Shooters Forum banner

300 wsm. Soft points or premium ammo for black bear

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  magnumitis 
#1 ·
Alright, got a question for ya. I got a 300 wsm I would like possibly take black bear hunting. The range is between 20 and 40 yds. This will be the first bear I have shot with a rifle. Do you think I should use a softpoint or premium ammo? Would it matter if the bear was over 300 lbs or so? What are your experiences? I just want a nice expanding bullet at close range hurky enough for a big blackie. If nothin else I will load the 444 malin with hornady flat points and wackem with that. Just thought it would be nice to have a scope in that dark forest at dusk. And honestly, if I am overthinkin this just tell me to pick a load and put it in the kill zone and everything will be ok. Thanks.

#2 ·
I've only shot two black bears, and both quite a long time ago. One was with a 257 Roberts, the other a 25-05. I couldn't tell you what bullets I used, although the Roberts was probably a 100 gr silvertip, and the 25-06 a Rem 120 gr of some sort. Neither were big bears, and both were shot in the noggin.

Some softpoints are 'premium', like the Nosler partition or Swift A-frame, and you'd do just fine with these starting at 165 gr. Just about any non-HP 180 gr will work fine, but don't be afraid to go with a 200 gr either. Given the range, I'd lean toward the intermediate or heavy bullets.

Are you buying factory ammo or reloading? Win XP3, Hornady Interlock, Federal premium loaded with NP (or a host of others) come to mind for factory ammo. Good luck!

#5 ·
I can't see how you could go wrong with a 180 grain Nosler Partition or 180 grain Nosler Accu-bond, either of which can be found in premium factory loads.

#6 ·
Winchester loads the 180gr XP3, 180gr Accubond and 180gr E-Tip for the 300 WSM and any would work fine. Shawn and BirdDog both mention the Nosler Partition which you could find in Federal Premium ammo. Double Tap has several really good loads as well. Good luck on the hunt !

#7 ·
Thousands of black bear of all sizes have been cleanly killed with the little 30-30, 170 grain flat nosed soft point. I would think that a 30-06 with cheap 180 grain Rem. cor-loks would be good medicine for any black bear. A good bullet of 165 grns or more out of a 300WSM will work just fine. Bullet placement is always the most important factor.

#8 ·
Thanks guys. I have decided on the partition. From what I have gathered from other forums the partition seems to be favored a little more. Now with that said, do you think a 180 gr. would expand properly at that range or should I shoot the 165 gr? I also hear some guys like to shoot through the front shoulder to hit the vitals, is the partition capable of that?

#9 ·
Either should work. But I'd probably tend to want to err on the side of too heavy rather than too light. At 20-40 yards, the bullet is going to be travelling very fast. A tough bullet (like the Partition) would be a good thing. A big, tough bullet would be more of a good thing.

I would grab a box of 180's and never look back. ;)

#10 ·
Sir,

Excellent choice. There are no flies on the partition bullet, and it will do extremely well for your intended use. While I agree that other soft point bullets would likley be fine most of the time, a bear hunt for me is a very special occasion, coming close to a once or thrice a lifetime event, so a little extra care in bullet selection gives you that much more confidence, espiecally if you have to take a shot at a non-standard angle. It means allot to me, and I expect as well to those of us that don't live in bear country, as we won't be able to "get em' next year".

Since you are going to be close, there is not penalty for going heavier in terms of reach, and the extra amount of weight will give you some more insurance there too, penetration wise. Partitions are fairly soft north of the partition line, so expansion will be up to snuff even on a soft body hit through and through presentation. I'd say with the 180 grain, and at yoru specified distance, your impact velocity will be in the 2800-2900 fps range, so I'm confident that you'll be satisifed with both expansion and penetration.

I've said before, and do believe that if a fellow knows he needs a soft point, use a soft point; if he knows he needs an expanding solid, use an expanding solid; but if he doesn't know what he needs, then he needs a partition.

Very capable cartridge the 300 WSM, I own one of those myself and it has exceeded my expectations in all categories to date.

Best of luck to you Sir.

Steve

#12 ·
.......a little extra care in bullet selection gives you that much more confidence, espiecally if you have to take a shot at a non-standard angle.
My philosophy, exactly. Always use enough bullet and more than enough gun.

whitehunter35 said:
.........if a fellow knows he needs a soft point, use a soft point; if he knows he needs an expanding solid, use an expanding solid; but if he doesn't know what he needs, then he needs a partition.
Somebody should carve that in a stone somewhere.

#11 ·
165 or 180gr. Partitions will work fine. I have shot small deer and pigs with both, using a .30-06.

At short range your 300 will be a little rough on bullets. The Partition is a good choice.

Have fun and good luck to you.

#15 ·
Well magnumitis, the hunt is in western Washington and opens Aug. 13th. I have found a swamp that is quite popular with the bears and have found some pretty hot trails that go in and out of that swamp with the use of trail cams. Since it is illegal to bait here I will set my stand where multiple trails cross. I am gonna try a soft rabbit squeal to stop the bear in my shooting lane and blow his vitals up with a nosler partition. I am freaking jacked up cause the wife is gone that weekend so I will have some time to spend in the stand. Wish me luck and I will try to post a pic if I get one. If I can figure how.lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.