Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchasing a Browning A-Bolt SS Boss - I'm interested in 30-06, dealer suggesting 300 WSM. I already have a 7MMREM Model 70 Featherweight, anyone have any direct hunting or shooting experience with a 300 WSM and if so, what advantage over standard 30-06?
JJ

·
Registered
827 Posts
No expirience shooting the WSM, but i understand the ballistics are about the same as a standard 300 Win Mag, so I guess it depends what you are interested in hunting and how you plan on hunting. IMHO the 7MM Mag, 30-06 and 300 Mag fit about the same niche, with a nod towards the mags for range and a nod towards the .30s for bullet weight.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,160 Posts
Hi JJ50,
I don't own one but have shot a couple at the range and chronographed them. Frankly, I'm not too big a magnum fan but I was impressed with these cartridges (I've shot the 300 and 270WSM). Both versions reached factory advertised velocities in sporter rifles, recoil was non-offensive and accuracy was good in all three rifles - a Browning in 300WSM and two Win 70's- one 300, one 270. About the only reason I can think of to NOT pick the 300WSM would be cost of ammo. Just my very limited experience! IDShooter

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info on the 300 wsm vs 30-06. I'm a traditional guy and it makes me lean towards the 30-06 but I also have been hearing very good things about the 300 WSM. The problem, as you have stated, is the cost of 300 WSM ammo. I note that Federal is now producing it, in addition to Winchester, but supply and distribution seem limited, allowing for current pricing in the + $30-35 range for 20 cartridges.

Decisions, decisions, I'll let you know which way I go.

JJ

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks on the .30-06 vs 300 WSM. I ordered the 30-06 and will pick it up Tuesday 11/5. I figure any cartridge that has been around 99 years, and still outsells all others, is good enough for me.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
I think you made the right choice. I honestly believe that to get significantly better performance on game than the .30-06 you have to jump up in caliber to the .338's and .358's. If you compare the .300 WSM (180-grain @ 2970 fps) to Hornady's Light Magnum '06 (180-grain @ 2900 fps) using equal length 24" barrels, you can see how underwhelming the newbie from Winchester really is.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,440 Posts
I'm with Bill. A good step up from the .30-06 is the .338 Win Mag, it provides a good increase in thump while being tolerable to the experienced '06 shooter. The .300 mags, are just buying you a little range with the increased velocity, since the bullet weights/diameters are the same.

If you don't need the extra range, then no point in the various .300 mags. If you do, by all means, start out with one.

Nothing wrong with the .300 mags, mind you, but they aren't a big step up from the .30-06, which itsself is a small step above the .308 Win.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,160 Posts
You're lucky! Neither of your options was a bad one. I'm sure the 30-06 will serve you well. ID

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually picked up my Browning A-BoltII, Stalker Stainless with BOSS in 30-06 on Saturday, 11/2. I mounted a Bushnell 3200 3X9 40MM scope and took it to my club. After "0"ing the scope using a total of 9 rounds, I grouped my last 3 rounds at 1.75" dead on. I will go back and do a final sight adjustment and then just sweeten the barrel with as many rounds through as I can before Deer season opens later this month. Thanks for your opinion on the 30-06 compared to the 300 WSM. From the feel of my new rifle, I think my choice will do me just fine. I'm shooting 180 gr. Nosler bullets factory loaded at this juncture. Will probably do my own reloading shortly, cut down on expenses.
JJ50

·
Registered
282 Posts
You made the right choice, maybe in a few years the short mags will still be selling, maybe not. I'd rather see some short mag .338's and .35's. Those make more sense than short .27's, 7mm and short .30's. Those 3 are the same ballistically(that don't look right!, how about ballisticly) as existing cartridges, and really, the 338-06 and 35 Whelen already exist as well. So, maybe the Big 3 are just trying to sell more guns?;) Well, they have to stay in business somehow right?

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, saw that piece before I made my final decision to go with the 30-06. Glad I did and glad I got some good advice from this forum. Thanks,
JJ50

·
Registered
871 Posts
Gentlemen,

Not sure about a short magnum 338, but I have a fair amount of expirenece with a 358 caliber short magnum, the 350 Rem Mag. When considering matching barrel lengths this little fireplug edges the wonderful 35 Whelen velocity wise. I'm wondering if Winchester and Remington had flashbacks when they started marketing thier new short magnums, as the 350 never did get off the ground, and by all reports all of the new shorties are doing well. Either that, or the mainstream shooting public just can't stand 35s.

Regards,

SR

·
Banned
548 Posts
You made the right choice, but for handloaders, its more difficult. I have both the 300 and 270 WSMs and use both factory and handloaded ammo.

The 300 WSM is easy to load to .308 Win or 30-06 velocities, with no loss in accuracy. These loads have less recoil than the '06, and leave the option of 300 Win Mag performance, if desired. Although compact, the 300 WSM still dirves hand loaded 220 gr bullets to 2750 fps, so the power is available if you need it.

The 300 WSM is also a fine varmint round with 110 gr PSPs at 3300 to 3800 fps. Again, accuracy is outstanding for all of these velocities, and the 3300 fps loads have very little recoil when you select the right powder.

However, if you are buying box ammo, the '06 is a better choice!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts