Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchasing a Browning A-Bolt SS Boss - I'm interested in 30-06, dealer suggesting 300 WSM. I already have a 7MMREM Model 70 Featherweight, anyone have any direct hunting or shooting experience with a 300 WSM and if so, what advantage over standard 30-06?
JJ

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info on the 300 wsm vs 30-06. I'm a traditional guy and it makes me lean towards the 30-06 but I also have been hearing very good things about the 300 WSM. The problem, as you have stated, is the cost of 300 WSM ammo. I note that Federal is now producing it, in addition to Winchester, but supply and distribution seem limited, allowing for current pricing in the + $30-35 range for 20 cartridges.

Decisions, decisions, I'll let you know which way I go.

JJ

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks on the .30-06 vs 300 WSM. I ordered the 30-06 and will pick it up Tuesday 11/5. I figure any cartridge that has been around 99 years, and still outsells all others, is good enough for me.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually picked up my Browning A-BoltII, Stalker Stainless with BOSS in 30-06 on Saturday, 11/2. I mounted a Bushnell 3200 3X9 40MM scope and took it to my club. After "0"ing the scope using a total of 9 rounds, I grouped my last 3 rounds at 1.75" dead on. I will go back and do a final sight adjustment and then just sweeten the barrel with as many rounds through as I can before Deer season opens later this month. Thanks for your opinion on the 30-06 compared to the 300 WSM. From the feel of my new rifle, I think my choice will do me just fine. I'm shooting 180 gr. Nosler bullets factory loaded at this juncture. Will probably do my own reloading shortly, cut down on expenses.
JJ50

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, saw that piece before I made my final decision to go with the 30-06. Glad I did and glad I got some good advice from this forum. Thanks,
JJ50

1 - 5 of 5 Posts