Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have accurate loads for the 300win mag     they would like to share?

Thanks
steve

·
The Shadow
7,449 Posts
Steve:
Many of us have accurate loads for our rifles, but as we don't have YOUR rifle we don't have an accurate load for it. Mass produced rifles all have a range of acceptable tolerances, and so are all different. Pickup your favorite reloading book and start at the starting load, it will be no better and no worse than anything else. Good marksmanship and loading are learned, not told.

Biggie:
Don't hijack others threads, it's not polite.
Unless you want to duplicate the velocity, you cannot duplicate the load. Factory ammo doesn't use canister grade powder(Nosler being the only exception), which is what you can buy. They also don't load powder by weight. If someone tells you otherwise, don't take load advice from that person.

Reactions: MontyF

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,710 Posts
Darker, the original post is 14 years old :eek: so I don't think Steve is going to mind much.

Biggy, he's right, you should have started another thread and left this one dead. Plus Darkers response is dead on.

RJ

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Since I haven't shot your rifle I can't give exact loads, but powders that have given excellent & accurate results in the past are:
Win. 760/ H-414 ( same powder different label ) & IMR-4350.

·
10,710 Posts
Well, he must have because he never came back.

We're not trying to run you off Biggie D, you're more than welcome.

You'll get some good advice here on how to find that perfect load, but as Darker stated, one of us telling you what our 300WM likes as far as powder, primer, bullet etc and saying it will work in yours is like telling the missus what purse to buy.

Now, she's not going to come right out and say the one you picked out is "perfect" OH NO!!! She'll shoulder the "old nasty one" for a couple more days, then go back to the store and get the one YOU picked thinking you won't notice. 33 years of experience tells me not to say anything except maybe "Nice purse"

Again WELCOME to the forum.

RJ

Reactions: Sus Scrofa

·
The Shadow
7,449 Posts
Darker, the original post is 14 years old :eek: so I don't think Steve is going to mind much.

RJ
Duped by a new guy digging-up old bones :eek:

But I think your correct, Steve provably doesn't care anymore:D

Reactions: SMK-1000plus

·
Registered
242 Posts
Very good accuracy with my SAKO 85 .300 Win. Mag. rifle using load data listed for Reloder19 and a variety of bullets from 130gr to 240gr. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Dom is that absolutely correct W760/H414 the same ???? Here in the UK it is virtually impossible to buy Win powders but I can get H414. Now Win 760 was a favourite of mine for one or two cartridges so you feel weight for weight H414 would duplicate 760??
Compared with you guys I am a pure novice on this reloading thingy. Have been doing it for over 35yrs but have only stuck with one or two powders that worked. I do like 414 but never knew it was the equivalent of 760.
Learn something every day. Thanks.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Here in the UK, it is virtually impossible to buy Win powders...
Why? I'd think your local shootin' shop would stock something "gun people" would snap up in a skinny minute...

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Why? I'd think your local shootin' shop would stock something "gun people" would snap up in a skinny minute...
For some unknown reason Win760 and Win748 are just not available. I have spent hours checking gun shops around the country to no avail but if H 414 subs, then I'm in clover.:D

·
10,710 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have two current burning rate charts one from Hodgon. They both show Win, 760 & H-414 one right after the other. I have been using both these powders in my 30-06,300 H&H, & 300 Win mag. for 30+ years. The two powders have always been totally compatible & are within + or - 1gr. This is right in line with lot to lot variations of any powder. But as always every rifle is different & loads should be worked up from a safe starting point. Hodgon also does this same switch like Win.540/HS-6, Win.571/HS-7, Win.296/H110. Other companies do this same practice we just don't know it. Hope this has been of some help.

·
The Shadow
7,449 Posts
I'll do you one better Sus.
H414=Win760=AA2700.
Not equivalent, the EXACT SAME powder, ANY difference is simply normal lot variation. All made by General Dynamics St. Marks Florida plant. Simply a question of what bottle gets filled for the order, otherwise they are identical.

·
Registered
11,951 Posts
I'll do you one better Sus.
H414=Win760=AA2700.
Not equivalent, the EXACT SAME powder, ANY difference is simply normal lot variation. All made by General Dynamics St. Marks Florida plant. Simply a question of what bottle gets filled for the order, otherwise they are identical.
Are there any other Accurate powders that have mates in the Hodgdon or Winchester lines?

·
The Shadow
7,449 Posts
Not that I an aware of, but other than 2700 I am weak on Accurate powder lines.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts