Shooters Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,275 Posts
I have thought of using the IMR 4350 but not sure how well it works in climate or altitude change.
IMR or Hod are both good choices just follow the recommended starting loads in a manual. The 4831 powders may also give you good results, your just going to have to find out what your rifle likes.

· Registered
1,340 Posts
I have thought of using the IMR 4350 but not sure how well it works in climate or altitude change.
Hey there Biggie d. I live & shoot on my own range at an elevation between 7600' & 7700' . Have shot & chronographed many powders in various cal's with no problem. That includes all of the various 4350's. I have shot these loads at lower elevations & higher with no problems. These loads have been shot in summer weather & very cold winter hunting situations. No problems. Hope this helps a bit.

· Registered
1,340 Posts
Thank you it all helps I live in Indiaina but am going to be hunting in Colorado so I was concerned about the change.
If you have a rifle with a wood stock where the barrel is bedded against the wood this can be a problem. Wood likes to move around with changing elevations & moisture conditions. This moves the barrel, sometimes a lot. Under this situation free float the barrel. If your barrel is already free floated your in good shape. But "No Matter What" as others have said recheck your zero after you arrive.

· Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
12,515 Posts
Thank you it all helps I live in Indiaina but am going to be hunting in Colorado
Where pray-tell? Hmm? 13, 11, 211, 3, 4 . . . . . .

RJ

· Registered
770 Posts
4350 Data/4831

Biggie back in the 1950;s we bought "4350 data" in 100 lb kegs (at $35 per keg!!) before it was labeled as 4831. Since then I used 4831 in my 300 H&H and other belted magnums (I load .264 WinMag, 7mm Rem, 300 Weaatherby AI, .458 Win, and 30/338-. .308 NORMA). As the 4350/4831 got scarce around here I have tried changing over to the Western Canon powders. I now load my 30-06 using WC852 and my favorite magnum powder now is WC860. I am however strongly tempted by the WC 867 and/or WC 872 if I can get some advice from anyone who uses them. Several burn rate charts on the Net do not list the burnrate for the WC powders. So far I have my best advice from Humpy. Jack in Oregon

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.