Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for accurate hard hitting load data for 300WSM using 180gr Bullets to take on a south africa plains game hunt. Targeted game is Impala, Warthog, Kudu, Gemsbuck, Zebra maybe one or two others. Outfitters requires .30 cal and up. Originally thought to take my trusty 308 but, decided on a little more power and will take a custom Model 7 with 22" barrel I had fixed up in 300WSM.

I have purchased Nosler Accubond, Barnes TTSX, and Swift Scirrocco II all in 180 gr. have thought to purchase Swift A-frame and Nosler partition but, have been told the Scirrocc II and accubond does everything the Partition and A-Frame does and with better accuracy. I am open minded. Powders I have available are: RL19, RL17, IMR 4350, H4350, H4831sc, IMR78728, IMR7828SSC, little low n the H4831sc but, plenty of the rest. Have a little load date for the TTSX and Accubond but, nothing at all for the Scirrocco at all. I have a call into Swift but, the balliistician has not called me back yet.

Your load data info would be much appreciated thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
Rex, we just got back from South Africa. I have no 300 WSM load data to offer, but all the bullets you mention should work well, and 180 grs is a good choice. I'd pick the one that shoots the best in your rifle. We used 250 gr NP's in a 338 WM, and 140 gr NP's in a 7mm-08. The 338 for eland, waterbok, nyala, warthog, impala, and baboon. The 7mm-08 for impala, warthog, and gemsbok. All with IMR 4350 handloads.

I've never shot one, but I hear the zebra will be the toughest. Good luck, and we look fwd to your hunt report!

·
Banned
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shawn, Yes I have been curious about the Zebra. Thin skin but a very thick tough, muscular animal! I have been playing a bit with the TTSX and have been very impressed with the weight retention and the way the petals open up and cut through as they twist through the target.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sir,

My 300 WSM shoots the 180 Accubond extremely well, and this is where my head went immediately when reading your question. The powder to beat was IMR 4831, at just a tick under Nosler Max.

I also think that you are well intended to take another load, and possibly switch out if you had any question of penetration, but honestly I do think you are fine here. If so, I would think on the 180/ 200 Nosler Part, and the X bullets from 165 and up.

Best to you Sir,

Steve

Reactions: RexS

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
Rex, I'll offer up a few more opinions. :)

Just like all of North America, much of South Africa will vary in brush density and available ranges, but most of your shots will be under 100m, I'll bet. The 300WSM has some decent velocity, and consider that inside of 100m and how your chosen bullet might perform.

In my experience, the A-frame is a bit tougher than the NP at higher velocities, but the A-frame may not open much at lower velocities (extended range). The Barnes bullets tend to hold together and retain weight very well, but tend not to open very wide in comparison. The NP's tend to expand well at a wide range of velocities and shed the front at higher velocities, with rear shank almost always intact. The bonded tipped bullets I don't have much experience with, either personally, or with friends.

If I have any advice, don't get too hung up on pinpoint accuracy because I don't think you'll need it for the ranges or animals on your list. If pinpoint accuracy gives you confidence, then go down that path. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Although you can't buy the Winchester XP3 bullet as a component it's the best of both worlds. The Winchester Supreme line of ammo has the 180gr XP3 for the 300 WSM. Compared to the bullets you've listed it has a B.C. of .527 verses the 180gr Swift A-frame of .400 and the 180gr NP of .474. Compared to the Accubond and Scirocco both of which have a weight retention of about 70% the XP3 is more in line with the TTSX. The XP3 has a weight retention of 95%, the front half of the bullet is a solid copper and the rear portion has a lead core with a 2 stage expansion. It also has the 4 petals that peel down like the TTSX. The 180gr Swift has a BC of .520 and the Accubond 180gr is at .507. Loaded to a velocity of 3010 from a 24" barrel, gives you a good option to try. I've never been to South Africa, good luck to ya !

http://www.winchester.com/Products/rifle-ammunition/Innovative/XP3/Pages/SXP300S.aspx

·
Banned
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fred243

Thanks so much! I followed the Link and saw the XP3 bullet you are talking about…WOW! looks great! If it's as accurate as the Win Silvertips I think I may have found the best of both worlds (accuracy and punch) in a factory box! Those Win Silvertips seem to make me shoot like a movie Star in almost every caliber! Sometimes I wonder why I hand load! - I'll give them a try if they shoot good I may not bother with spending a ton of time hand loading! Plus I think from what Shawn is saying about most all shots being relatively close I doubt I need to be worried about 4" groups at 600yds Ha!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I loadfor my sons 300 WSM in 180 and 165 gr loads. The RL powders you have will be great. Go to Alliants website and use their recommendations. His gun and mine seem to shoot best a few grains off max. In the 300 WSM w/ 65 gr or so loads best to back off 4 or 5 grains, I suspect.

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
I shot tiny groups from 100 yards with 65.0 grains of H4831SC or 65.0 grains of RL-22 in my 300WSM when using 180-grain MatchKing bullets. Muzzle velocity was right around 2900 fps. Bear in mind that the rifle was a custom-built job with a fat, 31-inch, 1:10 Krieger barrel and had had the action both pillar- and glass-bedded into a benchrest-type stock. I think I was using an 8-32X scope. Might have been a 10-40X in a 30mm tube. Can't remember...

·
Banned
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
langenc and nvshooter,

Got a friend telling me that the RL powders are "very heat sensitive" and to "stay away from them". What are your thoughts on that? I will be testing loads this week here in North Texas at temperatures possibly ranging from 70-90 and am going to South Africa at the end of July which is their winter in what should be pretty similar temperatures. Should be about 50 - 75 degrees so I am not crazy worried but, would like to hear opinions of others.

thanks in Advanced

RexS

·
Registered
327 Posts
No 300 WSM experience on game but I've used/seen used a 300 Win Mag as a second rifle on 4 plains game hunts, Namibia (1x) SA (3x). We loaded the Barnes 180 XBT to 3050 with R22. This is a very easy velocity to reach in a 300 WSM) We never had a problem with that load from 20 deg to 120 deg ( Namibia for one hunt) Worked swell on everything from Impala , Blesbuck, Warthog, Kudu, hartebeest , Gemsbuck ( the ones in Namibia are huge!)to Zebra/Wildebeast and everything in between but no Eland ( I'm still sad about that one, a) I would, howver, to hedge your bet, use Hogdon Extreme Powder instead. One had to be pretty precise in aiming with the 300 on the Blue Wildebeast and the Zebra. I used Barnes bullets in my 35 Whelen Imp, Failsafe factory ammo in .375 H&H, Barnes in 338 win and 340 W. Every zebra I killed ( 3 and several others I saw taken) had very thick skin and super dense muscle/bone. so, from my own experience, I suggest any Barnes or mono bullet ( the XP3 does look good) just to be safe as you may not get the perfect broadside shot. In fact, zebra often are twisted/angled and the stripes are swell at giving an optical illusion, ha. I also noted during necropsy how the "x" petals cut through instead of a bullet that wadded up and "blew through", very noticeable. I had a friend that won a browning in 300 WSM went to British Columbia for Dall sheep and Mountain goat. I loaded the Barnes 168 TSX for him ( I can't find my notes on it, but it was a book max load I recall) and he did fine on both animals. The goat would be comparable to a dense muscle/bone animal, even id he is a bit thin skinned, i.e. Gemsbuck. I would use the 180 for Plains game, especially on the big animals. Gemsbuck have their vital in the bottom 1/3 of their chest, so be aware. You are in for a wonderful time! Have a ball!

·
Registered
935 Posts
3 years ago I took my 338 WM on a plains game hunt in South Africa. I went there using the 210gr Barnes TXS. The only thing it really slapped to the ground was an 80 lb warthog. With a perfect 60 yard broadside shot the bullet failed on a zebra. Almost lost the animal. While the bullet and other Barnes hunting bullets share a great reputation I found them mediocre in the field and a genuine pain to develop good loads for. If I ever get back with my 338 WM I'd use the 250 Nosler Partition.

I don't have a 300 WSM but the first bullet I'd consider is again, the 180gr Nosler Partition. I love the A Frame design as well as the Interbond designs but IMO penetration is king in Africa. The NP is known to drill straight holes very deep into and thru critters. But I still think the A Frames would do a good job as would the Interbond type bullets.

But by all means if you have a chance to hunt Africa, go. It is an education.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts