Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just new to this site, I bought a 303-25 a coupla months ago and got some cartridges with it aswell as reloading dies but i dont have a press. would any body know where i could buy new ammunition if it is still made.. Any info would be much apreciated!

Regards Donnan

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Welcome aboard, Donnan.

The bad news is that no commercial ammo for the wildcat .303-.25 was ever made. It's strictly a "do it yourself" deal. You are VERY fortunate that dies came with the rifle, or you'd probably have to have some custom made.

Looks like you just became a reloader!

I've read articles about the round, but all are quite old so loading data in them might not be reliable today. A reloading program like "Load From a Disk" or "Quick Load" would help you work up data. Lacking even that, I'd be happy to provide some tentative load suggestions once you're ready and set up for reloading.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Rocky Raab said:
Welcome aboard, Donnan.

The bad news is that no commercial ammo for the wildcat .303-.25 was ever made. It's strictly a "do it yourself" deal. You are VERY fortunate that dies came with the rifle, or you'd probably have to have some custom made.

Looks like you just became a reloader!

I've read articles about the round, but all are quite old so loading data in them might not be reliable today. A reloading program like "Load From a Disk" or "Quick Load" would help you work up data. Lacking even that, I'd be happy to provide some tentative load suggestions once you're ready and set up for reloading.

303/25 ammo was commercially available for many years here in australia.But it hasnt been made for quite awhile now.There are some shops who are still loading this and selling it in their shops.Are you in australia?If so i can steer you in the right direction.But it will cost you a LOT less to reload it yourself mate.I form and load my own and it is a top round for spotlighting.I know a couple pro shooters who still have one in the cab of their truck for windy nights.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Im not sure what you mean about the wildcat sucking mate?Back after WW2 the govt made it very hard to own a exmil rifle in exmil calibres.A lot of 303 were reamed to change the dimensions a bit or rebarreled to another calibre like 303/25,303/243,303/270.So its not a new thing for australia to have crap gun laws.New Zealand is looking to be a better place everytime the govt takes another bit of our sport and enjoyment.Only thing is there are to many Kiwis there hahahah.

·
Registered
41 Posts
From ADI's website ( Australia);
Bullet weight, Powder, Bll, Maximum gns, vel.

87gn AR2206 24" - 34.00gn 3050 fps
87 AR2208 24" - 37.00 3050
87 AR2209 24" - 41.00 3050
100 AR2206 24" - 31.00 2850
100 AR2208 24" - 33.50 2850
100 AR2209 24" - 38.00 2850
117 AR2206 24" - 28.00 2700
117 AR2208 24" - 31.00 2700
117 AR2209 24" - 36.00 2700

AR2206 is a substitute for IMR3031, AR2208 is Varget and AR2209 is a substitute for IMR4350.

I've got best results with Varget and 87gn bullets.
I also found Remington .303 brass easiest to form to .303/25.

Kirby.

·
Banned
208 Posts
I am using 2209 with magnum primers.Sierra 87gn sp.My smle is a old one.1923.I wouldnt load the smle to the adi book max.It would be alright to work up to it in a P14.38 gns of 2209 is what im using.Very accurate too.

I was a bit bored the other night and gave it a bit of scrim,dont worry its not permanent

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a .303-25 about 10 years ago and found it very suitable for our Aussie game. Reloading isn't a problem despite some variations in chambers. (The .303 case headspaces on the rim). Just run a .303 case with plenty of lube on the neck into the die you have. New unprimed brass works best. I used a 250-3000 seating die to seat projectiles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hobo11

just purchased 100 303/25 cases from bettington ammo supplies at mogo,new south wales.Also a company called av ballistics advertises them at aud$110.00 per 100 .super simplex dies(5/8 thread)
and master simplex dies(7/8 thread) are available through jansa arms co australia.all the best
hobo11

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just new to this site, I bought a 303-25 a coupla months ago and got some cartridges with it aswell as reloading dies but i dont have a press. would any body know where i could buy new ammunition if it is still made.. Any info would be much apreciated!

Regards Donnan
Hi I'm only new as well to this site you can order new brass from the Rebel Gun Works in Adelaid they only have about 300 left so be quick I also have a 303-25 and the best load that I have worked out so far is 34 grains of AR2209 with a 115 grain Nosler on top it's a great load for pigs at just about any distancethis load is near it's maximum though depending on on your barrel length and the age of the rifle I would recommend a starting load of 30 grains of AR2209 then work your way up! The maximumload is 26Grains of AR2209 behind the 115 grain projectile. But you can drop the size of the projectile and the the powder wieght

·
Registered
233 Posts
in reply to rocky raab.--fact is it was made and still is was made by riverbrand and one company in south australia. is still made by bertram bullets australia. brass is easier to get from bertram. have prbably 400 rds my self but i dont shoot them because of there age--brass embrittlement.in all honesty i would leave the old 25 as a wall hanger myself as i have done,but if are dead set up for it,go and enjoy.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The desire to build or own a wildcat caliber is more of pride of ownership or just having something different than any other reason.There are more than enough modern commercial cartridge choices to fill all hunting needs anywhere. I too like something different and have considered building on the old .303 case because I had a .303 military sporterized rifle as my first center fire and my Dad owned a Parker hale Sporting .303 that was dream to shoot. I just like tinkering with things. I also like the rimmed cases because sizing is less critical than shoulder spacing of rimless cartridges. Neck sizing is all that is required for and preferred reloading rimless cartridges to be used in the same gun. Despite what I have heard from others people, the .303 rimmed case has always fed very well in both the magazines and through the action without problems for me as long as they are loaded into the magazine properly. A new quality barrel would be a must for me if I was going to spend considerable money to build .25/303 as I like reasonably accurate rifles. There are very few animals outside of Africa that cannot be hunted well with a .25/.303. Today's obsession with monster magnum rifles to shoot small deer at 400 yards doesn't interest me much. What ever happened to stalking game to within reasonable ranges?? To me the stalking is the best part of the hunt.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The 303 based cartridges are very good and were mostly designed by a fellow named Epps to utilize the large amount of brass available after the war. I have had two different Epps calibers [6mm and 25 caliber]. If you start reloading you will be very happy with the results not to mention the reduction in price of ammunition. I never shoot factory ammo because of the price and lately it is scary the price of factory ammo.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Elwood EPPs passed away a few years ago and was located in Orillia Area on Ontario. I live in southern Ontario. I never met Elwood but did have several phone conversations with him a couple of years before he passed away. I grew up with a sporterized .303 always in our home and later owned 3 different .303 myself including the Jungle carbine that kicked much harder due to stock design than a .303 should have. Parker Hale made a beautiful sporter .303 and my Dad owned one for a while. I see one for sale for $250 locally and am tempted to buy it. The Parker Hale was not military, was a beautiful rifle and recoiled like a ***** cat due to excellent stock design.The .303 was wildcatted to many calibers and for many years here in Canada the .303 accounted for more MOOSE every year than all other cartridges combined right up until the late 70's when other calibers became more popular. I am sure there still 1000's of .303 rifles still in regular use for hunting here. Any country that was under British rule was swamped with them after WW11. Wildcats of .25 and 27 caliber were most common and useful for hunting. Some were necked up and blown out to bigger calibers, especially in Africa for larger game and some here for big brown bears.
They are not as pretty as modern sport rifles but they were built to be reliable and tough and they still get the job done and bring home the meat every year for many hunters.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Elwood Epps probably created more wildcat cartridges from .303 British than any one else. He was a well respected gunsmith and also created many other fine and useful wildcats. His .303 improved was about the same velocity as a 3006 and very popular here.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'd think the 303-25 would be very close to the 250 Savage in power. I'd like to try the 303-35 though as it seems that it would be a powerful cast bullet shooter that would be effective on most game with a 250 Grain flat nosed bullet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd think the 303-25 would be very close to the 250 Savage in power. I'd like to try the 303-35 though as it seems that it would be a powerful cast bullet shooter that would be effective on most game with a 250 Grain flat nosed bullet.
I use a 100gn RCBS cast in my SMLE No.4. I also have a P14 which can run loads that match the 257 Roberts. Interesting about the mention of Epps as I recently purchased a P14 in 303Epps Improved which can be loaded to exceed the 30.06.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Don't know how I missed this earlier on, but very interesting because I was tempted to go for a 303/25 wildcat set up, but eventually went for the rimmed 7x57 case. It was a lot easier to obtain in the UK and from what I gleaned was likely to stand more sessions of being put through the resizer. I had a P17 303 many moons ago and it shot brilliantly and killed a lot of deer, but I found the cases stretched alarmingly. Don't seem to be getting this with the 7x57 cases necked and blown to 25 cal, at the moment. Seems my wildcat fairly well matches the 303 version as I am getting close to the 3050fps mentioned. I love 25 calibres but for all its problems with cases, I still rue the day I sold that P17.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts