Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for cheap surplus .303 british rounds? anyone got a good source? What are you currently paying? Seems the price has gone up on these a bit :(

Thanks,

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
It seems the cost of all surplus ammo has gone up, and that's IF you can find any! I don't even want to talk about how much I paid for 50 rounds of US 30 ammo, the other day. :mad:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems the cost of all surplus ammo has gone up, and that's IF you can find any! I don't even want to talk about how much I paid for 50 rounds of US 30 ammo, the other day. :mad:
I could always find some at the local gun show but that seems to have changed... Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
That sounds like a good deal to me! thanks for the info, I will try a few boxes and report back about them.

Thanks,
Just be aware , some of this ammo may crode your barrel . Wash out with soap and water after a trip to the range . I have seen a few rifles with good strong rifling go south- after not attending to this "cleaning" the same day . That is why so may 303's have washed out barrels .

It might be better to just reload some brass with Lead bullets . It is then a cheap outing , and no wear to the gun .
Get a reloading kit from Lee . Wise to neck size the brass from your gun.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Update:

I returned the box of 50 US 30 Carbine ammo ($32) and picked up 500 once-fired brass from a friend of a friend. I then ordered 500 Sierra 110gr SP bullets for $90, including shipping. I already have H110 and small rifle primers on-hand, but if you factor in the cost for those, it's approximately another $50, to load 500 rounds.

So, the grand total for 50 rounds was $32 and to reload 500, it's $140. Doing the math, that's a savings of $180, or nearly 60% less than buying 500 new rounds. In addition, my son and I will have a fun project we can do together and he's glad to help since he'll be the one shooting up most of these rounds. :)

303 surplus ammo? I'm sure it's out there and cheaper than I paid for new ammo, but the way prices are going, I think I'll be spending even more time at the reloading bench than usual.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Well I was a bit confused . This thread started out with the 303 B and suddenly I see 30 Carbine .
I was wondering how the primers and 110 power was getting to the 303 B.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Well I was a bit confused . This thread started out with the 303 B and suddenly I see 30 Carbine .
I was wondering how the primers and 110 power was getting to the 303 B.
I couldn't find the surplus 30 carbine ammo, just as the OP couldn't find 303 Brit surplus. Seems supplies of all the above are drying up, so it's time to start reloading, even for ex-military stuff, I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts