Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried AR Comp powder in their 307 Win?
I just picked up a pound of this powder which i found in a small gunshop. Speer showed it producing really high velocities in the 307. We'll see about that.
thanks
CJ

·
Registered
359 Posts
AR comp will probably be your favorite powder .. Works great in my 35-300 . Highest velocity with lowest deviation . . Primers and pressure signs look really good. . With 200 gr ftx . So it should work great with 160gr ftx. 30396 in your 307 . Another powder you may want to try is Alliant varmint, and hodgdon LVR gives my 30-30 AI-AX 2500 fps with this bullet with no signs of pressure at all ...

·
Registered
359 Posts
What's your velocity with the 170gr. .
I've been thinking about trying the 140 gr.
mono oflex.. just for fun .. see what it's capable of. .. with 335 or AR comp.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Been a while since I chrono’ed them, but I was getting about 10-15% above what I got with 170’s in my 30 30. That 307 load is very efficient on deer.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm excited about it....hopefully things will go well. It looked like it should meter well, looking very similar to RL-15, but I had trouble with some inconsistencies, metering then weighing every charge. The Speer load data also seemed very ambitious going up to 44.6 grs with the 150 gr bullet. I stopped at 44.5 gr and it was compressed, as was the charge before that at 44.0. Part of that might be my fault, i happened to be using a batch of my heaviest brass, approx. 183.3gr, whereas I had brand new brass sitting there waiting for me to use which all average around 181 gr. I'm not sure whether that extra space is perceivable to my eye but I'm sure I may see the difference in the pressures, thus velocity. I'll probably have to try this same batch of loads again with the light brass just to see the difference. We'll see whether i can even make it up to the highest charges without having to stop due to pressure signs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts