Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Winchester 94 in .370 with 5 boxes of factory ammo, put a Leupold 1x4 on it. Makes a neat, light, fairly powerful (for deer) handy little rifle. Anyone have any experience hunting with a 307 ? I like hunting with levers as most of my hunting is Adirondack mountains or on my land which is almost the same, short shots, sometimes quickley. good day all, jay

·
Banned
91 Posts
307win

I've hunted with the 307win for years.I use it for the same hunting conditions I would use my Savage M99F or 99B 300 Savage,Win M1895's in 30/40 Krag or 303 British or Sako Finnwolf in 308Win.i'll line them up to show you.

Factory 150gr
307Win 2660fps-2438fpe,shaved 100fps off for 20in barrel
308Win 2820fps-2648fpe
303Brit 2690fps-2400fpe
300Sav 2630fps-2303fpe

Factory 180gr
307Win 2410fps-2419fpe,shaved off 100fps for 20in barrel
308Win 2620fps-2743fpe
30/40 Krag 2430fps-2360fpe
300Sav 2350fps-2207fpe
303Brit 2460fps-2420fpe

Handloads neither the 307Win or 308win pick up anything with handloads.The 307win because ballistics are already inflated with quoting from 24in barrel.When it only comes with 20in barrel.The 308win can't really be loaded any hotter than thefactory.In fact with handloads they are both down in velocity and energy.

Handloads 150gr
307Win 2604fps-2255fpe,Hodgdon
308Win 2800fps-2612fpe,Nosler
300Sav 2800fps-2610fpe,Hornady
303Brit 2755fps-2525fpe,Hodgdon
No good 150gr handload for 30/40 Krag.I handload the 150gr Speer in my Win M1895 in 30/40 Krag at 2800fps out of 28in barrel.

Handloads 180gr
307win 170gr 2535fps-2425fpe,Hodgdon
308Win 2500fps-2499fpe,Nosler
30/40 Krag 2500fps-2497fpe,Handloader
300Sav 2400fps-2303fpe,Sierra
303Brit 2540fps-2575fpe,VihtaVuori

No 180gr handloads for the 307win,but I handload a 180grRN in mine at 2400fps (max)out of 20in barrel.

So now you see wher it falls in comparision to other lever action rounds.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Congrats on your new gun. I have the cousin version of it in 356 Win. If you need loads, I have Mic McPherson's load manual as well as the good old Speer book. Dave Scovill? wrote a good article on the 307 Win. about a year or so ago in Rifle's Handloader. Basically, he calls the 307 Win. one of the best deer calibers/rifle combo's period. Don't have that one anymore but you may be able to find the back issue. Let me know about the loads if wanted...sorry don't have any hunting experience with this caliber. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Enforcer and Chris,
Thanks for replies, lots of good info guys. It will be a while before I'll be reloading as I have 100 factory loads. That should get me till next summer and by then I'll have dies and bullets. But what a great package with the Leupold 1x4. a carry all day gun, comes up real nice also. Only thing left is the offhand practice on deer targets. This gun has wood thats easy on the eyes, real nice,almost too nice, good for looking at while on watch. Best of luck this season........jay

·
Banned
6 Posts
I own a winchester m 94 xtr in .307. This gun has dropped many deer, from 30 yards to 275 yards. I hunt with 150gr. flatnose, for safety while in the magazine, and because I've never seen a problem with the performance of the bullet. That is a great rifle you have hang on to it.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,993 Posts
Welcome to the board, Hank Sr. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hello and welcome Hank Sr.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Thanks guys, i found out about this forum on the perfect union bbs. It seems like you all have a wider array of subjects,which is good because I have a wide array of guns.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hank Sr. - you will have to tell us about them now, you know. You can't just tease like that, and say nothing more! :D

·
Banned
6 Posts
Weatherby Mark V Deluxe .300 wby mag, 3.5-10x50 leupold
Winchester M 94 AE XTR .307
Remington M 700 .270 4-12x50 leupold vari-x II
Ruger mini-14 ranch rifle, tasco accudot
Ruger 10-22
Remington nylon 66 .22lr
Remington M 700 MLS .50, 1.5-5 leupold vari-x III
Mossberg 835 ulti-mag
Stevens singleshot .410
Remington M 1100 12 ga.
Browning Buckmark .22 lr
Colt Delta elite gold cup 10mm

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well, I am speachless now.

Nice assortment. Mine is:

Mannlicher-Schoenauer 30.06
Mossburg 500 12 ga.
Colt Trooper III in .357 Mag.
S&W Model 60 Chiefs Special in .38 S&W

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Well years ago I read some of Slims experiance's with the 307 Winchester.
I am trying to find them on this forum but not much luck .

Well !!Yesterday I too am a proud owner of a 307 Winchester AE.

We are in the middle of a move, so it might be awhile to get loading for this rifle, and Ammo is as scarce as hens teeth here in central Ontario Canada .
There are a few Winnie's in the safe and think this one might have it's home .
Happy

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can use 308 Winchester dies with a 30-30 base to reload 307 cartridges, but do not use 308 Winchester reloading recipes. 307 Winchester reloading recipes are generally 3 to 4 grains less than 308 Winchester.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am from New Zealand and use a 307 for hunting red deer and pigs in the bush. awesome little rifles and great calibre for bush hunting. Shot a red stag couple weeks back and it just dropped like a sack of spuds

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've been lurking this forum and others for a long time reading about others' experience with the .307 Winchester Big Bore and I've really enjoyed the posts. Great stuff so here's my first post and my two cents on a rifle and caliber I have really come to love. I have an early model Win .307 AE with standard checkering and absent the cross bolt safety. It came with sling swivels and a peep sight. I do all of my buck hunting from the ground (still hunting and stand hunting) and mostly on state land in Mass and CT where my shots generally range between 20 yards and 150 yards. I also hunt the big woods of Potter County PA and some private land here in CT where shots of 300, 400 or 500 yards are possible.

For my style of hunting I decided to remove the peep sight and install an older Bushnell 1.5 to 5 power scope with elevation adjustment dial. I find this relatively low power scope to be a great fit for the .307 rifle. When I'm still hunting I use the scope on 1.5 power and can throw the rifle up in a hurry when I jump a shooter buck. When I'm stilling on my stool or a rock or standing by a tree on a ridge where I may get a 200 yard shot I crank the scope up to 5 power.

Before I bought the .307 Big Bore I owned and loved my two 94s in .30-.30 caliber and one in .32 special. I knew very little about the performance of the .307 cartridge when I bought the rifle other than it was based off the .308 and more powerful than the .30-30. Hunting with a rifle that handled like a 94 with the knockdown power of a .308 intrigued me, especially since I hunt from the ground. At the time of the purchase my Ruger .270 Hawkeye and Winchester Mod 70 featherweight .30-06 were my main deer rifles. I bought the .307 94 Big Bore three years ago thinking I'd have some fun with it for a few years and then trade it or sell it for something else. Four rack bucks later it has become my favorite and most often used rifle for buck hunting.

I've read in other threads about "delayed" kills with factory ammo. I don't reload so I'm shooting Winchester factory 150 and 180 grain power points and based on my four buck kills with my .307 I would agree in most cases the bucks do run/stumble thirty, forty or fifty yards before piling up when good kill shots are made. If that is what is meant by "delayed" kills then I agree the bucks I have shot with 150 grain ammo that ranged in size from 130 to 170 pounds field dressed did not drop in their tracks. Two of the bucks were "basket" 7 points shot from the same ridge. Another was a nice rutting 8 point and the most recent was a heavy and wide 10 point rack shot in the big woods of Potter County, PA.

The first buck killed, a basket 7, was center punched on a slightly quartering away shot at 85 yards after I grunted him up from his bed with a 150 grain bullet. There were entrance and exit wounds. The exit wound was not much larger than the entrance wound. The buck ran up the ridge about 60 yards (thank you kindly!) and then dropped dead. There was a minimal amount of blood to follow from the location of the hit to the location of the fall. There was a lot of blood in the animals body cavity and the vitals were pretty devastated but the rib cage, spine and meat were not very damaged and I didn't find any holes in the hide from bullet fragmentation nor any evidence of fragmentation inside the body cavity. It did not appear as if the bullet expanded a whole lot or exploded. All of the deer I had previously shot with my .280, .270 and .30-06 dropped where they stood with one shot. The deer I had previously shot with my .30-30 and .35 Rem both ran farther than this deer and the other deer I have shot with the .307 before falling.

The next buck killed with the .307 was a nearly identical basket 7 shot from the same ridge but from 40 yards instead of 80 yards. This buck was center punched with a 150 grain bullet on a broadside shot that entered just behind the front foreleg and exited in the same place on the other side. Once again there wasn't much difference between the entrance and exit hole and not much of a blood trail. Enough to follow but I did have to "look" for blood. The exit wound was not spraying blood or spurting blood as the deer ran off after the shot. This deer ran about 25 yards up the other ridge and piled up. No evidence inside the body cavity of much bullet fragmentation and once again there was lots of blood pooled up in the cavity. Round nose bullets are generally pretty heavily constructed compared to ballistic tips and others so the internal organs in the direct path of the bullet show plenty of damage but once again there was no fragmentation damage or fragmentation exit holes.

Two weeks ago I used a 180 grain bullet and shot a nice 8 point with small sticker that field dressed 170 pounds. This buck was rutting and walked right up on me and was center punched (right behind the front foreleg) at about 35 yards while slightly quartering toward me. The bullet entered behind the left front foreleg and exited at an angle about in the middle of the rib cage. No evidence of fragmentation inside the body cavity and internal organs that were in the path of the bullet were badly damaged. Lots of blood pooled up in the body cavity. This buck ran about 30 yards downhill after being shot then piled up.

This past Monday I was hunting mountain bucks in Potter County PA. as I have for the last 25 seasons and I grabbed the .307 BB for the first day hunt. I hiked in pretty deep climbing to the top of what seemed like a 2,000 foot ridge before sitting on a glacial rock formation that made the perfect rifle stand adjacent to a bedding area and beach tree stand with Southern exposure and a steep gorge/ridge that descended to a creek bottom below. At 1 p.m. a nice 10 point buck with a wide and heavy rack got up from his bed and went for a walk about at the wrong time! He descended the mountain then hit a bench and took a right hand turn in my direction and started walking laterally toward me. The shot presented a very steep angle because I was near the peak of the summit and the shale gorge below was billy goat steep. I misjudged the distance of the shot and missed clean firing over his back on the first shot. He bounded twice then ran in my direction a bit more then stopped broadside to me at 90 yards. By this time I realized the true distance and that I didn't need to compensate for bullet drop. Because of the steep angle of the shot my next shot entered near the top of his spine just forward of his midpoint and exited out the bottom part of the opposite side of his rib cage. The deer dropped in his tracks and slid down the steep shale mountainside about twenty yards to the next bench before coming to rest near a dead fall. For a moment he attempted to crawl under the dead fall by pulling himself forward with his front legs. I center punched him and he died instantly. I watched him in my binocs for fifteen minutes then slid down the shale on my butt to inspect his rack! What a beauty! His rack is symmetrical and wide and is my best PA mountain buck and he's in the process of being mounted as we speak. The bullet that hit his spine cut his spine in two and expanded and appears to have fragmented a bit. That makes sense because the spine is very hard bone. When he was caped we found a couple of small fragment holes on the side of the hide where the bullet was exiting and a fairly large part of the bullet appears to have fragmented a bit and ripped a fairly deep and wide channel in one of the back straps! Ouch! The finishing bullet created a typical entrance and exit wound. Once again I was using 180 grain factory Winchester Power Points. When I gutted the deer there were bone fragments from the shattered spine inside the body cavity and some fragmentation but the meat was in pretty good shape except for the one back strap which sadly I think I will lose part of.

At the time of the first buck kill I was a bit surprised the deer didn't fall in its tracks like they do with my .270 and .30-.06 and I was worried I made a bad hit. Now I'm used to the performance of the rifle and bullets and I know big bucks will go 30 or 40 yards in most cases when hit well with factory .370 ammo including the 180 grain bullets. I prefer when they drop in their tracks but I love this rifle as a stalking/ground hunting rifle. The balanced handling and lever action are superior in my opinion to stalking with one of my bolt actions so this is the rifle I grab from the rack most often. Bottom line is if you hit the deer right it's not hard to find them when they pile up after 35 yards.

I did have one bad hit on a big 8 point rack buck in upstate New York that walked past me at 7 yards. He was rutting and not paying attention and I had to let him walk past me at five yards before I could raise my rifle without him noticing. He was quartering away at 15 yards when I shot him. Somehow I hit him in the high on the hind quarter. The shot shattered his femur and left a blood trail a blind man could follow. I missed on a couple of follow up shots. I waited twenty minutes then followed the blood trail picking up huge chunks of femur bone along the way. I had to have missed a direct hit on the artery because this buck went more than 100 yards downhill then crossed a creek. When I got to the creek I saw the buck moving slowly but didn't have a shot. I waited another fifteen minutes and followed a still significant blood trail to a dead fall pine tree where the buck had laid down and left a huge pool of blood. Then another hunter hiding in the woods just a bit above me threatened me and told me to leave the woods. I'm sure he was hunting in the area and heard my buck crash into the dead fall and was gutting out my buck when I walked up on him.

That was the only "bad" experience I have had with the .307 and the bad shot was my fault and even with the bad shot there was a significant blood trail to follow for several hundred yards and I'm sure I would have found my buck if the other "hunter" hadn't found him first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts