Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question that keeps coming up elsewhere is how .308" bullets do in a .311" bore. (Compounding the problem is that there are 7.62x39mm chambers out there with .308" bores!) Can anyone speak to accuracy and reliability of that combination?

·
Banned
490 Posts
I used quite a few .308 diameter 165 gr. CoreLokt bullets in a .303 British and they shot well from that rifle. So it can work out OK...all you can do is try and see.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I once had a Ruger M-77 MKII in 7.62X39 m/m and it's bore diameter was .309" where you could use either .308" or .311" bullets. My SKS uses either with similar accuracy.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I once had a Ruger M-77 MKII in 7.62X39 m/m and it's bore diameter was .309" where you could use either .308" or .311" bullets. My SKS uses either with similar accuracy.

You should have kept it. Those Rugers go for over $1000 now.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
You should have kept it. Those Rugers go for over $1000 now.
I know! It was a good shooter too. One thing is if you have a Ruger in 7.62X39 m/m and reload with .308" bullets then "Necksize" ONLY or the shell will slip too far into the chamber and you'll get a misfire. You can full length size if you use .310" bullets. The Rugers have a long throat!

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
My experience is you obtain best accuracy from the correct bullet to bore. Have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 which shoots 308 diameter bullets just so so but use 311 and accuracy is very good. Converse is a AR-15 in 7.62x39 using a USA made barrel at 308 dia and those bullets are the most accurate although the 311's do shoot decent.

Only consistant shooting bullets has been lead cast bullets that either swage down or bump up for which every diameter barrel there shot through.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
When I bought mine back in 1992, it also was stainless steel & had their "Plastic" stock, and I paid around $500 for it. I replaced the stock with their short action walnut stock & had the stainless steel "Blackened" so it wouldn't spook game. The Ruger was very accurate and a fine shooter. I can't understand why Ruger quit chambering their M-77's in the 7.62 X 39 m/m caliber.

·
Registered
78 Posts
if you're even slightly regarding an sks or similar rifle... dont worry, they're not accurate enough inherently to make a bit of difference from what ive seen

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
if you're even slightly regarding an sks or similar rifle... dont worry, they're not accurate enough inherently to make a bit of difference from what ive seen
My thoughts too. I've owned a bunch of SKS and AK variants and still have a couple. Good pickup guns and fun for plinking but never regarded them high enough to even try shooting off of bags. I have dies and components but haven't reloaded yet.... still shooting $99 case Tula ammo I stocked up on years ago.

For what it's worth the Hornady's reloading book says in a .311 bore you can shoot .308 or .310 bullets with good accuracy. Good here I'm assuming to be a relative term.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
When I bought mine back in 1992, it also was stainless steel & had their "Plastic" stock, and I paid around $500 for it. I replaced the stock with their short action walnut stock & had the stainless steel "Blackened" so it wouldn't spook game. The Ruger was very accurate and a fine shooter. I can't understand why Ruger quit chambering their M-77's in the 7.62 X 39 m/m caliber.

Davers, this is my last hijack in this thread, but Ruger chamberes their Hawkeye Compact in 7.62x39 now, along with 6.8 SPC. The 7.62x39, when loaded right, is a great combination in a bolt gun. It is a bolt action 30-30 WCF. Lightweight carry package, and perfect medicine for Whitetail.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Davers, this is my last hijack in this thread, but Ruger chamberes their Hawkeye Compact in 7.62x39 now, along with 6.8 SPC. The 7.62x39, when loaded right, is a great combination in a bolt gun. It is a bolt action 30-30 WCF. Lightweight carry package, and perfect medicine for Whitetail.
Yes, I found out just this morning that Ruger offers their Compact Hawkeye in 7.62X39 m/m. <Thanks>:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm shooting 308 bullets in my 7.62x39 I built on a small ring Mauser action using a 308/30 cal barrel with a 1-10" twist, and using 150 grn bullets getting just under an inch groups, Next time i reload I'm planning on trying another powder and see if it works any better. The wolf, norinco, and china star ammo is horrible in my rifle, maybe my twist is to fast for the lighter bullets?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably. I tried Wolf 124gr and 154gr cartridges in my 1:8 .308" short bbl and the jackets were disintegrating inside the barrel! Maybe a combination of the tighter bore and the twist rate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts