Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is looking for a hunting rifle, something not too expensive and that doesnt say Remington on it. She will be using it for elk and Nilgai. Anything smaller she will use her bow. Gun is probably going to be used maybe twice a year. She is looking at the Howa 1500 in .308. She doesnt like the way Savage feels. Any other suggestions.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
You might consider a Browning A-Bolt. I have one in .308 & it's the most accurate big game rifle I own. Also it is lighter in weight with mild recoil.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Tikka T 3 or whatever it is. My son loves his 300 WSM.

Weatherby makes a real nice 308 in a carbine, I beleieve it is called . Excellent for smaller stature lady/youth. 308 can be loaded over a WIDE range of weights/velocities and recoils. Many elk shot w/ it so long as it aint in the next zip code.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not concerned about weight due to the fact that any time we are walking long distances I will carry it for her. I will look at the Browning they seem to make quality stuff. Many many years ago when I hunnted with rifles I had a safe full of Rugers and I loved them. I just dont want to make a mistake and overlook something. I want her to get what she wants not what I want her to have.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The Howa is a well built, rugged, accurate rifle. The only negative is they are a bit heavier than similar rifles-but the recoil will also be very managable. The Weatherby Vangaurd is a Howa with weatherby styling and can be found at Wal Mart at a very good price.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Its been a long time since I've shopped for a rifle as I have all I need, but I've read other guys posts about the new Win. Model 70's and they were quite happy. I think they were a higher grade, couldn't tell you what. But I know 40 years from now that gun will be worth far more then you paid for it.

My Dad left me a pre 64 featherlite and I love it, shoots .75" all day without trying real hard.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Weatherby Vanguard S2 new rifle now on the market with sub-moa guaranteed accuracy and factory shot target. $500 with tax, good luck

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
I'd also first suggest the Winchester M70, in Featherweight version. An absolutely great rifle. If the feel of the Winchester is not quite right, then your already mentioned Browning or Ruger 77 or #1A.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. We are heading to a couple of gun shops this weekend to look at them with the Browning ABolt and Howa high on her list.

·
Banned
278 Posts
I bought a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Deluxe in 270 and was amazed at the workmanship. Moving to the new plant in South Carolina was a good move. From the looks and feel of the rifle the new CNC equipment and a workforce taking pride in their work was very evident. The new model 70 is every bit as nice as any pre-64 Winchester I have handled. Granted I paid $200 more for the Deluxe model. The stock was much nicer walnut and the checkering was a little different but the regular Featherweight was excellent for a production gun. On my gun the wood to metal fitment was perfect. The checkering was perfect. The new MOA trigger was very good for a factory lawyer proof trigger. It was very crisp with no creep or overtravel. It does break like the proverbial glass rod. I believe it is around 4 lbs. I would like a trigger around 2-2.5 lbs and have been spoiled by Timney and Canjar triggers that break in the 2 lb area. I am going to look into a Rifle Basix trigger that is adjustable from 10 oz to 4 lb. I ordered mine through Davidson's and when it arrived at the gun shop I had a group of customers gathered around as I took it out of the box. Everyone who saw the gun asked if they could hold it. I felt like a new Dad. I had one gentleman offer me $200 more than what I paid for it. He was serious as he had the cash in hand. Naturally, I had to decline his offer.

The action on my 270 is slick as snot. I would imagine the 308 action being 1/2 inch shorter would be even smoother. I got the 270 as it was the only caliber offered in the deluxe model at the time. I have always liked the classic looks of the Model 70 Featherweight and Winchester (FN) is making a great rifle once again. It has always been the rifleman's rifle to me. Yes, I know there are many other fine rifles out there but I just get the warm and fuzzies when I see its classic lines. A 308 Win chambering would be a great rifle for anyone. If controlled round feed is important to you I think a Model 70 Featherweight in 308 would make a great rifle for your wife. A Leupold 2.5x8 scope and some ammo with premium bullets such as North Fork would make a terrific elk slayer for your wife. Check one out.

·
Banned
278 Posts
Just in case recoil is a problem I was communicating with a customer service rep at Barnes about a bullet for the 338 Win Mag and happened to mention recoil. He said that Connie Brooks has a 6 lb 338 Win Mag and one of the smiths there attached a muzzle brake and she said it now feels like a 243 Win when fired. Not bad. The rep said they would be glad to have their shop attach a muzzle brake on my rifle for a reasonable price. I'm betting a 308 would feel like a 223.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Years ago I had a muzzle brake put on a Lightweight Winchester Model 70 .30-06 which I no longer have. It reduced the recoil sufficiently that one could see the bullet strike through the scope.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a couple rifles with muzzlebreaks on them years ago. Couldnt stand to shoot them. My eyes wouldnt stop rolling around in my head and my teeth about fell out every time I pulled the trigger.

·
Banned
39 Posts
I had a muzzle brake put on a .300 Wby that I owned. Now I'm not sure whether is was meant as a joke but it was called a QuietBrake, quiet my posterior, that thing was so loud it sent children screaming, women into a catatonic state (well maybe that part was my sexiness) and men diving for cover. The concussion wave from lighting off that 80+ grains of powder and sending that 180grn bullet down range would vibrate through your bones. It did reduce the recoil of that .30 overbore to .270 - '06 level but the tradeoff wasn't worth it. I sold the rifle as I realized it was too much for the game I pursue and not a lot of fun to shoot.

My belief is that if you need a muzzle brake on a hunting rifle then you have too much gun.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yeah, I can't stand being at the range when someone has anything with a brake on it. I'll just pack up, leave, and find something else to do.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well gun shopping was very positive. About 2 seconds onto holding the Howa 1500 with the Axiom stock I fell in love. Planning on getting that one in .308 for myself. My wife didnt like that one but she liked the (I think )Remington VTR in.308. But she wants to look at a few more.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts