Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my winter project will be finding a cast bullet load for a Savage bolt package gun in .308, 1 in 10" twist. I have 160gr. bullets, I will pick 180, and 200-210gr. also. For powder, I have H4895 and H322 on hand, but cannot find load data. My goal is best accuracy...I suspect a 180gr. bullet at 2000fps, but testing will tell. Please recommend a powder(s) that might be best condusive to cast bullets. Have not ordered bullets yet, plan on getting them sized at .310. Barrel is 22".

·
Banned
188 Posts
The 308 has a short case neck & many cast bullets seat too deep.
The Lyman 311299 works good in the 308 about 16 gr 2400 0r 21 RE #7
I would also like to try the RCBS 165 silhouette or the Lyman 311672 160 gr,
these are also a great length for a 308.
The above loads are around 1,500 FPS , not no hot load but somewhere around that charge the 311299 shoots great.
Other powders to consider would be Accurate 5744 & SR 4759,these & the ones mentioned above would also give more bang for the buck than the normal powders that are used for jacked bullets, the SR 4759 is a little coarser & does not meter as well.
I have also tried Lyman 311291 , it shoots well but seats deeper than desireable.

Stay warm & have fun , current temp 7 F

·
Registered
128 Posts
don't know about the 1-10 twist you have, but IMR-4198 shoots 180's amazingly well in my 1-12 rifle with both cast and reduced jacketed loads. the cast like to stay below 2000 and usually group about MOA, the jacketed 180's i've loaded up to about 2400 and shoot easy .75MOA, .5MOA if i take my time. very light recoil with the 4198, and still plenty of punch for a deer.

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
Another vote for IMR4198

I use it for a number of cast rifle bullets and like it. IMR4895 works well, too. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I use the Lee C-309-170-F bullet designed for the 30-30 in my 308. I seat the gas check flush with the base of the neck and allow the bullet to press lightly into the lands. I'd have to go look up the exact load using A5744, but it gives right at 2000 fps.

The "Ed Harris" load of 13.0 RedDot also works well with that bullet, giving about 1600 fps or so - enough for deer out to 100 yards.

Be sure to rigorously clean your bore of all copper fouling before you shoot cast, and do not alternate cast and jacketed. Stick with one or the other unless you clean it well between.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have been experimenting with cast bullets in a .308 for several years and tried several powders. I finally settled on SR4759 because it has worked as well as anything else and is in general, a bulky powder that fills the case from 2/3 to 3/4 for any load I use.

I am still working on bullet weights. I have molds (all Lee) for 160, 180, and 200 grain that are round nose, plus a 150 grain flat nose. I have worked mostly with the 160, 180, and 200 bullets lately using a 50-50 mix of linotype and plumbers lead. With that alloy, I drop 157, 175, and 196 grain bullets. I seat them so the bottom of the gas check is at the base of the case neck and have had no problem chambering even the long 196 grainer. I have had no leading problem either. Have shot them extensively in both a Savage Weather Warrior and a Ruger Hawkeye, both with 1 in 10 twists. My best accuracy has been with the 157 grain bullets with occasional groups for 3 shots being around a half inch. I have another big test I will be doing in the next couple of weeks with 10 shot groups to verify some earlier results.

I am using from 24 to 27 grains of SR4759 and get around 2000 fps, depending on bullet and powder charge combination. I will post results when they come in in the bullet casting section.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Rocky, do you need a filler for either load? I've been looking into some lighter loads for my .308 also, but never loaded anything using a dacron filler before.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do any of the bullet makers cast a hollowpoint cast bullet? I think I saw a picture of one just a few weeks ago on a thread. maybe 200gr.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Tom, NO! Those loads neither need nor want a filler - which are problematic in a bottleneck case in any event.

Terry, I don't know of a factory hollowpoint mould, but there are guys who will modify a mould to cast hollowpoints. In a two-cavity mould, it is common to have one done that way and the other cavity left as a flattip (or whatever). Either way, it is a lot of effort for dubious results. In bullets as small as .30-caliber, the hollowed area often just breaks off leaving a lighter bullet with a slightly wider meplat. It is the jacket that controls mushrooming on a bullet. No jacket, no control.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cast bullets will mushroom somewhat. I checked with our state F&G, and cast lead bullets are classed as expanding bullets.

It may or may not be very practically useful, but some casters will put about a 9mm pistol case full of pure lead in the nose of the bullet, followed by the usual alloy for the body of the bullet. That does make them mushroom more.

Just my unschooled opinion, but I think any decent flatpoint or round nose made of conventional alloys is going to make critters as dead as they get.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rocky and Denton....Thank you, great info and insight, will press ahead with Flatpoint. I've made the leap from expanding revolver bullets to HC WFN bullets, I'm trying to be comfortable with WFN rifle bullets. The benefits are amazing---less powder, longer barrel(firearm life), less wear and tear on me(recoil), same or better accuracy and killing power.

·
Registered
670 Posts
And a thank you from me, too. I've been casting and reloading since the early '70's but still don't claim to know it all.

·
Banned
188 Posts
A little note on seating dies for 308 cast bullets.
I use a Hornady 308 seating die. The die was too tight with .310 sized cast bullets.
I called Hornady & told them of the problem , they connected me with their custom shop. The custom shop said they could make me a custom seating stem for $$$.
I asked them if they made a die for 303 British, they do.
I ordered a seating stem for 303 British.
Problem solved, works great. Cost about $5 & $3 shipping

·
Registered
109 Posts
A few months ago, Rocky introduced me to the Lyman M die that neatly solves the problem of getting fatter cast bullets into cartridge cases. Lee has an alternative, and I have one of those too, but the Lyman is my favorite.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
For a low velocity practice load, Trailboss is being used with good results reported. Havent tried it yet but picked up a can. To get a start load fill the case to the base of the bullet. Then drop the charge to 70 % of that weight. Work back up to the full case charge but dont compress. The 70% load will probably be subsonic with a 180 gr cast. BTB has a book on cast shooting available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Greetings all! Anyone who wants to reload cast bullets should have a copy of the (LYMAN RELOADING HANDBOOK) it is an excellent source for the reloader. Yes, it does cost a little bit of money, but it could save you a lot of valuable body parts. Just a nickles worth of frienly advice.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
See the "cast bullets in a .308" thread in the bullet casting section.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts