Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. Would a .308 Mauser be a good choice for elk hunting? If so, what bullet would be a good recommendation. I'm normally a muzzleloader, so i'm lost here>>>>>>>

·
Registered
103 Posts
The .308 works fine for Elk if you do your part and put it in the boiler room. Try the Nosler 180 Partition or the Barnes 165 X.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
DOUBLEJK took the words out of my mouth! We've also used the 165 gr Partition with success, but don't expect complete penetration. It's not an issue of killing power, but the exit hole does give better tracking blood. Your .308 will work fine. IDShooter

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your 308 will do a fine job on Elk, like another reply said just as long as you do your job and place your shot in the old boiler room. I have a nice 6x6 bull hanging in my reloading room that I took with a 308 Win pre-64 model 70 and 180 grain Nosler partitions. I generaly hunt Elk now with a 7mm Mag shooting 160 or 175 grain Nosler partitions but I still have a soft spot in my heart for my old model 70. Just remember if you do your part you can take an elk with almost any medium to mag caliber rifle. Good Luck and Good Elk Hunting. You know though that Elk hunting is VERY habit forming.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help, i should be able to hit the range here next week and try out this wonderful gun. It'll be different not carrying my trusty 15 year old smokepole up those Colorado hills, but what the heck, a new thing to experience! By the way handloader, i've been elk hunting for 9 years now and have already been addicted. I've made the quote frequently to my wife of 21 years that i would give everything up in my life, but don't ever ask me to quit elk hunting!

·
Registered
17 Posts
You sound just like me, I have to remind my wife that marrage is great and wonderful but, Elk Hunting is more important than that. I guess she agrees, she alway's just ask's when you going to be back. After 36 years today, I guess she is starting to think like me. Good Luck and Good Elk Hunting.:D :rolleyes:

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could make this a long story but.....years ago i met 2 guys from my home town of St.Louis who had relocated to Colorado. In the course of the years out there i learned from hunting with them a tip and i'll pass it along. They told me early on that because i should treat every elk trip as a vacation first and a hunt second. Therefore if you don't harvest a wapiti you're still ahead of the game for you are out in god's great wilderness being awed by the splendor and beauty of it all. So the years i've scored have been awesome and the years i haven't i've realized while hiking and hunting that we are so small in the scheme of things and being humbled on a yearly basis is good for one's physce. And soul.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very well said, besides the time you spend in the mountains by yourself or around camp with good friends is where all your real memories come from and not the number of animals that you harvested through the years. Besides when you get an Elk on the ground the fun stops and the work starts. Time spent with good friends hunting is about as good as it gets.

·
Banned
548 Posts
liepert -

Looks like you are getting some great advice from your friends here. Before settling on any of the partition bullets for the .308/Elk application, check out [email protected] , as I have found these HAWK bullets to perfrom extremely well in the event that you have a long shot and velocity drops off at impact. Penetration with expansion is the name of the Elk game, regardless of caliber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts