Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to load for my rem 700 tactical xcr. Factory loaded match hornady 168 amax shoots absolutely fantastic. I'm talking half inch a 200 yds when I do my part. I'm curious if any of you guys know what type of powder would be close to what hornady is using? I can use the 308 match brass, amax bullets, match primers but not sure what powder. I'm aware of what powders shoot well in the 308 but I'm just trying to save some money on the trial and error. Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
14,166 Posts
Reloader 15 and IMR 4064 work very well for accuracy in .308. So does Varget, but I favor IMR 4064 for having hit more accuracy loads for me in .308 than any other. Not the easiest metering powder, but works extremely well.

Appreciate that your saving on trial and error. Just don't economize to the point you wind up saving your best accuracy for some other occasion. What you need is a systematic method of working the load up, and not trial and error. Take a look in the ballistics forum sticky on the OCW method, follow the link and read up on it. The round robin approach is a good quick way to find a sweet spot load.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,209 Posts
I'm a 748 guy. I have a set of loads, one for the 168BTHP Hornady, and one for the 175SMK. Both use 748, and both actually shoot about the same, but will group amazingly at 500 yards.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've been loading my 308 w/ IMR-4064, but using 168gr Sierra match kings... results are like yours.

I have also tried IMR-4895 and H4895 with similar results but best were from the 4064.... 44grs if I recall and OAL a little over 2.800", hornady match brass

MIke.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.