Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a friend in Chile who wants to buy a lever action. All weapons are controlled by military, as is ammo. He is looking for a lever action. Did or does anyone make one in 308 winchester (aka- 7.62 NATO)

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
Tombo,
      Browning makes the BLR lever action in .308 and you can usually find used Savage Model 99's in .308 also.                                          IDShooter

·
Beartooth Regular
598 Posts
If you go to GunsAmerica and do a search in the levers section you will also find several Winchesters in Model 88.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Tombo - GO W/ THE MODEL 88- you won't regret it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Just my opinion, but i feel the same way about the BLR, but any of the three would sure work.  I own a couple of savage 99s and a blr, and did own a win model 88, until a friend talked me out of it.  All of them are very good platforms, but i have two reasons to prefer the BLR.  Firstly, the rotating bolt, is so smooth, it is a delight to crank.  Secondly, it has the best factory trigger, smooth and relatively light, but with a shade of overtravel. I did really like my model 88, liked working with it, but its trigger was.....well.......below average.  The model 88's trigger in all fairness was better than the only 308 savage 99 i have fired, a very handsome 99C, whose trigger felt like turning the key on a sardine can. I expect things that like vary from rifle to rifle.

Anyway, if he wants a lever in 308 he has three very good choices, and either way he goes he will be tickled.  What a good problem to have, having to choose one of those fine weapons.

Take care,

Steve

·
Beartooth Regular
598 Posts
As a child my second rifle was a model 88 in .308 and I wish I still had it. having said that, my first choice, too, would be the BLR. I have had one in .308 for twenty years and have killed everything from coyotes to moose with it.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Having worked for Winchester - Western when the Mod. 88 was in production, I have some knowledge of it, good and bad.
First of all, it was, and is, a very strong and smooth firearm. The one-piece stock did contribute to its accuracy. The trigger could have been better. The one thing that is really bad is don't ever completely take it apart unless you have the factory slave pins to hold the upper and lower units together while putting it back together. Better to blow it out with brake cleaner or Gun Scrub. The little Mod.88 carbine was a gem to carry and shot as well as the rifle. What killed the firearm was not anything wrong with the gun itself...It was the cost of production, combined with the popularity of the longer cartridges at the time.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
48 Posts
SAKO( USED TO ALONG TIME AGO), SAVAGE 1899 (NOT MADE ANY MOREW EITHER I DONT THINK) AND BROWNING. MARLIN AND WINCHESTER HAVE THE 307 WHICH IS A 308 WITH A RIM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts