Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a hunting loadin .308 Win for a Springfield Armory M1A Scout/Squad rifle. I want to use either a Nosler Siver Balistic tip with a 150 or 168 grain bullet. I am very partial to Vihtavori powder, specifically N-550 and N-540. Any ideas? I understand the gas system of this rifle can be sensitive to certian types of powder. Also a load in .44mag for a 265 gr beartooth WFNGC (for black tail deer) and 325 gr WFNGC (really big angry things). Again I have great luck with Vihtavori powders like N110. This will be fired through a Freedom Arms revolver. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
In your FA in .44 mag, try these loads using the Vihtavori N110.

BTB 44-265gWFNGC/24.0g N110/WLPP/Starline Brass
BTB 44-325gWLNGC/21.0g N110/WLPP/Starline Brass

Both of these loads should deliver excellent accuracy in your FA revolver, and be within the top 5% of the pressure envelope where N110 delivers its best performance. The Winchester primers have proven themselves over and over agian to be key players in the uniformity of these loads.

Let us know what you find when you try these!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marshal thanks for the quick response. I have those components on hand and will head for thr bench ASAP

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Lever:

I too shoot the M1a, only mine is the NM version.

Try these for the 168gr. I use the Hornaday SP's.

IMR 4064= 41.5-43gr
Hodgdon Varget= 42 gr.

Try to avoid using WW748 in this rifle; the pressures the ball powder create make mine cycle kinda squirrelly!!!:D

Good luck!
Chris~

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
M141a:
Thanks for the info. Currently I am testing a 150gr Nosler Silver Balistic tip using 43.5grs of N140. I also have this bullet in 168grs that I plan to work up next. My goal is to have a hunting load that duplicates military ball ammo balistics, using a Nosler bullet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts