Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello from Scotland~

I am thinking of having a "Reflex" sound moderator fitted to me .308 sporting rifle.There are many different types but the reflex seems the best compremise its light, it sleves over the barrel so it only adds 3" to the over all length.

A couple of mates have had them fitted to a .22-250 and .243 amazing sound reduction down to .22 mag levels.

I must apply to the police for a variation to my Firearm certificate and give "GOOD" reason for having one ie hearing protection, night shooting around farms, reduce disturbance to farm live stock.

What are your local laws like regarding sound moderators ???

Englander

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Englander:
Sound moderators and silencers are completely illegal in Canada and have been for years. Of course our policticians and civil servants learned all they know about guns from television.

Bye
Jack

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,225 Posts
Some states do not allow them, others do. If your state/local government has no objections, then there is a federal requirement of paying a $200 tax, and getting a signature from a high-ranking police official (typically sheriff of the county you reside in).

A friend got one for his .308 recently. Says it works well but I have not heard it yet.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
:D :D :D

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,225 Posts
Ya got me, Bill.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Greetings Englander,

I use a reflex suppressor on my 96/44. I load the 44 sub-sonic and the sound is less than .22RF. What noise it does make seems to disperse very rapidly in bush.
The main reason I use a suppressor is to protect the hearing of my dog & myself.
The only problem I had with the Reflex suppressor is it's made of very thin hi-tensile steel which when in bush, branches & leaves hitting it makes quite a metallic ring. I fixed this by fitting a rubber sleave, the stuff they use to sleave air conditioning pipes with.
Down here in New Zealand there is no special requirements on fitting them to rifles or shotguns.

Quiet 1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts