Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some reloading but never 308 to 338F. I was given the rifle and want to use it. Can't find 338f ammo or not at a price I can afford. So got all the stuff I think I need. Once shot 308 brass 338f dies 200 grain Speer and imr4350. Any suggestions on anything else I may need

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,413 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Please don't dump posts in the first forum you come to, especially when the sticky immediately above your post in it's former location; specifically tells you to not do such.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Set your press up and try a case through your 338 resizing die and see what happens.
Some imperial sizing wax would be good but normal lube might be fine.

cheers.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
.030" upsizing is a piece of cake, a little Imperial on the finger tip rubbed around the interior of the case mouth, and you'll barely feel the effort. If you are starting with fired .308 cases (as stated), you are already partly there with the expanded neck 'once fired'. The lube will just cut down on the chatter a bit.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'D suggest using an intermediate-sized expanding plug, like .318", if one can be obtained, or .323", certainly. The .323" expanding plug is exactly midway between starting and finished case mouth diameters. This tends to reduce case neck splits.
If Imperial sizing wax is unavailable, consider using the lubricant used for pulling electrical wires through conduits (the proper name escapes me). It is usually available in any big lumber or hardware store. It IS also water based, so I suggest rinsing formed cases in hot water. Drying can be expedited by dunking in acetone or 90% rubbing alcohol and blowing compressed air through them or letting them dry in direct sunlight. Acetone evaporates a bit faster than alcohol, in my experience.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I looked close at the 338 Fed,, really a nice caliber.. A great deal on a Model 70 338 win mag took me out of the market..

On a Resizing note, I go from 30-06 to 35 Whelen without much trouble at all, use a good lube, and a solid press I have done maybe 100 rounds not much need of more, and split 2 necks...

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Don't over think or over complicate the sizing from .308" to .338". The .030" difference (actual is .0265" - .0268") is only .015" per side off of center. With fired .308 cases, you likely already have at nearly .004" to .005" clearance per side. That leaves you opening up (expanding) the case neck an additional .010" per side...not much of a chore.
Actual SAAMI specs. for the necks of each cartridge case and chamber are: .308 Win. .3435" case, .3462" - .3442" chamber; .338 Fed. .370" case, .372" - .371" chamber (yep, that what it says) for a difference of .0265" and .0268" respectively. (at smallest point).
An easy single step expansion.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just a note. I've been converting .30-30 (new) brass to .357 Herrett for years in one pass w/ no splits in the necks w/ RCBS dies, Lee case lube & an old Herters C press. Easy peesy.

I never checked for any differences in wall thickness, but the shot well.

Note to self: check neck wall thickness & runout of the next batch, might need to turn the necks.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Note to self: check neck wall thickness & runout of the next batch, might need to turn the necks.
Not a bad idea!
In a simple 'necking up' (expanding) like being discussed here, the necks are going to thin down a tad, so turning (unless for other reasons, like BR) is not needed. In your case with the .357 Herrett, while it sounds like you are necking up from 30 cal. to 35 cal., in reality, because the final OAL of the case is back into the body (which is thicker and larger in diameter to begin with) of the 30-30 case, you are actually necking down the case body a little which will add thickness to the already thicker area of the case where the new neck is formed. So, unless you have a very generous chamber, it's a good idea to pay attention to that item....good 'note to self'!! :oops: ;):)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts