• I found a little

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
All of those calibers use the exact same diameter bullet, the .308 is slower than the 30-06, the 30-06 is slower than the .300 Win mag bullet weight being equal. You need to study your manual a little better. All the above are fine for deer, none are really to much-dead is dead.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Whitetail, I see from your post record that this is your third post so I assume you are new at the game. I have been shooting, designing cartridges and bullets, and hunting for over 50 years. I guided big game hunters and have shot well over 100 head of big game and seen hundreds shot. I was the owner of the first bullet speedometer in my neck of the woods. I say all this to qualify my answer to you not to brag. Your fact are just wrong. First off many reloading manuals ballistics differ from real world ballistics. I load for all 3 cartridges and have for decades and recorded and cronographed hundreds of loads, so I do have some experence. The 308 Win is a great cartridge but it can do NOTHING as well as the 30-06 and the 30-06 can do nothing that the 300 Win Mag cant do better. Period. The 30-06 can obtain between 100 and 150 fps more velocity than the 308 in 150 grain bullets and even greater advantage of speed with heavier bullets. The 300 Win Mag can obtain @400 fps faster velocities than the 308 can with 150 grain bullets. Check manufactuers specs on the 3 different rounds. As for bullets "blowing up" many factors come into play. In 30 caliber ammunition the 150 grains are mainly small deer bullets while the heavier bullets usually have heavier jackets for deeper penatration on bigger game. If you would like to discuss premium bullets I will be glad to discuss this issue as well. I have well over 100 bullets actually recovered from big game.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whitetail, I see from your post record that this is your third post so I assume you are new at the game. I have been shooting, designing cartridges and bullets, and hunting for over 50 years. I guided big game hunters and have shot well over 100 head of big game and seen hundreds shot. I was the owner of the first bullet speedometer in my neck of the woods. I say all this to qualify my answer to you not to brag. Your fact are just wrong. First off many reloading manuals ballistics differ from real world ballistics. I load for all 3 cartridges and have for decades and recorded and cronographed hundreds of loads, so I do have some experence. The 308 Win is a great cartridge but it can do NOTHING as well as the 30-06 and the 30-06 can do nothing that the 300 Win Mag cant do better. Period. The 30-06 can obtain between 100 and 150 fps more velocity than the 308 in 150 grain bullets and even greater advantage of speed with heavier bullets. The 300 Win Mag can obtain @400 fps faster velocities than the 308 can with 150 grain bullets. Check manufactuers specs on the 3 different rounds. As for bullets "blowing up" many factors come into play. In 30 caliber ammunition the 150 grains are mainly small deer bullets while the heavier bullets usually have heavier jackets for deeper penatration on bigger game. If you would like to discuss premium bullets I will be glad to discuss this issue as well. I have well over 100 bullets actually recovered from big game.
I apologise, I was looking at your .300 savage instead of winchester magnum, although the book clearly states that the 30-06 has less velocity than the .308 while using less powder, my readers manual states its do to slow burning powder, but none the less that's what I believe and I haven't found something to state it otherwise. And yes I am new at this, and fairly new at hunting but I had gathered so much information on these three rounds in my lifetime that I thought I might try and help some people with deciding. Also I did not state all these facts were based off of re15 powder, but the .308 used different powders. I apologise for the inconvenience and hope to get better at this as I go. Thanks for the feedback and no hard feeling. I'll delete this information unit further notice.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I apologise, I was looking at your .300 savage instead of winchester magnum, although the book clearly states that the 30-06 has less velocity than the .308 while using less powder, my readers manual states its do to slow burning powder, but none the less that's what I believe and I haven't found something to state it otherwise. And yes I am new at this, and fairly new at hunting but I had gathered so much information on these three rounds in my lifetime that I thought I might try and help some people with deciding. Also I did not state all these facts were based off of re15 powder, but the .308 used different powders. I apologise for the inconvenience and hope to get better at this as I go. Thanks for the feedback and no hard feeling. I'll delete this information unit further notice.
There are no hard feeling. Done properly these forums can be very educational. However everyone including myself must keep an open mind. I study cartridge design and do have quite a history with many rounds. Again check out the ammunition companies websites and you will find out your reloading manuel is in error. The mid sized cases, like the 308, work better with mid range burning rate powders like re15. The 30-06 can use these but preform better with slower burning powders than the 308 can efficently use in the smaller 308 case. The 308 has been loaded to @2900fps in high energy ammunition designed for strong bolt actions. This same company loaded the 30-06 to near 3100 fps both with 150 grain bullets. The 30-06 has greater powder capacity than the 308 thus can propell any bullet of the same weight at higher velocity. This is fact. Many reloading manuals will underload one cartridge and overstate another. I just checked my reloading room and I have a total of 31 reloading manuals, all of which I have read more than once. It is better to check actual ballistics of manufactued ammunition. Manufactuers test many guns per caliber, while reloading manuals many times only test one gun. The 308 Win is one of my favorite caliber and one I feel I could live with for the rest of my hunting career, but what ever it can do at any range a 30-06 can do at least 100 yards further. Keep studying and asking questions that is how we ALL started.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I think it's been well said and I own all three calibers the 308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag and like was said above there really isn't any comparison as the 308 (great round) is surpassed by the 30-06 and the 30-06 is surpassed by the 300 Win Mag. It's just the natural progression of ballistics with case size, powder capacity, and with bullets weighing the same.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Sounds like you're having a rough go of it here, WTTG, so let me just say:

Welcome to Shooters Forum. :)

I will be so bold as to say there is not likely to be much you could share with the good folks on this site that they do not already know. I'll go one step further and say there seems to be a whole lot you could learn, but that's going to entail more reading...and less typing. For example, despite the earlier omission of bad information, you subsequently made the statement, "although the book clearly states that the 30-06 has less velocity than the .308 while using less powder". I don't point this out to be mean, but writing something like that is a simple documentation of ignorance. IF the '06 is slower with a given bullet than a 308, which is using less powder, it is only because it is a poor powder choice in the '06.

As you study more on websites like this, and in reloading manuals, you will start to see patterns emerge that teach you more and more about the intricacies of reloading. Until then, be sure you understand what you're posting before you jump into the deep end of the pool. I thought I knew a lot about reloading until I joined this site. I've learned a lot since then, but there are guys on these pages who have forgotten more than I'll ever know. And I dare say I know a good deal more than most. Just friendly advice. :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I sure hope WTTG stays on these forum as he seems willing to learn and sounds guininely interested in the guns and hunting. He reminds me of a friend learning to ski. After falling more times than he could count, he was having a difficult time even getting himself off the ground. He was helped up by one of the top ski champions of the world. My friend was quite embarrassed about all his buttprints on the slope. The ski champ looked up the hill and stated on his first day he fell more than my friend had. The point is we all started out thinking we knew more than we did. The smart ones kept asking questions, kept reading and kept learning. It is an interesting hobby if you dont get mired in the muck.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Patience and fortitude.

I recall when i first joined a traditional muzzleloading forum after I bought a Lyman Trade rifle. I simply re-posted what the advertisement for the flintlock has said--"It was a Traditional rifle".... Hahaaa, the people on the forum came down on me hard... At first I was like--What the heck?, Then I studied a bit more and learned that the Lyman Trade rifle is about as traditional as a a carbon fiber fishing pole. I admitted my error and moved on. Now I actually build flintlocks and modern cartridge rifles for a hobby, and yes I am learning all the time. :) A great deal of the learning has come from shooting and loading for real world knowledge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts