Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that there seems to be many on this forum that prefer the 30-06 to the .308. I actually tend to be on the other end of the spectrum. Having done some extensive reloading in both calibers and carried both calibers in the field I tend to prefer the .308. I use less powder to reload the .308 and end up with loads that are almost identical in energy. For me it ends up a cheaper alternative in the long run than the 06. What do you prefer and why?

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
If you've read enough threads, this has been hashed out countless times. With bullets that are medium to light for 30 caliber, the 308 keeps up with the '06 nicely. Go to 180gr bullets, or larger, and that additional powder space becomes evident. Sadly, this thread will wind up being 50 posts long, and it's all been done.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I look to the rifles also. When I started out the 308 was unknown and the 30-06 was everywhere. We got free ammo for the 06 from the DCM and loaner rifles as well with the M1 and Springfield.

Both cartridges are superb and worldwide favorites.

I have some 06's including a pre 64 Featherweight and a nice custom Mauser. While the Mauser has some weight to it its so nice to look at, handle and shoot.

One of the 308's here is a Kimber Montana and its very light which I appreciate these days along with getting me to ss/syn but keeping the crf and M70 type safety that I prefer.

Look to the rifles.

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
Quote: "Look to the Rifles...."

I totally agree! If I'm wanting a good semi-auto in moderate caliber, then the 30/06 comes to mine in the BAR Safari (long action only). If wanting a lever gun, then .308 becomes my choice as the 20" barrel and S/A of the .308 BLR is way handier in hand for me than the 22" barrel L/A '06 version. If looking to a short carbine length barreled rifle, then the .308 gives up proportionately less and does so with less muzzle blast than a short '06. As for cartridge use, in 99% of uses suitable for both, no animal could ever know the difference. As to the age-old question as to which is more accurate, in a hunting rifle an individual rifle's inherent accuracy will matter more than cartridge to cartridge.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,663 Posts
The minuscule differences are the grist that pointless arguments are made of :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, the more trivial the difference, the more it seems to spawn arguments. Anything that is different by perhaps a few thousandths of an inch, or a hundred feet per second, would be recognized in the real world as having identical performance in the hunting fields.

Oh well!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The minuscule differences are the grist that pointless arguments are made of :rolleyes:
And pointless arguments are what internet forums are made of. :D

I've never personally had any time for the .30-06. I like the compactness of a short action rifle for a utilitarian carry gun. The .308 is a near ballistic twin in most cases and has never failed to be a tack-driver in anything I ever had chambered for it (except for one Savage 99). Kinda always figured that if I needed more .30 caliber oomph than a .308 would furnish I'd grab a .300 Win or Weatherby from the safe.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
For reloading I prefer the .308 - takes less powder. For hunting, I prefer the .30-06. It is just a better all around load. It really depends on what you are using the gun for. If you think you are going to use it on Elk, Moose, Bear and the like, then clearly the .30-06 is better. If it is a deer gun or target shooter your .308 is perfect. I actually think a .300 Savage with modern powders would be perfect for this if it could be found in good bolt guns.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bird Dog II,

Why would you say that 30-06 is better for Elk, Moose, and Bear? In your experience what does the 06 do that makes it better for these types of game. I know I have hunted Elk with my .308 and my Uncle hunts Elk with an 06. I shoot 150 grain accubonds and he shoots 165 grain accubonds. I get a bit better velocity than he does but the energy at 300 yards is actually about the same. The only thing he gets is a slightly heavier bullet that really doesn't do anything for him other than drop more. If he went to 180 grain bullets (and he tried) the bullet drop becomes so massive between 300-400 yards that you would shoot underneath the animal. To be quite honest I consider both calibers the bare minimum for Elk. I'd hunt Black Bear with either(at least in Virginia they don't get too big here). For Moose I'd want something that had a little more oomphf than either caliber has. What experiences have you had that make the 06 better in some way than the .308?

·
Banned
103 Posts
personnally i think its just whichever suits you.. i was shopping 308 when i found the most accurate 30 06 ive owned..after that it was ,if it ain t broke don t fixit..same thing probably would have happened if id come home with a 308 that day..
wish i could still do it justice..but im sure who ever has it now ,is hitting his marks ..unless he s hurt the barrel somehow..

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Why would you say that 30-06 is better for Elk, Moose, and Bear?
I was thinking it would be because the -06 handles 180gr and heavier bullets better than the .308 and it seems (from my reading) that 180gr Partitions are highly praised for elk and larger (and maybe even the 220s for even bigger animals). And yeah, those weights obviously will be slower and ultimately have a more rainbow trajectory. But for out to 250yds or so, it seems it should be fine (judging by the MPBR).

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
Quote from magnumitis: And pointless arguments are what internet forums are made of. :D

Now there's a true statement....;);):D:D

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Bird Dog II,

Why would you say that 30-06 is better for Elk, Moose, and Bear? In your experience what does the 06 do that makes it better for these types of game. I know I have hunted Elk with my .308 and my Uncle hunts Elk with an 06. I shoot 150 grain accubonds and he shoots 165 grain accubonds. I get a bit better velocity than he does but the energy at 300 yards is actually about the same. The only thing he gets is a slightly heavier bullet that really doesn't do anything for him other than drop more. If he went to 180 grain bullets (and he tried) the bullet drop becomes so massive between 300-400 yards that you would shoot underneath the animal. To be quite honest I consider both calibers the bare minimum for Elk. I'd hunt Black Bear with either(at least in Virginia they don't get too big here). For Moose I'd want something that had a little more oomphf than either caliber has. What experiences have you had that make the 06 better in some way than the .308?
See post #2 and read a reloading manual. Compare the two rounds with heavy-for-caliber bullets. When discussing typical hunting ranges, and 180gr bullets or heavier, the '06 is a little more gun. It's well-established and not really worth additional bandwidth.

·
Registered
312 Posts
According to some this thread is a waste of bandwidth!

Here are some statements made about this thread that talks about the differences in the 308 Win. and the 30-06 Springfield.

"If you've read enough threads, this has been hashed out countless times. With bullets that are medium to light for 30 caliber, the 308 keeps up with the '06 nicely. Go to 180gr bullets, or larger, and that additional powder space becomes evident. Sadly, this thread will wind up being 50 posts long, and it's all been done."

"The minuscule differences are the grist that pointless arguments are made of :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, the more trivial the difference, the more it seems to spawn arguments. Anything that is different by perhaps a few thousandths of an inch, or a hundred feet per second, would be recognized in the real world as having identical performance in the hunting fields.

Oh well!"

"See post #2 and read a reloading manual. Compare the two rounds with heavy-for-caliber bullets. When discussing typical hunting ranges, and 180gr bullets or heavier, the '06 is a little more gun. It's well-established and not really worth additional bandwidth."

===========================================

Am I misreading these posts or are my interests, comments and those of others here a waste of bandwith?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
No they don't get too big in Virginia. But I still pack a .338 Win Mag in the woods :D

Bird Dog II,

·
Registered
129 Posts
Here are some statements made about this thread that talks about the differences in the 308 Win. and the 30-06 Springfield.

"If you've read enough threads, this has been hashed out countless times. With bullets that are medium to light for 30 caliber, the 308 keeps up with the '06 nicely. Go to 180gr bullets, or larger, and that additional powder space becomes evident. Sadly, this thread will wind up being 50 posts long, and it's all been done."

"The minuscule differences are the grist that pointless arguments are made of :rolleyes:

Oh well!"

"See post #2 and read a reloading manual. Compare the two rounds with heavy-for-caliber bullets. When discussing typical hunting ranges, and 180gr bullets or heavier, the '06 is a little more gun. It's well-established and not really worth additional bandwidth."

===========================================

Am I misreading these posts or are my interests, comments and those of others here a waste of bandwith?
Some debates are timeless and endless: Big bore vs small caliber/high velocity; 9mm vs 45ACP; semi-auto vs revolver...... and now, apparently, .308 vs 30-06.

There are always new shooters who must learn so they ask questions that have been hashed over forever. It irritates those already "in the know" and they're not shy about letting anyone who dares to ask such questions know about it. They've forgotten the days when they didn't know all the answers and may have wondered about the same things.

I've been shooting more than 60 years and I STILL don't know everything about guns or shooting. There are so many disciplines and branches of guns and shooting that I'll venture that not a single person - living or dead - knows or knew it "all".

My advice - often worth exactly what you pay for it - is to ignore threads that don't interest or that irritate you. Then the OP will only get replies that actually try to help them.

BTW, it's my opinion that the question has been properly answered; i.e., with heavy bullets of 180 grains or more, the 30-06 shines. Below 180 grains, there's not much to choose between them insofar as performance goes. It then becomes a matter of which gun better suits the shooter.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts