Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is going to happen if I fire a .32auto cartridge, with its .312" jacketed bullet, through my .308win barrel? This will be a commercially loaded .32auto cartridge in an auxiliary chamber. Please assume the aux chamber is correctly dimensioned on its exterior to fit a .308win chamber and is capable of containing the pressure of the .32auto cart, the aux chamber "bore" will be very slightly oversize of .312" so that the bullet does not meet resistance until it engages the rifling of the .308 barrel. Thanks, Sean

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
It will shoot just fine.
I have an aux chamber for my .30-30 and shoot .32 Magnums in it with no trouble.
My TC barrel in .32 Magnum has a .308" bore but is throated for .314" bullets. It shoots everything I run through it with good results.
These aux chambers are interesting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you give me more info on your aux chamber? Like material, construction, where you bought it/ how you made it? Thanks, Sean

·
Registered
106 Posts
William,

Did you make that 30-30 adapter or buy it?

I found one vendor on the net that makes them

http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

I have seen them for .32 acp, but I like the idea of .32 magnum better.

I would like to get one for my .307 (I assume the 30-30 insert might work with a little tuning as the bore and rim size are the same).

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I bought it. I want to say that it is made of some hi-tech aluminum alloy. I will check the brochure tonight and see who made it.

It will not work in the .307

I am a big fan of the .32 Magnum. It is a really useful cartridge. I have several handguns and a 24" TC barrel. It is a quiet small game cartridge. A good turkey rifle, and fun for off-hand practice.
Several writers have written about the .32 Long and Magnum for rifle use. General vernon McGee, I think another fellow named Ellis Lentz (sp?) ( he had a Remington 788 chambered for .32 Long, a serious squirrel rifle) and Ross Seyfried who had a Ruger No. 3 barreled for the .32 Magnum.
This is a good cast bullet cartridge in a rifle. The cast bullets do not tear up a lot of meat in a turkey.

·
Super Moderator
9,504 Posts
No doubt that a .003" too large jackete bullet will raise pressure a bit: (1) that .32ACp bullet has a very short bearing area and that helps keep things working(2) it's not that great a difference as many 71gr. FMJ's run .310" and not the .311" marked on the box. (3) the 32acp is WAY under the pressure rating of any .30-06, so any pressure rise is unimportant.

The WORST thing that can happen is accuracy will suck becasue there is a long-long jump from seated bullet to actual rifling.

In short, go for it, you'll probably be happy.

·
Banned
20 Posts
FWIW, when I was a kid (late '50's), my friend's Dad had a nice old No.4 MkI Lee-Enfield that we used to shoot .32 cal of some sort, using an adapter cartridge, but I don't remember what calibre exactly. They were in the old blue and yellow DOMINION boxes. I have an adapter for using .30 Carbine in 30-06. I use handloaded Carbine ammo with lead bullets, mostly in an old P-17 Enfield. I also shoot lots of 93 gr lead bullets with 5 to 7 gr of 700X out of 30-30's with good results. I haven't shot any elephants at 1000 yards in the dark lately, but these little loads are great for plinking.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
It turns out my adapter is made of steel. It is marked 32 Mag, no makers name. It seems I bought it from an ad in the American Rifleman, less than ten years ago. It is a lot of fun but slower to use than reduced loads in the .30-30.

·
Registered
106 Posts
ira,

Yes it is a 94ae .307 Winchester. I haven't got the adapter yet (I just ordered it).

I'll put a new post up once I receive it and get a few rounds through it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I finally received my .32 h&r mag caliber adapter for my .307 winchester and was able to put a few rounds through it the other day.

Both Federal 85 gr JHP and 95 gr LSWC shot well out to 50 feet or so (was shooting at an indoor range).

Well enough that I wouldn't hesitate to bring the adapter and a handful of .32s with me during deer season for the occasional grouse/rabbit target of opportunity.

There was some vertical stringing from both but I assume that was my doing (I have a williams peep sight on the gun and it was little difficult getting a sight picture in the low-light indoor range).

The fit of the adapter was perfect, the only issue is getting used to chambering and extracting the .32 mag rounds.

The adapter's rim is undersized so as not to completely eject after firing. I found I had or tap the butt of the rifle to wiggle the rim of the spent case out (or the adapter itself) enough to grab it.

More practice will probably help with loading/reloading.

Felt recoil is about the same as a .22lr.

·
Registered
44 Posts
exflatlander said:
I finally received my .32 h&r mag caliber adapter for my .307 winchester and was able to put a few rounds through it the other day....
....The fit of the adapter was perfect, the only issue is getting used to chambering and extracting the .32 mag rounds.....
exflatlander, I looked at the web site for these adapters and I'm guessing that you contacted them to make one for the 307?

·
Registered
106 Posts
ira,

I sent an e-mail to the websites owner and he replied that he had a .307 adapter in stock that wasn't listed on the website.

I would assume he has more or would make more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts