Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i,ve just rebarreled a lowall with a swedish 8/58 r.b barrel chambered to 32/40. with a 36in.drop tube i can get 40g. of 2f goex in the case with enough case left to seat a 170g gascheck proj. [out of a rem.mold] it groups about 3ins at 100 yds. i,ve been told that if i want to shoot out to 300 and maybe 400 i need to use a 190g proj. but i can,t find any solid data out here in oss. some say yes and some say no. thanks in advance bauplenut

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,914 Posts
I load smokless for a Win Mod 94 32-40 and the heaviest I've found on the market so far is the 170 gr cast. Good luck in finding the 190 gr.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kdub, 190g proj [.323] is listed for 8mm. which is the same dia. as the 170g that i,m getting out of the remington mold that i,ve borrowed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would say try 3fg powder in the 170 grain bullet load and see what it does at longer ranges. Are you compressing the powder? You can compress up to 1/4" or so; I would try it in small increments to see how it shoots. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mazo kid, sorry i,ve been so long getting back to you. had a little accident just after your post ,new meds and i blacked out and i fell out of a chair and landed on my head . i know for sure that i,ve got a brain its been seen. i was told not to shoot anything heavier than a .22 for 3 months. anyway i jumped the gun a bit last weekend and tried some 3fx 40g loads at 200m a nice group a handspan right of the a4 sized target [a 3p event] i,d forgoten i hadn,t zeroed the new tangsight.
thanks for your help bauple nut

1 - 5 of 5 Posts