Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just north of where the base thins out, the brass balloons out and makes unloading a trial, especially on one chamber.
Brass drags out scratched.
Recoil no worse than factory loads.
Primers seems fine.
This stuff fragile or?
5grns BlueDot is supposed to be 7-800fps.
6.7 max (I didn't load up any of these).
Good and accurate, but what's with the brass?
No leading either.
Brass is correct length before and after.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I have experianced similar bulging with Federal cases in my Ruger Bisley.
The case buldges just above the web.
I have not had extraction problems unless I am loading to maximum levels.
What is the measurment of the pressure ring just above the web on your ne cases?
I have found Starline brass to be a little "stronger" than Federal.
The primer pocekets remain tight longer than Federal for me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starts to bulge about 3/16" above the rim.
Looks better after it cools.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,413 Posts
If the brass is badly scratched, then you probably have a rough chamber.  Especially since you say that the problem is worse with one chamber than the rest.  Any of these symptoms with factory ammo?

Cases always bulge a little above the web.  Depends somewhat on brass hardness & chamber dimensions.

If you are loading 5 grains and 6.7 is max, then it should not be a pressure or brass problem!

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Elrod:
   You didn't mention what gun you're using, but are the notches in the extractor star undersized? I've got an H&R .22 revolver with that problem. Has an overload bulged the chamber under the bolt notch?

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:
This is a baby
vaquero btw.
One chamber continues to give me fits, but it's from a small nodule in the wall right next to a divot.
It's obvious I must have rammed something hard in there while cleaning it, but I can't imagine what.
Rods are aluminum, and brushes brass with a rounded end on the steel twist.
Gads.
Welp, no biggie, I can easily remove it, and polish the others too.
Anybody shoot flintlock?
This stuff looks like the junk left in your frizzen pan from the flint hitting the striker. Like molten metal globules.
I'm wondering how clean the Starline brass was. Maybe contamination of some kind?

Factory loads: no problem. They also don't heat up the cylinder as much.
Could BlueDot be too slow?
I love it in .41 mag: Clean and spanky.

I shot the last of those reloads today anyway.
The factory Federal stuff bulges about half as much.
I'm going down to about 3.7 grns next batch, I think. Or change to RedDot or?

Tks all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've never tried BlueDot in the 32 mag, however have tried RedDot... worked good for me.  One thing- don't reduce the load too much for the 'dot' powders or IME the colored dots don't incinerate and can get blasted into places that can cause problems; for instance, between the case and chamber wall [making extraction difficult] and i've even had them turn up between the base pin and cylinder [seized the cylinder right up and man, did i turn the air blue getting it all apart to clean it out!].  I've recently picked up a lb. of herco that i'm going to try just for the heck of it. I think it might be just the right 'speed'. Anybody out there ever try herco in the 32 mag?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx Slamhound,
I've got some Red Dot around, but also just bought a jug of 231 Win. to try in everything.

I'll post the results.

I've used 231 before in the .41 mag.
It was OK, but not as impressive as Blue Dot.
Maybe the dots aren't so good for lil' chambers?
Blue Dot sure isn't as clean burning in .32 as in .41 with a hard crimp on jacketed.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,413 Posts
Elrod,

Not to disagree re: Blue Dot in smaller cases, but I've used it with great success in the 9mm.  So I think it can work in the .32.  Perhaps the pressures weren't yet up enough to make it burn consistently, or perhaps it wants a heavier bullet?

Inquiring minds want to know....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts