Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will .311 32 work in the .32 H&R Magnum. My reloading manual call for .312. Will the difference matter to safety, performance etc?

Thanks!

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Mario:
There's no safety problem with a .001" undersized bullet. Since you posted this in casting, are you casting your own? There's a good chance your bullet will cast oversize, depending on your alloy and the individual mould. The big problem with an undersized bullet is that it leads your barrel and isn't likely as accurate as one that fits. Try pushing a bullet though your gun's chamber mouth. If it's a snug fit you're likely OK.

If you post what make & model your gun is somebody who has one should get you on the right track.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Jack:

Thanks for the response.

No, I am not casting my own. Just placed the question in the wrong section. I am one of those people who just loves guns and shooting. Interesting enough, I came across 2 .32 H&R Magnums in the past month and bought them both; 1-S&W 631, 4" & 1-Ruger Super Single Six, 6 1/2" , both in excellent+ condition.

I handload for many other calibers, but never the .32 Mag. In fact, nothing smaller than the 9 mm. Never casted my own. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't about to make a mistake with a new caliber.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
71 Posts
You should make a chamber cast or slug the chambers of the your revolver. I gave instructions on how to do this in another post about the .32 Mag. elsewhere on this Board.

In a nutshell, S&Ws tend to run large and usually need .313" bullets, older Rugers and Colts generally like .312, newer Rugers which are dimensioned for jacketed bullets like .310-.311".

There is no safety problem in using a .312" cast bullet such as the Saeco #325, 95-gr. FN (my favorite) or the .312" Hornady 85-gr. XTP bullets with published load data. The Speer No. 13 manual is a good source of data. I like 4 grs. of PB in .32 S&W Long cases and 4.5 grs. in .32 H&R Mag. cases with the Saeco #325 cast of wheelweights. A charge of 2.5 grs. of Bullseye in .32 S&W Long cases or 3 grs. in H&R Mag. cases also shoots well in the Rugers. In strong guns a charge of 3.5 grs. of W-W231 in .32 S&W Long or 4.5 grs. in the .32 H&R Mag. works well for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. The problem began because I could not readily find bullets for the .32 Mag and purchased lead bullets for the 32-20 at 115 gr.. All loading data for the Mag is quoted for 85, 95 or 100 grains. Can the 115's be used effectively or should I keep trying to find the 95's?

·
Banned
24 Posts
Mario, you didn't state what type of bullet or which bullet by number but I have used 115 gr lead bullets with good results in the Ruger. I think Ed Harris would be able to tell you more. There are very few people who know more about lead bullets than he does if this is the EH from the CBA. Ed can also answer most questions about alloys and casting. My personal preference for the 32 mag is the old H & G #336 106 gr swc I have also used an old H & G #254s mould 115 gr rn with great satisfaction. I still wish I had not sold my S&W 32 mag rev. but I still have the Ruger both are great little guns. I like to use them when calling coyotes for the finishing shot if one is needed. Wes

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
If using lead bullets, a lot depends on the hardness level of the bullet and at what prssure you are loading. If pressure is higher than the defomation level of the alloy, they it doesn't make much difference what size you start out with, it will end up the diameter of the chamber mouth before it hits rifling. If the alloy is much too soft, then it kind of acts like "putty" and both pressure and leading go up.

If the alloy is hard enoudh to resist deformation at the pressure loaded, then things get complicated. IF too small a diameter, then some gas cutting and leading will occur. IF the diameter closely matches the chmber's mouth, it should shoot fine.

SO...getting back to your question...those .311" bullet may work fine (even in a S&W cylinder that often measures .313") if you find a load that balances the right pressure to "bump them up" but not so much pressure that they "putty".

If cast rock-hard, may run into pressure limits befor finging an accurate load.

Given a choice, I'll mic. the cylinder mouths and keep bullets within .001" of that reading....assuming the bore diameter isn't LARGER than the cylinder mouths. IF that's the case, can be fustrating when looking for a low-opressure plinking load.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
I've had stellar performance from the .32 H&R using 115g cast bulllets in the Ruger SSM's.

Best performance was obtained using AA#9, H110/W296, WC 820 (surplus powder), and lastly 2400.

As already noted, your .311" bullets might not perform to expected accuracy thresholds in the S&W, but the little Ruger will most likely digest them nicely, as if a newer gun, will have smaller cylinder throats than the S&W.

Enjoy! Then let us know how you make out with your project!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
Some time back a friend gave me some of the Beartooth 115 32-20 bullets, which is a lot easier tht casting them in my old single cavity Lyman 3118. The beartooth bullets worked fine in a Colt 32-20 Revolver (an old Army Specail 5"), Marlin 32-20 rifle (and old Mod. 27 pump), but the two old S&W revovlers have larger cylinder mouths and were a bit picky (probably if a modern gun, could have boosted pressure a bit and got them to work well).

As an aside, they work GREAT as plinking loads in a .303 Birit...kill small game without splattering them.
------
Easy, no tool tool, rule of thumb:
Take the cylinder out of the revolver. Place/push a bullet into one of the cylinder's chamber mouths. Hold up to a strong light and look. (1.) If you can't push a bullet in with your thumb, it's too big. (2.) If there is no ring of light visible, or a very small one that is even around the bullet, it's a good fit to the cylinder mouth. (3.) if there is an uneven, or "crecent" of light, then the bullet is a bit too small.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, the 115-gr. bullets will work great in the .32 H&R Mag.

Loads I have used in my Ruger Single Six in Federal .32 HRM cases with Federal 200 primers are 4 grs. of W-W231, 3 grs. of Bullseye, 4.2 grs. of PB or SR-7625 or 7.5 grs. of #2400.

In .32 S&W Long cases for use in the Ruger revolvers only, use 3.5 grs. of W-W 231, 2.5 grs. of Bullseye, 4 grs. of PB or SR-7625 or 7.0 grs. of #2400, all with either Federal 200 or WSP primers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts