Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find loading data for this cartridge? It is in an old Remington Model 81 semi-auto. My understanding is that this is a rimless version of the 32 Winchester Special. Can I use data for the Special as a starting point. Where can I get cases and dies? Any old-timers out there with experience with this round or rifle?

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Blueridge:
   I've never loaded it, but I believe you can neck up .30 Remington brass. Huntington's have it.

http://www.huntingtons.com/CasesRemington.html

My catalogues are a couple of years old, but RCBS, Redding and CH/4D list dies. Lyman #46 data suggests backing off a couple of grains from .32 Special data. For a 170 gr. Flat Point bullet in the .32 Remington.

Powder    MAX      Velocity
4198     26.0      1992
3031     30.0      2020
4064     32.0      1980
4895     33.0      2070
4320     35.0      2136 compressed
RX7      31.0      2252 accurate (Alliant Reloder 7)

Lyman warns that some bores are as tight as .319" and loads should be worked up very carefully. Hopefully someone who has one can verify this.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
First of all, the Remington Mod 81 is a strong action! It had a turn bolt locking system> I have a Mod 81A takedown in .300 Savage that's about like new. Factory specs call for a .320 Jacketed bullet. It would be best to slug the barrel and check its size. This action is a recoil type system and you have to work up a little steam to get it to function. Most of the old cast loads would not! This action also shoots spitzer bullets with no problem. I have found that the burn rate/pressure curve of IMR 3031 about perfect for Mod 8's ans 81's. They are grand old rifles and deserve to be put back into the game fields. Back off .32 Special loads by 10% and then load up until the action feeds and ejects. Strange as it seems, these old autos are accurate. .30 Rem brass is used. Apply some graphite to the inside of the neck when sizing then up. The old standard load was 170 gr bullet on top of 34 grs of IMR 3031 for a velocity of 2020'/"
Best Regards, James

(Edited by James Gates at 6:34 pm on June 7, 2001)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gentlemen,
I found the 30 Rem. brass at Huntington's and I can get the dies from RCBS. I've done a fair amount of "basic" reloading but I've never tried to neck up a case. What is involved and what sort of special equipment will I need? Is this process described in any of the common reloading books (Speer, Lee, etc.) ?  Thanks again for your time and help.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Blueridge:
  The RCBS Special Order catalogue notes that "Case forming dies not required. Use full length sizer die in final calibre for forming". I assume the sizing die has a long tapered expander that expands a .30 Remington case to .32 in one pass. As Mr. Gates says, just lube the inside of the neck and run it in.

Bye
Jack

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Blueridge:
   There's an article on reloading the .32 Remington in the August-September 2000 (#206) issue of Handloader Magazine that looks good. They're pretty good about back issues, &#366 per copy the last time I ordered.

http://www.handloadermagazine.com/

There's a whole page of reloads. That ought to keep you busy for a while. :biggrin:

Bye
Jack

(Edited by Jack Monteith at 9:24 am on June 1, 2001)

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Blueridge:
   There's an article on reloading the .32 Remington in the August-September 2000 (#206) issue of Handloader Magazine that looks good. They're pretty good about back issues, &#366 per copy the last time I ordered.

http://www.handloadermagazine.com/

There's a whole page of reloads. That ought to keep you busy for a while. :biggrin:

Bye
Jack

(Edited by Jack Monteith at 9:24 am on June 1, 2001)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Blueridge.....Sorry, I got lost off in the shuffle on any topic. Jack has it covered on all counts! Yes, the RCBS 32 Remington dies form the .30 rem case very good. The only thing I can add the Jack's post is for you to try to get Winchester-Western brass if possible. Sometimes the neck and shoulder of R-P brass will need to be annealed to reduce split necks as you size up. Also use a case trimer to square up the necks.
Best Regards, James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts