Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 32 SWL revolver. The gun has a 3" barrel,and a coil main spring and no strain screw. It came with a natural pearl handle and a round butt. It is a very sweet shooter.what have I got?

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
What ACTION is it. Caliber makes very little difference. Is it a swing cylinder or top break or something else.
Having a coil main spring points to a Chief Special which was made in 32 Cal. They were called 'Hand Ejectors'.
If it's a top-break, there are several choices of model because 32S&W and 38S&W were the most popular calibers.

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cylinder swings out, the serial number is 565095, I put a rubber grip on it that I took off a J frame. That grip is longer than required. The finish is a Matt blue.

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
That sounds like a pre-war .32 Hand Ejector. The frame is the same size as a J but a little different.
Just be aware....If that gun had the original diamond center grips, they are worth as much (or more) than the gun.
That was one of two high quality revolvers of the day and cost nearly thirty bucks!! The desire of gun owners to 'change something' has led to a shortage of original grips for otherwise collector-grade guns.

·
Super Moderator
9,504 Posts
Coil mainspring? Don't remeber I-frames as having that...seems like they were leaf spring (and strain screws). Maybe a transition model,but that would be really rare.
Certainly should have more information stamped on it (logs/patent dates/etc.) no matter who made it.
Were a bunch of .32revolvers..whole lot of nearly nameless versions....Rossi,Taurus,Colt, S&W I-rame (hand Ejector), S&W J-frame, Colt "D"frame,Colt New Police, H&R,etc.
One picture would clear that all up.....even a posting of anything else stamped on the barrel/frame/butt.

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
I agree with ribbonstone-- I have a (barely) pre-war S&W in mind, but that's just an assumption.
"Natural pearl" and modern S&W doesn't equate. "Five screw" is a common S&W term but it doesn't mean its a S&W. My bad.
Take a picture. If you can't post it, email it to me and I'll post it here. j belk 0 9 at g mail dot com without the spaces.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
J Belk is the expert in the room here. I recently was given a S&W 32L in a very early hand eject model. My hours of research told me it was made 1908-1918, by the barrel stamps.

It has the original nickel finish and grips that are original rubber and in excellent condition. This one is in great wworking condition, having obviously been carried way more than shot. The overall wear was pretty light but for what I read as being tucked in the waistband of a right handed man.

Value of even a very early nice hand eject in 32L is not what one might expect.

Here's my 100+ yr old hand eject S&W.

IMG_20200527_144607464.jpg IMG_20200527_144531694.jpg IMG_20200527_144618400~2.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
IT sure is nice to see an old gun with pristine screw slots!
For those wondering, the fifth screw is just ahead of the trigger guard and right angles to the other four. Notice the big headed ejector rod and the cut-a-way for its clearance in the bottom of the barrel. That's another age signal for specific period Smiths.

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Super Moderator
9,504 Posts
Just going to stick this post here....seems somewhat appropriate.

Pop's old .32 I-frame, bought used sometime right after WWII. I still like it better for small game shooting than .22RF (fixed sights that are actually "on" are just too simple to screw up).

Yep...replacement grips (oif the time)...grip adaptor...and he lost the big-knob on the ejector rod and replaced it with a little-knob. I leave it alone as a 'working gun" as it's really not a collectors gun.

DSCN1033 by Robert Dean, on Flickr

He moderinized later,his 3rd wife (a rahter evil woman...but pretty for her age), into a set of "His and Hers"... a 3" .38 Mod.36 and a 3" .32 SWL Tarurus 73. He did grind the grips on the Taurus to kind of match the Chief's "banana" S&W grip.

(I rather hope that grind the grip mod was a just in case he woke up on day and realized she was the anti-Christ; he'd be able to grab-n-shoot.)

DSCN2993 by Robert Dean, on Flickr

Both of them are long gone...but all three of the revolvers keep on going.

·
Registered
656 Posts
When it comes to " what gun is this" ... clear in focus photo's are worth 10,000 words .
Gary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts