Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to your forum. Am looking to buy a BLR.325 wsm stainless. Have not actually shot one yet so am curious to hear what you all have to say about them. I know ammo is a little tough to come by but from everything I’ve read it’s impressive up to 450 yards. This will be my short range elk rifle. Have been looking for one for a few days now. If anyone knows of one that’s in new shape and available I maybe interested.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Shot my nephew’s Kimber ultra lightweight in 325 WSM. Kicked like a mule, because of the light weight; didn't bother me but others wouldn't shoot it. So, I reloaded it to 8x57 power and it is delightful for the owner.

I've often thought the 325 WSM is/was the best of all the WSM. Apparently, I was one of few hunters. I think it is a good cartridge choice for elk IF one wants a short action to lug up mountains. But if I was using a long action rifle, I’d go for the 338/7mag/300 for elk.

I’ve seen a few large whitetails killed with it using Hornady bullets, no problems. I have heard that some rifles seem to have feed problems with the short fat WSM; might want to check if the BLR is in that group.

Any elk hunt with most any rifle is a good hunt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. My main is a Sporter 7mm. Love the gun and am in the process of setting it up to be my longer range rifle for the elk hunt. That’s what brought me to get interested in the .325. Like you said would be a great pack rifle. And the areas I hunt there are some good areas for spotting for 300+ yrd shots and plenty of the thicker and short lane areas for more of a brush gun that can handle those surprising 10-200 yard shots.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
I've owned a BLR in .325WSM for several years now and really like the rifle. I also happened onto a GREAT deal on a Browning X-Bolt Medallion in .325 and grabbed it as well. I shoot 200gr loads in both and like the Accubond load from Nosler and the XP3 load from Winchester.

While I'd figure either bullet to work fine on an elk, I have a picture of a recovered 200gr XP3 that killed a really big boar hog and got stopped in the offside shield. I'll try to find the picture and post it here for you to see the perfect mushroom. The XP3 is a hybrid bullet and I like both the concept and performance I saw from it.

Almost forgot.... Welcome to the forum!

Attachments

Reactions: Slamo

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have the BLR stainless/camo soft touch in the 325 wsm. I reload all of my ammo and it likes the Nosler 180 and 200 grain bullets. It does shoot well and recoil can be noticed when shooting off a bench. However, when shooting in a normal position or in hunting situations, recoil is not noticed much. The only thing that was not up to my expectations was the trigger. I took it to a trusted local gunsmith and with polishing and adjustments it came back at a nice 3 1/2# break. This was a Vegas gun show special of very low production. If you like a lever gun that has great killing power with long range, this gun is about the best manufactured.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
TN & PA just curious about the accuracy of yur BLR?

The OP was looking for 450 yard rifle, and I was tempted to suggect a bolt rifle for more accuracy. I have not sshot a lot of BLR, but the ones I have shot seemed to have decent 'deer rifle' accuracy, but were not 450 yard rifles.

as owner/shooters you views would be important.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
TN & PA just curious about the accuracy of yur BLR?

The OP was looking for 450 yard rifle, and I was tempted to suggect a bolt rifle for more accuracy. I have not sshot a lot of BLR, but the ones I have shot seemed to have decent 'deer rifle' accuracy, but were not 450 yard rifles.

as owner/shooters you views would be important.
The X-Bolt shoots sub MOA with the Accubond load. I've not shot the Accubonds in my BLR yet though, and the best 3 shot group I've shot from it was a hair over an inch. My BLR in .358 has finally found a load that shoots just under an inch with the 225gr Sierra. I do not recall ever shooting an inch or under with my BLR in .450, but it does shoot plenty well enough for it's typical ranges.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Sort of my thoughts TN accurate within reasonable hunting, 250 yard range, in a BLR. In a bolt gun it would be as accuraate as most other cartridges.

thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I can't think of one cartridge in the last maybe 50yrs that did anything useful that couldn't be done with another existing cartridge or did anything other than burn more powder. Many years go I was into the 7mm Rem mag and 338 Win mag. Today I can't find a reason for either one other than "want one".

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
Any 8mm bullet is going to do the job. I shoot the Barnes TTSX in my 8x57 double and it works.
I was not aware of the 325 WSM until it was raised here. Now y'allll have me hankerin' after one. :D
It looks a very useful concept, BUT 450yrds ...then states looking for a close quarter combat cartridge.:confused:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
My 8mm bullet is the Norma Vulkn (not related to Mr Spock).

I like the 12.7 g / 196 gr bullet. My thought is the 8mm diameter is best in 180-200 grain bullet weight.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I have never understood why people would move up to the 8mm diameter and yet continue to use bullet weights that have worse Ballistic Coefficients and sectional densities than the same weights in the .308 diameter. It seems to me that below 200 grains, you are better off with a .30 cal. cartridge. Any of the .300 magnums do things with a 200 grain bullet that cannot be matched by any 8mm of the same weight.

If I was to use a .325WSM, I would want to use heavier bullets than I could shoot in a .300 Win.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
I think the .325 is a pretty nice cartridge, with a lot going for it. Using the 200gr Accubond load as a reference, it carries over a ton of energy to 400 yards and is still whizzing along at well over 2,000 FPS when it gets there as well, pretty much assuring decent bullet performance to well past 400 yards (a hair under 2,000 FPS @ 500 yards). It's worth(?) noting that the .325 (.323) sits precisely between the venerable 300WM and the .338WM .308 + .015 = .323 and .338 - .015 = .323. So, I see a viable spot there for the newest member of the good old 8mm clan.

The SD of a 200gr in 323 cal is a hair better than that of a 180gr 30 cal, something that I like. Heavier bullet, better SD and almost exactly the same initial muzzle velocity as a 180gr out of a .300WM. I prefer the short action aspect as well, over the .300 and 338WMs. They are all excellent rounds, but i'm a little surprised the .325 has not become more popular than it has.

My X-Bolt in .325 wears a Zeiss Conquest in 3-9x40 and my BLR wears a 30mm Leupold Euro 2-7x33

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have never understood why people would move up to the 8mm diameter and yet continue to use bullet weights that have worse Ballistic Coefficients and sectional densities than the same weights in the .308 diameter.
I agree, and I'm among those scratching our heads about why Winchester didn't go for .338 diameter bullets, which tend to have very good ballistic coefficients. That left the door open for the .338 RCM.

However, here is a possible answer to your question: Larger diameter = larger base surface area = greater accelerating force at equal pressures. In other words, with the same weight bullets in a 325 WSM versus a 300 WSM, which both operate at the same pressure, the larger diameter bullet is going to have an advantage in muzzle velocity, because there is more surface area of the bullet for the expanding gasses to push on. The skinnier, higher BC bullet will have a downrange velocity advantage, but if you are shooting at game within short ranges, then maybe you don't care.

There's also the bigger holes argument.

·
The Shadow
7,888 Posts
I agree, and I'm among those scratching our heads about why Winchester didn't go for .338 diameter bullets, which tend to have very good ballistic coefficients. That left the door open for the .338 RCM.
The ole 338 *******, as it is called in the wildcat circles.
Not sure why that never took off, other than IME the WSM case was always a bit fickle to load and feed in rifles. Who know why some celebrities are popular.... I mean cartridges...:D

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
I have never understood why people would move up to the 8mm diameter and yet continue to use bullet weights that have worse Ballistic Coefficients and sectional densities than the same weights in the .308 diameter. It seems to me that below 200 grains, you are better off with a .30 cal. cartridge. Any of the .300 magnums do things with a 200 grain bullet that cannot be matched by any 8mm of the same weight.

If I was to use a .325WSM, I would want to use heavier bullets than I could shoot in a .300 Win.
While numbers do not kill game (only well placed shots do that!), I think there is some upside to the .325 over the .300. If you want to use 200gr bullets in both, as loaded by Nosler with their own Accubond bullets, the .325 starts out 100 FPS faster than the .300 and maintains an advantage to right at 300 yards in energy. While some might prefer looking at the effects at much longer distances, i normally look at 300 yards as the edge/fringe of typical hunting ranges. While the SD of a .30 cal bullet is obviously better than that of a 323 cal 200gr the .274 that the .323 carries is nothing to sneeze at. And, as some may say when we compare the .338WM and .35 Whelen, nothing wrong with a bit of additional frontal area either.

I do also own three .300 mags as well, so it's not that I'm not a fan of them and I also own two .338 mags, so I simply understand there's a spot for all of them...lol.

Reactions: Slamo and vizslas

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
I shoot 160grainers in my 8x57JRS, Barnes TTSX. OK they do shoot above their weight, but I have found they do an excellent job on big red deer and boar, with a pass through on everything I have shot and wrecking the heart lung area. I think they would work well in the 325. Since owning an 8mm(323) rifle I have grown very fond of the calibre. I've shot, 308,3006,300Win Mag and at present own a 300H&H and deer etc., didn't seem to die any different than with an 8mm bullet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks so much for all the discussion and info on the 325. Didn’t think I’d get quite as great a response. I have aclually held a 308 Gold Medalian and just feels like fun to shoot. I totally agree Tnhunter. I do really like the ballistics and really want a lever action. A good portion of my elk hunts are in the darker depths of the timber and my 7mm is a tack driver but all my elk I’ve taken have been within 125 yrds. So not only would it be a great back up gun but a great shorter range pack around gun. I prob do really even need it per say but..... oh by the way, Thanks for the welcome to your forum ?.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey all, new to your forum. Am looking to buy a BLR.325 wsm stainless. Have not actually shot one yet so am curious to hear what you all have to say about them. I know ammo is a little tough to come by but from everything I’ve read it’s impressive up to 450 yards. This will be my short range elk rifle. Have been looking for one for a few days now. If anyone knows of one that’s in new shape and available I maybe interested.
450 yards is short range???

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.