Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure if this has been discussed here before or not. Would there be an advantage with the new 327 federal over the 38 special +p round for a home defence round? Would the faster 327 do more damage than the larger slower 38 special? Large wound channel of the 38 special vs the shock of the 327 federal? Give me your opinions.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Advantages are one more round and lighter recoil. Noise would probable increase along with muzzle blast. Technologly has advanced to where the bullets are now designed to expand out of short bbls and at the actual velocities. Shot placement is still the key to any bullet on target. I think it would be better for those with arthiris or other ailments. I'm interested in not self defense for the cartridge but as a small game round.

CD

·
Banned
674 Posts
Have to agree, carry gun for SD maybe but I wouldn't want it used in my house. Same reason I use 38 spcl in my 357 for my house gun. Less bang and enough penetration to get in the boogerman but less chance of a through and through at normal close up HD shootings. When you have family in the house that has to be a consideration.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Larger Slower...I'm not sure that is true (although it may be). Back when I used to tote .38 +p+ ammo, it was 110 grain. If I was toting a .38, and buying it myself it would be 110 or 125 grain. Isn't the .327 105 or 110 grain? There is not much of a dif between the two to cite the weight of the pill as a dif. The dif is in the speed...So, I'd carry the 327...especially if it was in a J frame (one extra bullet).

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Fed For Me

Given those two choices it would be the Fed for me. Stoked with a hot loaded Hornady 100gr XTP or Beartooths 115gr WFNGC (hard cast). This,with no kids or anybody sleeping in a close by room.

What I really want(to CD's point re. small game round)is a Marlin 1894 with a 16" bbl chambered in 327Fed.That'd be about a 9 shot with ample power up to smallish hogs and deer up very close.

Sweet !! ----pruhdlr

·
Inactive account
1,168 Posts
Personnally I like the 38+ P better with 125gr cast! Though I do load 110 gr XTP at +P levels and they seem to be alright! But then again I have no problems soking my SP101 with nice stout 357 mags! And those same 125 gr Cast are devistating in 357 mag rounds!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
go with the .38
I would like a SP101 or similar in .327 Fed, just to have one, but not enough to go for new dies and bulllets that are hard to find.

I would also have to wonder how much more effective the load would be than a .38 Spcl with a 110gr Sierra Blitz, or Hornady XTP with a high end load of Herco, or Unique. And when it comes to a shootable load, that would appeal to a blast or recoil sensative shooter, the .38 Spcl with a Speer or Hornady LSWC is quite managable.

Get a .38

·
Banned
502 Posts
I carry a 357 Mag J Frame, it is loaded with 38 Spl +P. No one has complained yet.

The Marlin in 327 Federal does sound like a good idea, but the 357 Mag/38 Spec. would have a wider choice of loads and bullets, plus brass is really cheap for the 357/38 rounds compared to the 327 Fed. I am not sure about shooting the 327 Federal in a M1 Carbine that has sparked my interesting. I am working with a guy who has a M1 Carbine Enforcer and it is a really good light weapon.

Jerry

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
The .327 in a lever-action can't do anything the .32-20 hasn't been doing for over 125 years.

There are several good reasons to choose the 327 over the 32-20. The 327 is a bit easier to work with on the reloading bench as the straight case is considerably tougher than the 32-20 case.
When loading the 32-20 to high pressure you have some problems with sticky extraction (polishing the chambers on our Ruger cylinder helped) that cannot be overcome easily. When I speak of high pressure loads I am talking about 115-grain bullets and some heavier loaded to 1,500+ fps.

My wife and I are currently loading for 3 327 Revolvers and having a lot of fun. We are waiting on a new NEI mold before we begin posting n this. We are getting a two cut mold with 122- and 125-grain bullets.
We see the 327 Federal like the 357 Maximum – a heavy bullet for the caliber cartridge. I am not 100% certain of the cartridge and its guns for self defense. The Ruger SP-101 is heavy and the S&W revolvers are too light, the sights are awful and the ports have no place with this cartridge due to fireball issues in low light.
For many small game applications the 32 S&W Long and the 32 H&R Magnum are superior. For raw power in those situation where you need it – for well muscled critters over 40-pounds, and for bringing adult raccoons out of the pecan trees it appears the 327 Federal may be the cartridge we have been looking for.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Whoa, back up.

The .327 Fed Mag does not have less recoil than the .38 Special. It has less recoil than the .357 Mag.

Between my Ruger SP-101 (full weight, all steel gun with a 3.5" barrel) in .327 Fed Mag and my SW 642 (lightweight, aluminum frame gun with a 2" barrel) in .38 Special, I'd say they're about the same amount of recoil with the full power loads (note, the .327 Federal Hydrashocks are not full power loads).
If put into equal weight guns, I'm fairly certain the .327 Fed Mag will have more recoil than the .38 Special.

Basically, the advantages of .327 Fed Mag for defense are:
A.) You get one more round in a snubby, and maybe two more rounds in a full-sized revolver.
B.) If you can't handle a .357 Mag, and want something more than a .38 Special, the .327 Fed Mag is the middle ground.

Oh, and William? A new S&W .327 Fed Mag was shown at the Shot Show this year. 23oz, full steel, no ports, 2.125" barrel, nightsights. I'm getting one. ;)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
38+p any day, and forget about 110 gr bullets. I use 125 xtp as my minimum and 158 soft lead hollow points penetrate even better ----with a big hole to boot! I've shot a lot of them into different test medias and they really impressed me-----for a close range defense gun , that is.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
No Comparison

The .327 Magnum operates at Maximum Average Pressure (MAP) of 45,000 PSI versus the .38 Special +P MAP of 20,000 PSI. The comparison is Apples to Oranges in terms of tissue destruction with the same type of bullet.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
i think it depends some on the particulars of your gun..
practical experience has taught me a lead 150 grn special by winchester is a rnd that turns my 4 inch 38 special into a gun i can shoot like a 22 rifle as to
20 yrds or so.. shot placement is what makes me confident in myself an my gun..ive switched to that rnd with my new ,old rossi 38 special..
also found an in pants holster thats gonna work for ccw.
im right now glueing an strong little magnet into the bottum of the holster ..don t need it to slip out when i bend over to pick up something ,an the grand kids are here..slim

·
Banned
502 Posts
I have never gotten any complaints, has anyone out there heard from any one you shot about the difference between the 2 rounds?

Jerry

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
IMHO the 38 Special in at leat +P form and even better is the +P+. In my testing the Federal 147 grain Hydro Shock bullet in the +P+ loading has been the superior load in the 38. Since I have not tested the 327 Fed cartride I am taking an educated guess, but I would expect that the 38 Specail with the proper load would be the better performer. If my life or that of my family was on the line I would want the very best handgun and cartridge that I could get and IMHO neither of these 2 fit that bill, I see them more as a last resort weapon to use, after my primary weapon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.