Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting back into shooting, after a long absence, and plan to put a coupla old workhorses back into service.

I have been shooting an old '86 Winchester,  33 WCF made in 1903 with jacketed bullets, but want to reduce the costs associated with shooting this beauty, and cast bullets seem the way to go. So, I plan to buy a mould for the  .33 WCF and would like a few recommendations of bullet numbers as well as mould  manufacturer recommendations.

I liked Beartooth's 235 gr .338 bullet, but prefer a 200 gr bullet.

I also would like to shoot cast bullets in an old 45-70 and have a 255gr Keith style 45 pistol mould and am considering paper patching those bullets to bring the dia up to .460 for use in the springfield.

Does anyone know of a source for cast bullet loading information for the light
255gr bullet in the 45-70?

Either one  should be a sure fire deer killer.
Thanks much
J.D.

·
Registered
167 Posts
RCBS does indeed make a mould for the .33 , it is a 205gr mould I believe flat point ofcourse. Go to www.buffaloarms.com and click on the bullet moulds tab, this is about the best price I have found, Midway USA carries it as well, but they are asking $89 for it. Buffalo Arms also sells formed brass for the 33, it is from parent 45/70 cases. Hope this helps.

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the help.

I form my own 33 brass using the Redding Hunter #1 form die,  and trim with the RH trim die.

I found that by full length sizing in the 45-70 die, then using the form die before FL size in 33, I rarely lose any rounds to splitting at the neck.

I also anneal the brass before and after the form die, as well as annealing the finished 33 cartridge.
Thanks again
J.D.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts