Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently acquired an old 1886 in .33 Winchester from the internet.  It came in the other day, just as the seller had described.  It is a shooter, not a wall-hanger, and I intend to reload for it as such.  I have found two companies which make the proper bullets (.338 wth a flat nose), Hornady and Hawk.  Does any one have any additional companies they are familiar with that produces the proper bullets?
Secondly, while there is some "light" loads shown in the Hornady book, and the old Lyman books, does any one have some additional info on the cartridge?

Thanks

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, dclark:
  There's 4 earlier threads in the Leverguns forum that may interest you. Use the SEARCH function and search for 33. Ignore the Marlin 336 hits. (Search is slow, be patient)

Bye
Jack

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,453 Posts
I believe that Ken Water's book "Pet Loads" covers this cartridge.  That's how I learned about it.  The Hornady is supposed to be a good bullet for it I believe.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have found cast bullets to be the way to for me.  Cases are the major pain, unless you can afford to buy them, Buffalo Arms in Idaho stocks them. I am shooting a 207gr GC flat nosed bullet that gives me excellent accuracy. My '86 is a 1896 vintage which means it was rebarreled(33wcf was introduced in 1903), and it has a very tight chamber, but will shoot 1 1/2" at 100 yards from the bench. I get about 2100fps with the 207, and it is a proven performer on elk and a few folks here in Alaska still use them for moose. I have found IMR3031, and IMR4320 to be the best in my rifle. If you have any questions, I will answer them if I can.

Dave Beeman

·
Banned
554 Posts
Check

http://www.rooseveltbrowninghunt.com/

for your brethren.

Charlie

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.  I may try cast in time, but I had intended to use jacketed bullets.

dclark

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think you will really like it. Gives you a distinct edge in my opinion over the 30wcf, bigger diameter, and more bullet weight. Like I said there are more than a few old timers up here who still swear by it for all that Alaska has to offer, and these are folks that still know how to HUNT, not the sniping I've been known to do.

Dave Beeman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts