Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read Jim Lambert's comments on H-4227 with the 475 for 370gr - 420gr in the 1000-1300 fps range, I'd like to try it for some loads with the 454.  I KNOW there's a lot of 454 shooter's out there.  Have you used H-4227 with any of these Beartooth bullets?  What would be the starting loads?  Do you recommend .1 or .5 grain increments?  What have you found to be the max for your particular gun?  I plan to use Marshall's ES method with a chronograph to develop loads, but would like your min's and max's as references points.  Thanks for your help.

God bless,

·
Registered
131 Posts
southpaw, with the 335 start at 28gr and work up to 30gr same with the 355 and as far as the 405gr goes you cant get enough 4227 in there to do much. h4227 is very bulky for straight wall pistol cartridges. with the 30gr load and the 335 and 355 these will be compressed loads!! and with the 405 you will run out of case quick. either of the loads will make fun but good loads. as you mentioned about workin up with a chronograph! yes all powder testing (load testing) is better when seeing what each increase of powder is doing to help find the sweet spot. although h4227 does not thrive on pressure to help it burn and give uniformitity to the pressure curve as H110/w296 does. dont get me wrong as there is nothin wrong with the practice of using a graph but rather powders with different burn rates will alter the outcome. you may also take a look at 2400 for the 405 in the 454 if your not wanting top loads as this powder does not mind reduction and will not gobble up case capacity as bad as h4227. although you should remember the 405 will need velocity to perform its best, and for that stick with h110/w296 as these big bullets can or will cause pressures to spike rather quickly with faster powders when you take away there happy workin area in the case. have fun and keep us posted on your results.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, thanks.  I appreciate you're your help.  I'm really interested in trying this powder, but I've had trouble finding loading data for it.  I guess not too many loaders use H4227 in their 454's.  Thanks again.

God bless,

·
Registered
158 Posts
My prefered powders for the 454 Casull are H110 and Lil-Gun.

I just purchased Beartooth's 405gr bullets and will be working up a load this week.

For my 7.5" Ruger Super Redhawk I load 27gr Lil-Gun with 360gr WLNGC's average velocity of 1520fps and 24grs Lil-Gun with 395gr WLNGC's average velocity of 1420fps now.

So with the 405gr bullets I will probably reduce at least 4 grains to 20grs Lil-Gun and work back up to the velocity/recoil combo that I am happy with.

I just had one of my 2 454 Casull SRH's shortened to 4.25" barrel length and the 405gr Beartooth bullet is the bullet that I want to use exclusively in this gun which is to be used for protection against wild animals. I'm hoping for 1150fps to 1200fps with this load and barrel length. Should be able to stop anything here in North America. :cool: :p :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts