Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new 336 about a month ago, didn't have dies, etc yet so bought some factory Win ammo. Hun shot and cycled fine.

Full length sized and trimmed the fired brass.

Seated two bullets in empty brass, no primers or powder.

The first chambered fine, the second didn't slide back into place to be pushed up into the chamber.

Seated two more bullets to add to the mag, all are at proper COL. The first round always chambers, the rest don't cycle.

Through the loading window you can see the back of the cases in the mag, they just arent moving back. Using a small screwdriver to wiggle them a little they will slide back and then chamber fine.

Any ideas?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,747 Posts
What cartridge? What exact bullet? What is the OAL?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,747 Posts
If you reassemble the rifle without a spring in the mag tube, you get pretty much the same results (ask me how I know :rolleyes: ). That happened to me 2 days ago so it's popping up in my mind as a thought.

I suspect something along these lines. The size/weight of the dummy round should pretty much have no effect on it coming back into the action when the lever drops. The cartridge carrier should be dropping completely down too or that will cause issues. Make sure you are cycling the lever all the way forward, and the screws are all down as they should be.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts

Clean and debur the inside of the mag tube.

And, swap the plastic follower for a metal one from Brownells or Midway.

The precision on the molding is not as good as the metal version, and they bind easily, reducing spring tension. If the timing is a tiny bit off, nothing happens :(

Not to push on the Marlington rant thing, again, but if you are inclinbed, you might just want to take it apart, and check for burrs and such if the easy suggestions don't pan out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

Went out and bought a box of Win factory ammo just to see what it would do.

Loaded a few in the mag, worked the lever, cycled just fine. I measured the factory loads with a comparator and they weere quite a bit shorter than 2.550, don't have the number here in front of me but can post it later.

Turned the die down to match and the new loads cycled fine.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
I had that problem a few years back when reloading for a 35 rem with an older 336RC. Come to find out the gun had a short throat. It would cycle and feed all Remington factory ammo I had, but not my reloads using Beartooth or Remington bullets.

A spin down on the die solved my dilemma also.

Good luck, and let us know how your accuracy works out with your handloads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts