Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new to the list, Looks like a great site for answers.
My son just bought a Marlin 336cs that is in pretty good shape except the barrel is split where the front sights were drilled. The split is about 1 1/2" long and only on the top.. I have three questions. Is this fixable, are there replacement barrels available and is this gun even worth fixing.
Ken

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Firs off, Welcome to the form.

Since you never said, I amassuming that the rifle in question has a 20" barrel. If so the barrel can be cut back behind the crack, [The barrel must remain at least 16" long when finished.] Please take it to a qualified gunsmith, and have him evaluate it's tolerences, and head space before trying to shorten the barrel. That is the cheap way to go. This would also require that the magazine tube be shortened the same ammount and a new hanger cut made in the bottom of the barrel.

It sounds like someone possibly fired a squib load, and it was lodged somewhere near the muzzle of the firearm then when a following round was fired it split the barrel.

There is also the posibility that the barrel is not cracked, and you are looking at a surface imperfection.

If the action is in good condition, it is always worth while to re-barrel.

You could also ship it back to Marlin, and let them evaluate and repair it. The Model 336 is a fine firearm, and will give many years of service as long as properly maintained.

Again, Welcome, and keep us informed as to your progress.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,682 Posts
In addition to the above, if the magazine tube is full length, it will have to be shortened as well. Not a big deal but one more step.

Should be able to find a barrel somewhere - try here:

www.e-gunparts.com

If the cost is prohibitive, you can sell it to someone who can do the work themselves. Shortening the barrel is a pretty simple job, for someone with basic machining skills.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts