Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody had any experience with one of these rifles? im thinking of trying to find one or having a 336 modified to spikehorn specs for my girlfriend.also any clues as to how much velocity would be lost with the 16.5 bbl? thanks mitch

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Welcome to ShootersForum, Mitch!

I'm presuming you are looking for one chambered in 30/30 Winchester? Figure an average of 25fps lost, per inch of barrel shortened. For most hunting situations, the loss in velocity is immaterial, although the increase in muzzle blast and flash can be significant. To a lot of inexperienced shooters, these two factors influence how much "felt" recoil they notice, even though they don't contribute (greatly) to the actual recoil energy.

Any particular reason you want to shorten the barrel from the standard length?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry for not stating in the initial post,yes i want it in 30-30.the main reason for wanting the barrel is just to keep the gun from looking so odd, since the stock will be cut down.this gun will be for a very small lady 4'10" 90#,she has had a 7-08 and two different 243's in the past,but she dont like them,all she likes to hunt with is my 30-30.its easier for her to find animals in the scope with it but its a tad to long and i want my gun back lol.thanks for the reply any thoughts or ideas to make a gun better fit her will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Another option and cheaper too is to look for a Marlin 30TK, Glenfield 30GT, or 336D. I think these all had 18.5 inch barrels. I think these "texans" are all straight grips.

I have cut down the stock for shorter length of pull for my two daughters. Well only one. The other I'm still working on. I cut off 1.25" or a tad more of butt stock and installed a 1 inch recoil pad.

The 30TK is really nice. Straight grip. The forearm is also shorter in length. I almost think that 18.5 inches is a super nice length. The 16 inch seems too sort for my eye. But great gun none the less.

I really like the 30TK. I perfer pistol grip but that 30TK is really, really nice with the 18.5 inch barrel and short forearm and half mag tube.

If it is not the weight or the overall length and only a length of pull that is an issue. I would highly recommend just buying a stock and cutting it down with a recoil pad. Keep the original full size stock. Then you have a custom gun for her or you. And not much money into it to boot. In case the girl friend gives you the boot ;) Also a lot more choices out there at good prices for used 336's.

I think I just saw that midway has smooth (no checkering) unfinished walnut stocks for 336 on sale for like $65 or something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i like the sound of the models you have described,as far as me getting the boot i doubt it.she has put up with me for seven years now and im thinking a new rifle is cheaper than a ring,lol. i searched gunbroker for the models you listed but didnt find any,were these short run models or rare for any other reason.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yeah. I don't think they made a whole bunch of them. I think the Marlin 30TK was only made for I think 2 years 1989 and 1990. Or 88 & 89.

You have to bide your time. They do come up every now and then.

You may want to also go over to marlinowners.com website forum and look over there or post a request. Someone may need some cash these days and would be willing to part with one. Also look at auctionarms.com

One of these days I will make a 35 Rem trapper where I shorten the barrel to 18.5 inches or so, cut the mag tube to just in front of the forearm and modify the stock a little. I just have to find the right combination of, project gun, cash in hand and the time/cut to take a hacksaw to a rifle. I have not had the first 2 line up yet let alone the 3rd.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Spikehorn M-336 that I bought several years back when they made that short run of them. I swapped the "youth" stock for a full-sized stock and carried the little Spikehorn in the back seat of my police car until I retired last June. I have usd it on white-tails every year since I bought it with great success. It's a superbly accurate carbine.

Here are some chrony results for factory ammo:
------------

Federal .30-30 125-grain jhp:

(1) 2,462 fps
(2) 2,463 " ---> Average: 2,461 fps
(3) 2,456 "

Winchester .30-30 150-grain jsp:

(1) 2,180 fps
(2) 2,194 " ---> Average: 2,184 fps
(3) 2,177 "

Remington .30-30 170-grain Cor-Lokt

(1) 2,088 fps
(2) 2,076 " ---> Average: 2,078 fps
(3) 2,070 "

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was looking through some catalogs and I think I saw a Ram Line stock in a youth size for 50 or 60 dollars. this would be a inexpensive test to see if your lady likes the rifle before you cut down the wood stock.
Good catch a lady that likes to hunt she sounds like a keeper.

Kevin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts