Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week I ordered a new barrel in 338-06 for my Remington 700. It is equipped with a Bell & carlson Medalist stock an a Leupold 3-9x40.

What bullets do you use for your 338-06 load? I will use my rifle for hog and deer, perhaps sometimes moose. Your experiences and suggestions would be rather interesting to read.

Pete

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
My feelings is when going up in bore size a heavier bullets are called for. Sure a person can shoot a 185 or 200 grain bullet from a .338 but really what does it offer over a .30 caliber? Guess I would start at 225 and go from there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I'm shooting 180 grain accubonds thru my 338 rcm, and getting 1/2" groups at a hundred yards. Perhaps it doesn't offer anything over a 30 cal, but I still like it. Well, actually it does have an advantage over a 30 cal in that it has the ability to shoot 250 grain bullets.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The 185gr Barnes TSX will shoot thru two elk side by side & threw any hog you will encounter. It will give good velocity & decent trajectory. Try it you will be amazed.
On a tangent... a few folks I know use the 180gr Barnes in .35 Whelen and like them a lot. They're just shooting whitetails and hogs with them, though (southern states' "primitive weapons"). I would imagine that they'd work well on larger things, too.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I'd start with the 200 SST grain Hornady, great hunting bullet. I've killed plenty of whitetail and hogs with it, moderate recoil at full loading. The 200 grain gives good performance in game and accuracy...the do all bullet.

When you go for moose, I'd increase my bullet. Moose are REALLY BIG. And they like to run into swamps when hit (difficult to retrieve). Good news is most people hunt them at less than 150 yards, so BC isn't an issue. I like the 250 grain Hornady interlock.I've not hunted with the 338-06; but I sure like it. I've seenrecord bull moose and giant kudu, drop with the 250 Hornady, shot from 338 and 340. If you find the 250 gr kick too much; I'd not think twice about using the 200 grain Hornady .

·
Registered
90 Posts
For what you're wanting I suggest the marvelous 210gr Partition. It's the flag ship bullet of the Nosler 338 line. A good compromise between the 200 and 225gr bullets. Can be driven to 2750fps w/several different powders and is a great killer of big game from deer to moose. powdr

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I'd start with the 200 SST grain Hornady, great hunting bullet. I've killed plenty of whitetail and hogs with it, moderate recoil at full loading. The 200 grain gives good performance in game and accuracy...the do all bullet.

When you go for moose, I'd increase my bullet. Moose are REALLY BIG. And they like to run into swamps when hit (difficult to retrieve). Good news is most people hunt them at less than 150 yards, so BC isn't an issue. I like the 250 grain Hornady interlock.I've not hunted with the 338-06; but I sure like it. I've seenrecord bull moose and giant kudu, drop with the 250 Hornady, shot from 338 and 340. If you find the 250 gr kick too much; I'd not think twice about using the 200 grain Hornady .
I also like the 200gr SST. Knowing that the Scandanavian moose run, on average much smaller than our Canadian or Yukon or Alaskan moose, I'd figure it would do very well. If I was to choose the "best", I'd look at the 225gr Accubond or Partition and never look back.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your inputs! :)

Redding dies and a box of Hornady 250 grs RN have been ordered, and I am also considering Barnes Tsx or Accubond.

Now I have to wait two months for the licence for the new barrel and than for the smith to work. I am really looking forward to the day, when I can go to range and test it.

Regards,
Pete

Reactions: RevJim

·
Registered
703 Posts
I use Nosler 210gr Partitions in my 338-06 for big deer and other critters.
If I’m chasing hogs I generally run the Nosler 200gr Accubond. The accuracy with either is fantastic, I just like the 200gr for hogs, it rarely misses it’s intended purpose.

Cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used the old 300 grain PowerPoints or Original Barnes of that weight, or even the 275 gr. Speer Semi-Points or 250 grain Winchester Silvertips in my .338-06. The heavier, the better. I presume that in Sweden your moose hunting is much like ours here in Canada. Short range heavy bush, where 75 yards is the longest you can even see in the black spruce and your shots are usually in the 25-40 yard range, if your calling is up to par.

Don't forget that since those bullets were designed for .338 Winchester Magnum velocities, in the .338-06, they act like premium bullets at minimal cost, because the kids sell those bullets, 'cause they want the newest, bestest, fastest, blah, blah, blah!

I went the other way. I sold my .338-06 because I like my 4 Husqvarna 9.3's (M46 9.3x57, M146 9.3x57[x2] & M649 9.3x62) rifles more than my .338-06, or my .35 Whelen or even my .375 H&H for that matter.

Reactions: Old Shatterhand

·
Registered
327 Posts
I used the 35 Whelen Ackley Improved for 20yrs, along with many others. I like the Barnes for a monolithic and Old School type heavy cup and core like your Hornady 250RN. For deer and elk sized critters I used both in it; 200X, 250X, 310 Woodleigh. I had loads for the 250 Partition, but never hunted with it. I am one of "those guys" who feel that even a lighter weight bullet in a 338 and up caliber makes a bigger hole than the same weight in a 30 caliber...for example. I first used the 35 Whelen Ackley on Plains Game in South Africa with a 250X (this was in '96) going 2550fps ( like a 9.3x62 sorta). I shot Blue Wildebeast, Red hartebeest, Gemsbuk, zebra and kudu all with 250X. I also shot a few other head of Blesbuk, Impala with my friends two rifles; a 300WM/180xbt, and a warthog with his .375 H&H, 270 Failsafe. In the Whelen I only recovered 2 bullets, from lengthwise shots on Kudu and zebra. Over 3 meters penetration. I shot a zebra with a friends 300 Win Mag and the 180XBT...the entrance hole closed up on that thick skin and I had a devil of a time tracking him, finished him with the Whelen. The entrance holes stayed open! I saw the same thing when I used the 200X on another PG hunt with the Whelen, never recovered one from any kind of broadside angle! I used the 210XBT in a 340 Weatherby on one PG hunt with great results and I used a 185XLC in a 338 WinMag on a big cow elk...entrance holes stayed open on all! The wound channels were wider too. I am nostalgic though, and I like the way a heavy round nose "thumps" a big or solid (hogs) critter, so I use them. The last hog I shot with the Whelen Ackley was with that 310 Woodleigh going 2400fps, it made a 40 caliber entrance, a 75 caliber exit with soup for lungs and no wasted meat! 30yds shot too! I used the 180 Nosler Accubond in a 338 RUM going 3500fps on a big Aoudad sheep ( about 250 pounds) bullet acted just like a Partition...entrance hole stayed open. So...in 338 and up, lots of good choices! I too suggest you try the "both ends of the spectrum" and see the results...Medium calibers are such a "wonderful" Hunters caliber! I like how the flatter shooting lightweight monos/Premiums compare to the 300WM ( a very good cartridge btw) and how the heavyweights mimic the .375 H&H up close! best of both worlds! ha Good luck too you Pard! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts