Shooters Forum banner

338/06 loads

26K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Alaska 
#1 ·
Ive recently started shooting my 338/06 with imr 4064 and 225 sierra bullets. currently I've tried loads between 48 and 51gr which is minimum and middle loads in my manuals. all these loads show cratered primers of varying degree.any suggestions of loads and i cannot seem to find loads for 225 bullets with varget or h4831. my rifle is a savage and i use reformed 30.06 and 270 cases

#2 ·
4831 is probably going to be too slow.

For the Varget loads, you might call or send an email to Hodgdon. They don't list that bullet weight on their web site for the .338-06 but they might have some suggestions. I presume you've called Sierra - they have a toll-free number.

Also Nosler lists data in the #5 manual for the .338-06, I would ask them if they have any newer data for Varget and the 225gr. Partition, and use that as a starting point.

If every load you've tried craters primers, I would suspect firing pin fit to be an issue. Unfortunately there is little if any factory .338-06 ammo to compare to. What are your velocities?

#3 ·
338-06 Load Data

Were the cartridges completely dry and clean with NO signs of OIL - chamber too?? Any trace of OIL in the chamber or on the cartridges can lead to problems...

Hodgdon has loads listed on their web site at:

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/33806.php

Here's some loads from the link below:

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w33806.html

338-06 Reloading Data

Bullet (grs.)....Powder / (grs.).....MV.......ME

200 SP..........IMR 3031 / 48.0...2465....2700

200 SP..........IMR 4320 / 54.0...2610....3020

250 SP..........IMR 4064 / 56.0...2585....3730

250 SP..........IMR 3031 / 47.0...2370....3130

275 SP..........IMR 4350 / 55.0...2305....3250

275 SP..........IMR 4895 / 50.0...2275....3165

Check the rest of the cartridge and evaluate if other signs indicate over-pressure. Bright ring on the case? Case stretched? What kinda' crimp are you using? Is the crimp possibly excessive (too tight)?

GOOD LUCK & BE CAREFUL!

#4 ·
Bullet Seating Depth?

Duane, have you measured the COL of your loads and made certain the loaded bullets are not seated too far out or touching the barrel grooves? You need at least 0.030" clearance or you'll get overpressure.

Gowge said:
Were the cartridges completely dry and clean with NO signs of OIL - chamber too?? Any trace of OIL in the chamber or on the cartridges can lead to problems...

GOOD LUCK & BE CAREFUL!

#5 ·
duane said:
Ive recently started shooting my 338/06 with imr 4064 and 225 sierra bullets. currently I've tried loads between 48 and 51gr which is minimum and middle loads in my manuals. all these loads show cratered primers of varying degree.any suggestions of loads and i cannot seem to find loads for 225 bullets with varget or h4831. my rifle is a savage and i use reformed 30.06 and 270 cases

Duane,
In both my 338/06 rifles, the powder used is IMR-4350 with maginum primers only. Although other powders are sometimes listed, I find 4350 to be best with all bullet weights rom 200 thru 250 grains. If your using Federal primers, keep in mind they are soft and often crater easier than others. Try different primers for comparison. My rifles have no problem reaching 2550 or a little more with the heavy 250 gr bullets and Fed 215 primers.

#6 · (Edited)
Duane,
another quick thing to check since you formed your brass from another caliber, which is most often the case with the 338-06. See if a bullet will easily slide into the fired casing. If you have a custom chambered rifle, sometimes the specs for max length on the casings can be different, you might need to trim the case necks if a bullet will not slide easily into the fired, unsized, casing.

Anther thing is to verify that you didn't use any military 30-06 brass that will possibly have a slightly lower internal capacity as compared to the commercial brass that most data is based on.

If you have the chance to chronograph you loads, it is a great help to know your velocity and see how it compares to the listed velocities for the data you used. Take into account for barrel length differences for the test rifle and yours.

#7 ·
duane said:

While on the isue of the 338/06, I read somewhere that Weatherby is planning to chamber this cartridge, anyone else read this?

#9 ·
kciH said:
Ric,
Weatherby not only chambers the round but thy offer Weatherby ammunition for it, as does A-Sqare I think, so that non-hanloaders/custom gun buyers can enjoy the performance of this round.
Well how about that! Finally the cartridge gets its legitimate deserts. Do you know the chamber dimensions Weatherby used? same as th wildcat version perhaps, I'm wondering if their ammo will fit my chamber ok, not that I'd buy it. I'll have to look up their balistics, see what velocity, bullet types and weights they use... Thanks!

RIC

#10 ·
Duane,
I looked up the Weatherby site and see that 338/06 is certianaly available, both in rifles and ammo. Guess i'm behind on this but heck, it was worth the wait. This is one great round in my opinion, should have been legimate commerical cartridge a long time ago. My newest rifle is built use a Mark 10 action with Win safety, Douglas air gage barrel, timney trigger and a Pacific Research stock I've had for about 12 years or so awaiting a rifle. Open sights are custom made for dangerous game use and ajust with a coin. Scope is 6x42 Leupold in quick detachable mounts. The entire package is coated, being made for wet weather in bear and moose country. My loads are 58 grains of 4350 with Noslers 250 grain bullet, pretty stout load but without pressure signs. To test this rifle, I took a 700 pound elk two years back, breaking both shoulder bones while retriving the bullet on the far side just under the hide. Bullet retained 86% original weight. Distance was 125 yards. Using the 200 grain Hornady, I took a very large bodied Mule deer at 220 yards punching through both lungs, the deer fell in place without a flinch. Have not tried the 210 or 225 grain bullets on game, but hope to this year.

#11 ·
duane said:
Duane , Check your loading manual, it doesn't appear that you are using enough 4064 powder. If your load is too light , the firing pin will crater the primer and there is not enough pressure to push the crater back flat.
Shortshot

#12 ·
I've seen a problem like shorshot mentions, but it was primers backing out a ways as a result of low pressure. The cartridge had a good grip on the chamber wall and never created sufficient pressure to drive the case head back into the bolt face, allowing the primers to partially back out.

After I formed the cases to my chamber and increased the loading pressure, I never had this problem. I never did see a situation where cratering was caused by this, but I didn't mess around when I found out that my initial problem was caused by a lack of pressure and that the firearm in question could handle maximum loads with ease.

My problem occured with a .35 Remington cartridge. From this experience, and talking with the tech's at Hornady, I found that a XP-100 pistol will drive a 180gr bullet faster from a 15" barrel than would be safe in a lever action with a full length barrel. The .5moa groups are pretty nice too. :)

#13 ·
Just joined the forum and thought I'd let you know what I shoot in my Pre-64 Win M70 .338-06. The barrel was rebored from a .30-06 to the .338-06. My hunting load is 56 grs. IMR4064 and a 210 Nosler Partition in W-W brass with CCI 200 primers. I chrono'd the load at 2810 from a 24" barrel. My 250 gr load is 53 grs. IMR4064. Both shoot very well in my rifle with no excessive pressure signs. My 210 NP load is a great elk load.

#15 ·
duane said:
Hi Duane, I don't have the load data any longer or the rifle either for that matter as both were lost to a home fire several years ago. BUT, I got my best velocity with no overt signs of undue high pressure with VV-N550. I legitimately chronographed 2700+ fps with 225 gr Hornady Spire Point out of a Win Mod 70 with 24" barrel. It was my maximum load, but the point is that I got better velocity than 4350 and did not blow primers as I did trying to use H414. I believe that I was using 60 gr +/- a couple of grains of VV-N550 but that is relying on my fallible memory. I can only say that you are on your own loading for this wildcat as far as a maximum charge in your rifle, but I did get the best results in my rifle with N-550. I tried all the other usual powders - RL-15, Varget, IMR & H 4350, H414 and for the 225 gr bullet got my best velocity with the N-550. Good luck in finding your optimum load.

#16 ·
Duane, In the thread under wildcats, 338-06AI, I posted the names and dates of magazines that had articles with load data on the 338-06, and the AI, as well as comparisons with the .35 Whelen. There is way too much information to post even starting loads. Pet Loads has some reloading info as well. If you have a few specific components in mind I will try to get them to you.

#17 ·
T-BIRD said:
Duane, In the thread under wildcats, 338-06AI, I posted the names and dates of magazines that had articles with load data on the 338-06, and the AI, as well as comparisons with the .35 Whelen. There is way too much information to post even starting loads. Pet Loads has some reloading info as well. If you have a few specific components in mind I will try to get them to you.
Dumb guestion, is the same cartridge as the 333 OKH? Except for a couple of thousands?

#20 ·
Check OAL of Cartridge. 30-06 and 270 Win are different in Dimensions. My Uncle used .270 Win cases for his 30-06 Imp because the .270 longer.
the .280 Remington is even longer yet.
All anybody can do to help The problems that he is having is start with a systematic approach.
Start with the basics with the reloading equipment
Than the rifle than
the shooter.

#22 ·
338-06 loads

Duane,

A great resource for 338-06 loads is the "One Book/ One Caliber" manual for the 8mm/06 and 338/06 from Loadbooks USA. For example, the Hornady section includes some loads for Varget for their 225 grain bullet . One common warning throughout the book is to be very careful working up loads, since nearly all 338/06 rifles out there are converted or custom, and chamber dimensions can vary a heck of a lot! Hogdon publishes a lot of loads for this caliber, as well. I have not shot mine yet (trout fishing and turkey hunting getting in the way); an Interarms Mark X Mauser with a Bell and Carlson stock, Timmney trigger and a barrel with no manufacturer stamp on it, just 336-06 in tiny letters. On paper, Hogdon 414 looks really good for 225 gr loads. Hogdon publishes pressures, and max load listed for H414 has the lowest pressure of all the 225 grain max loads listed.

Good Luck

The Dentist

#24 ·
338/06 pressure

sorry this took so long to get back to. found that on some savage bolt faces the firing pin hole is oblong not round which will give an area for primer flow. have since rebarreled 4 others with no problem. i just know what to look for from the get-go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.