Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a re-barreled win. mod. 70 classic that has been giving me fits! after beddind the action and installing a cross bolt in the stock to cure a problem behind the recoil lug it seems to have settled down a bit. velocities have been around 2750 to 2900 with 210 gr. barnes xlc's with liberal doses of varget and rl-15 but the groups are not what i am used to. it has been hard to find people with experience with this round. the rifle wears a nikon 6x and a 26" shilen s.s. bbl. most cordially, victor e.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I see you are using the two "recommended" powders listed in Barnes #3 manual. However, the maximum load listed with the 210 XLC (blue color bullet) is 2,805 fps with IMR 4064. I would keep the velocity somewhere between 2,700 and 2,800 fps.

As you may already know, Barnes recommends that X bullets be seated approximately .050" off the lands as a starting point for load development, so maybe you want to try that first. I would thoroughly clean the rifling, then try a few rounds and see how they work. Also, some barrels do not shoot well with some bullet brands. I would experiment a little longer with the XLC, then try a box of NOS 210-grain Partition, but only after thoroughly cleaning the bore one more time.

Another idea is to try a box of Weatherby .338-06 ammo with Nosler bullets. I know this ammo is expensive, but at least it will give you another idea on how your rifle shoots. I imagine a couple of boxes of XLC bullets would cost as much as a box of 20 Weatherby rounds. Sometimes letting someone else, hopefully a good shooter, shoot your rifle at the range makes a big difference.

The .338-06 has become very popular nowadays, so you should not have any problems finding help with it if you look around the Internet.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
With very rare exceptions (two that I can think of in over twenty years of reloading) I have seen more results changing bullets and seating depth than changing powders, provided the powders you are using are appropriate (Lord that is a lot of P's!).
I think Ray has given you some good advice. I hope you get that rascal shooting well. It's built on my favorite action and is an interesting caliber! Good luck. IDShooter

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,314 Posts
X-bullets are known for being picky. I have a 338, loves the 210gr. XBT, my friend's .338 won't even make good patterns with the same bullets out of the same box.

Before you drive yourself nuts, go get a box of something cheaper, like Hornady spire points or Nosler BTs and see how they do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts