Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm to the point of being very frustrated trying to get this thing to shoot! looking for an informed, sympathetic person that loves this round as much as his hunting dog or pick-up truck! what am i doing wrong? everything i try seems to make little or no difference. thinking of re-barreling to 5.5 velo-dog. help! thank you, victor

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Guess I will put my 2bits worth in on this one, since I do have and shoot a 338/06 rifle. Since I ain't got no crystal ball to look into there, you are going to have to tell me what you are shooting etc and what you have done so far. Now what kind of rifle is it? Bolt action etc. brand and model, length of barrel etc.

Is the barrel free floated? What kind of groups have you been getting at the range shooting? (type of powder and bullets) Sorry to ask sooooo many questions, but that is the nature of the beast.......trying to figure out which way to go here OK.:D :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
338-06 reply

here goes. win mod 70 classic, 26" shilen s.s. bbl,6x nikon. rebarreled by friend of 20 yrs. i trust implicitly. rifle is bedded and floated, borescoped,and recrowned. have tried 225&250 hornady sp's,200 nosler ball. tips, 210,225,&250 partitions, 210 barnes xlc's,& 250 sierra's with imr 4320,4350,4064,h414,varget,rl15,rl,19,win primers,cci200,fed210,fed210m,rem9 1/2, all with about the same results, 1.25-1.75"@100yds. only thing i have not done is give it to someone else to try or change scope. brass is all winchester trimmed after every loading. getting frustrated, help would be most appreciated. most cordially, victor

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,237 Posts
Change scope and mounts. That many combinations should have turned up some good loads.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Big Bore 416, I use RL-22 with my 225 grain Nosler partitions and TBBC bullets nowdays. 72.4 grains of powder. On the Nosler 250's I use H4831 powder 68 grains for a velocity of 2650fps.

Those Barnes xlc bullels get push by RL-19 - 73 grains = velocity of 2730fps. shoots under a .514 MOA.

RL- 19 @ 77.7 grains = velocity of 2900fps. shoots .786 MOA.

Set your xlc bullets back off the lands .045

I personally think you need to get a better scope (Leupold) and matching mounts. I use a 4x12 to sight my worked up loads with and then switch it over to the 2 x 7 scope later after all bench work is done, then resight in the rifle.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Why not try a box of factory ammo and see how it shoots? I know it's not the cheapest, but it will give you a baseline to work from. I don't have a 338-06, but I have a 35 WhelenAI in a similar gun, so I can't offer you any load data. You should check your ammo for runout on a RCBS Case Master or similar tool to make sure you didn't get a bad set of dies, it can happen.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Scope problems all the way. Even if mounts, rings and body are not moving, your point of aim can be changing 1 MOA due to slight changes in the positioning of your shooting eye. If you wear refractive eye glasses, they must be in the exact same position on your face for every shot or even a $1000 scope won't let you do better.

Hope it works out for you. The frustration of a pet gun that won't shoot is unique...

I now do nearly all of my testing with a spotting scope on the bench and a $400 laser on top of the rifle. You squeeze 'em off looking through the spotting scope at the laser dot on the target.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,237 Posts
For what it's worth, John Barsness reported in "Rifle" or "Handloader" recently that the last batch of .338-06 ammo he got from A-Square was terrible.

You know it must have been bad if a gunwriter said it was no good.

Not sure what other sources are available for .338-06.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Weatherby sells .338-06 ammo. But like other have replied here, the problem is probably related to scope/mounts. Why don't you let us know what the fix was upon finding or solving the problem?

And keep in mind that 1.5"-2" at 100 yards may not be bad depending on what game size you plan to hunt. For example, I could easily kill a moose within 300 yards with your .338-06, but I would probably miss a squirrel at 150 to yards every now and then. It all means that deer and bigger game would be dead meat within 200 yards. Maybe you have a problem with the rifle, and to find out if it is you or the rifle, let someone who can shoot well shoot the rifle at the range. Use factory ammo, and also your handloads. Try shooting from a thoroughly cleaned and cool barrel whenever you go from one load to the next. Clean the barrel, don't leave oil in it, and fire strings of three to five shots as you maintain a cool barrel. Take your time between shots to keep it cool, and always support the rifle on the sand bag so the pressure on the stock is on the same point, and far away from the barrel in front of the stock (as close as possible to the floor plate). If you move this support area on the sand bag, the POI could change.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
reply to ray

problem with rifle turned out to be a bad front leupold scope ring. after installing new rings and a 4-12x40mm leupold scope the first 3 round group went into .254" @ 1oo yds. nothing i shot that day went over 1/2 inch. load was 52 grs. rl-15, wlr primer,win case,250 gr sierra boattail for right at 2600 fps from a 26" shilen s.s. bbl. on a win mod 70 classic. needless to say i am now through with the load work on this rifle. time to move on to my cz 550 safari in 416 rigby, ouch ! variety is the spice of life! thanks for ya'll's help, most cordially, victor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts