Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my issue of NRA rifleman and they featured the 338 Federal.

One statement really caught my attention. He was comparing 200 grain 308 (handloaded) versus the 338 Federal vs the 358 win. And at 200 yds both the 308 and the 338 were mostly over 2,000 ft-lbs. But when he said: "forget the 358 Win, the best factory load can muster... is 1,563 ft-lbs."

First of all isn't 1,563 ft-lbs sufficient to kill a pretty fair sized animal? And secondly, can't hand loading tweak out a bit better performance from a 358 win?

I'm not disparaging the 338 federal as it looks very impressive and I hope it gathers a stong following that the 358 failed to do. In fact if I was going to buy a new bolt action I would strongly consider the 338 federal. My other choice would be to get or build up a 358 Win.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
I don't think any deer would notice the difference between the 308, 338 Federal and the 358 Winchester at 200 yards.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm with Bob. Who was the author?

I'd still like to have a Browning BLR in either 358 Win or **someday?** 338 Fed; I'd pick the latter over the former, too.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Numbers on paper never killed a single animal. If numbers were so critical, the 45-70 would've been forgotton long ago.

358 is typically tossed into the catagory of woods cartridges. Most so-called experts have never tested its trajectory at 300 yards. While not in the same class as 270 or 7mm MAG, the 358 shoots a whole lot flatter than would be expected. No reason why the 358 can't perform out on the open prairie.

Buy which ever one you like and I'm certain you're success will be solely based upon adjusting the nut behind the butt plate. :)
TR

·
Registered
359 Posts
Lets see a 210 .338 partition at 200 yards or a 225 .358 partition at 200 yards I'd pick the 358 win its momentum that makes a complete hole thru an elk. The 338-08 is neet but if I wanted to shoot over 300 yards I'd shoot a 308. If someone is to compare the three the 338 is the compermise between the other two which is not bad either

·
Registered
68 Posts

The guy that wrote the article is just trying to make some money and would likely say anything to do it. Its his job

The fact that the ammo he used for the 200 yard 2000 ft/lb would likely be ballistic tip for the 308 and 338. The only factory ammo for 358 is more of a round nose design. Of course it is going to drop energy fast.

Now if you load the 358 win with the 225 gr nosler partition and throw it at about 2500fps (conley cart. list 2525fps with this bullet), you still have 2000ft/lb out to 250 yards. If you site this load in dead on at 200 yards then you are only down 10 inches at 300 yards. Thats not to shabby.

Federal is also pushing the TKO factor with the highest TKO being 26.7 for the 338 federal. The TKO value for the 358 with the 225gr NP at 2500fps is 29 (the 338 win mag with a 200gr bullet at 2950fps has a TKO of 28). If you use the 250gr. bullet at 2400fps(conley list 2415fps) the TKO goes up to 31. The writer sure wont put that in his artical.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I did read one article on the 358 win where the auther stated that another amunition company told him "for 2007 they were introducing the 358Win with a brand new designed bullet"
Could be a CoreLokt Ultra, SST interLock, or fussion? Remington could use heavier bullets for the 350 rem and whelen, maybe a 225grainer? Hornady could replace the gumy tip in their leverevolution, and federal just jumped in the effecient/balaced caliber catagory with the 338 fed.
Its got me wondering.

·
Registered
68 Posts

That is great that another company would consider giving the 358 a boost with a bullet with higher ballistic coef. I have read a few places that ruger will be chambering a stainless rifle in 358 win, it wouldnt supprise me if hornady was the one to be loading for the 358. Hornady and ruger have been togeather on several projects.

I plan on buying the stainless ruger chambered in 358 win as soon as funds allow. This would be a great rifle for general hunting. I cant really shoot well past 250 yards anyways.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New 358 ammo would really help.

It seems like a manf. like Ruger or Savage could really put out a gun in 308, 338 federal and 358 win. What difference would it make to them other than the chamber reamer? Or do these all have different twist rates?

Seems to me it comes more down to if you hand load or not. If not then the 338 federal may be better in that there are afew more factory choices. If you handload then the 358 seems perfectly reasonable. I assume that both the 338 federal and I understand the 358 win brass can be made from forming 308 brass so there shouldn't be any shortage in that regard.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I sort of browsed thru the article last night, and I may be wrong but I believe the author made a point of basically saying, "hey, there are all sorts of arguments about this load or that, and to avoid getting into mine is bigger than yours, I'm just gonna stick to published factory numbers here."

Cut the guy some slack, in order to do any sort of comparison you need to establish a baseline, and that's all he's doing.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Jonas said:
Per Fed's site, two Tikkas (Hunter and Camo Stainless) are ready to go in .338.

jonas
Weird. Berettas site doesnt show the Tikkas for the .338 Fed, but they do on the Sakos. So which one is the truth, Berettas or Federals.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is also claimed that Ruger will chamber the 338 Federal as well as Thompson Center. In a 20 inch barreled light weight rifle with low power variable I see the rifles potential, yet it is said to deliver more downrange than the 30-06.

·
Registered
354 Posts
A request.

I counted over 30 bullets available for reloading the .358 Winchester. Not counting the pistol bullets. Since they are terribly outmoded caliber guns send them all to me. :D After they arrive I might send you a refund for the shipping box and freight. ;) PM me for address and further details. Thanks in advance for the guns, (junk). Bandito

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The 358 got a bad rap since it came out with the 243. But the 358 is a good round, and more than just a bush round. If we could call it the 360 MAG OR USE THE METRIC INSTEAD OF 35 cAL , We might be able to snow some new shooters in trying the round out.
I would call the 358W a great black bear cartridge and probably would prefer the bigger bullet over the the 308 ,when confronted with a healthy bear.looking to take some white meat ( me)

What is the 338 going to do . Guess it might shoot a bit flatter using an 8MM bullet opposed to a factory blunt 35 Cal bullet, but there are always trade off. What the 338 now has over the 358 is that it is now the new kid on the block so every one is gonna' look her up.
As afar as compairing them all on paper one might fly a bit faster than the other, while the bigger pill will make the bigger hole to bleed out .

Look at the 35 compared to the 30/30 . The 35 Rem. does a whole lot better in the bush than it goes on paper. Looking at the 32 Remington and the 35 Cal remington - who won ?

If we compared the 308 to the 3006 , we have trade offs too . So I would not be kickin stones about wanting the new 338 federal if we already had a fine 358 . We just need to reload and things might just add up a bit closer to compairing apples to apples ,oranges to oranges.
I think there is more in Marketing a round and selling new guns , then there are better tools for harversting game.
Hey next year we might all need the new 366/ 62.
( 9.3 x62)
So if every one now went with the 338 Federal . Look up boys We are gonna have some new brass to load our old 358W.
And That is were I end on that postive note.
Happy

·
Banned
706 Posts
Some of you should actually read the article. The point is that the new .338 is just as flat as the .308. The additional weight holds velocity, which makes up for the fatter hole, so they equal out. I, too, would love to see this in a BLR...would be perfect mountain gun, flat for long shots, lots of whump on big animals.

I went back and re-read the article, and the author does make a couple unfair comparisons by using the same bullet weights in .308, .338, and .358 to show how much better the .338 is in trajectory and energy. That's like taking a .458 mag and comparing it to a .223, restricting both to 400 gr bullets. So, I want to do some research to compare the .308 in 165 gr, which is nearly .300 Weatherby trajectory out to 250 yards, with the best in the .338 and .358, preferably something like Hornady SST's or Nosler BT's...all in all, I expect the .338 will shine brightly.

More editing. After reviewing the ballistics a bit more, I can see why the .358 is failing. No bullets. No decent bullets anyway. Even Hornady doesn't do a decent one, imo...sad. So the .338 Fed looks like the ticket. Need a BLR in one, and need an SST at about 200-210 gr. (If I wanted to shoot 180's, I could do it in my .308.) 225's will cost too much recoil.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts