Shooters Forum banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check the BC of the 225gr Accubond vs the Partition. Accubonds are bit cheaper but I doubt they'll perform any better on game and they won't work in some short actions without deep seating and eating up powder space. I have used the 358 in a BLR quite a bit. To me it is a very well balanced package. Light, short and easy to carry. Packs well in a scabbard. Not a lot of recoil and a mild report. It can be as accurate as any cartridge based on the 308 case and performs well out of short barrels. I think the 225's are the ticket in the 358 although not needed for whitetails. The round is devastating on deer even with 200gr bullets although i see no advantage to using them. I don't feel that "premium" bullets are needed either although I use Partitions when traveling far and writing a big check to hunt. I'm sure the Sierra's would work well. I can hold on hair past 300 yds and still have over 2000 ft/lbs of energy for you numbers guys and still have enough velocity for reliable expansion. My longest shot has been right at 200 yds which went completely through a bull elk and my closest was 20 yds which penetrated over 3 ft of bull moose. Steaks from both are delicious btw. You don't really have to worry about bullets blowing up at essentially muzzle velocity with the 358. I have not been "range limited" by the cartridge, only by opportunity. Relatively cheap to reload for, doesn't use a lot of powder. What's not to like? I don't believe the 338 Federal will do anything better in the real world. It's only real advantage is factory ammo which I don't care about anyway. I wonder how many factory loads will be available in 20 yrs. The fact is over 30 caliber rifles just don't sell that well in this country. If I didn't already have a 358 the 338 would be a good choice. More bolt rifle choices, at least for now.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
One might argue that the 338 Federal is a medium bore, while the 358 Winchester is a big bore, but a lot of folks agree that big bores really start at .375, so I consider both to be medium bore. Fundamentally, they use the exact same case, shooting projectiles that are but .020" apart: How can one be significantly better than the other? Expressed as a percentage, they are less than 6% different, which is truly negligible. If someone can make a convincing argument, explaining how one cartridge is appropriate for a given application, but the other isn't, I would be interested to hear it. Until then, I will continue to think of these two cartridges as peas in the same pod.

·
Registered
993 Posts
One might argue that the 338 Federal is a medium bore, while the 358 Winchester is a big bore, but a lot of folks agree that big bores really start at .375, so I consider both to be medium bore. Fundamentally, they use the exact same case, shooting projectiles that are but .020" apart: How can one be significantly better than the other? Expressed as a percentage, they are less than 6% different, which is truly negligible. If someone can make a convincing argument, explaining how one cartridge is appropriate for a given application, but the other isn't, I would be interested to hear it. Until then, I will continue to think of these two cartridges as peas in the same pod.
Yes they are peas but not in the same pod, but they are both peas. I like some brands of peas better than other brands. I like 358 peas better than 338 peas, but Jim you are right - until someone gives an convincing argument explaining how one cartridge is appropriate for a given application, but the other isn't, we still have peas. It gets down to which one you prefer when you I like all peas.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I own both and have taken game with both. I even now have them in virtually a twin platform with a Hawkeye SS in both .338F & .358W. I actually do believe there's one time I prefer one over the other and that's with the heaviest bullets typically found in either/both calibers. I have my 77/.358 presently set up with 250gr Speer GS loads for a bear hunt I recently was on. I'd actually not feel totally uncomfy carrying either that 77 or my BLR in .358 as bear (big bear) protection with this load. A 250gr GS (or NP) with SD of .279 @ 2400+ FPS is not a bad load. The .348 Win gained quite a following with just those numbers (of course, that was before bears had bullet-proof vests:p) Yes, I'd prefer a .35W or .350RM, but wouldn't feel nekked with that rifle & load. As far as needing both, if ya own one ya likely do not need the other, admittedly;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I just came across it while doing some reading on .338 vs .358. I don't own a .338 but I do own and hand load a .358.
Nosler 225gr accubond at 2500+ fps. 45gr imr 3031. In a good bolt rifle like the ruger 77 Hawkeye which is what I shoot. I get 3 shot groups at 100 yds that look almost like 1 hole. you can take the load to 46gr it's a little over but still not compressed I never did chronograph that load but someone online said they got 2600fps. The .358 will make pretty much any north American big game within 300 yds very dead.

I recently went to the sierra game king 225 spbt they are much cheaper. I use the same 45gr load. I mainly hunt deer and hogs never have to look far for anything.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I just came across it while doing some reading on .338 vs .358. I don't own a .338 but I do own and hand load a .358.
Nosler 225gr accubond at 2500+ fps. 45gr imr 3031. In a good bolt rifle like the ruger 77 Hawkeye which is what I shoot. I get 3 shot groups at 100 yds that look almost like 1 hole. you can take the load to 46gr it's a little over but still not compressed I never did chronograph that load but someone online said they got 2600fps. The .358 will make pretty much any north American big game within 300 yds very dead.

I recently went to the sierra game king 225 spbt they are much cheaper. I use the same 45gr load. I mainly hunt deer and hogs never have to look far for anything.

I use this bullet as loaded by BB in my SS M77 Hawkeye. I took a bear in Maine with it, full penetration & DIT. I've not killed a bear with my M77 in .338 Fed, but another member of our party used his .338/06 on his bear this year. 225gr Partition (IIRC) and it did run off a short ways.

Rifle in the stand, shortly before the shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have had both the 338 F and the 358 W .
Never got to down any game with the 358 W but have dropped Deer with the 338 F.
The gun is over powdered for deer as- should you take a shoulder shot -you will blow the opposite shoulder right out with a 200 gr bullet , so best just make rib shots and not loose any meat.Once that is understood ,and you place your shot it is always down not going very far . The guy I bought the gun from wanted it back after hearing about the game that was shot with that gun - so I sold it back, otherwise I still have that gun in 338.The 358 is another gun hunters should take up . They would enjoy either chambering once gave it a chance .
Here in Central Ontario with mixed farm and bush there is a like a cult shooting the 358 W . It does well for deer, bear and moose , and therefore you never see a used gun offered in the gun shop . People tend to hang onto anything chambered in 358 W . I myself would love to have a ruger bolt in 358 but never could find one new or used .
Now the 338 never sits on the used rack up here neither . The thing the 338 has is that you can find more ammo for it, where the 358 is mostly a reloaders fun. Think you would pay more for a used gun than when it was new .
For deer you can tone your cartridge down abit and load lead bullets . Much cheaper to practice with and the loads sure will down a good size dear .
So either gun - if it is brown , it's down . If you reload you will wonder why you never shot the cambering before .

·
Registered
973 Posts
For deer at closer ranges, it might be better to load these cartridges down to 35 Remington or 33 Winchester levels. - And use bullets intended for those, flat points and all.

I have never owned a 358W or 338F, and cannot honestly say that I have any preference between the two. For me, the rifle shooting it would be the deciding factor.

From a building standpoint, I'd build a rifle in .338F because there are more guns for that round in current production, which means that the ammo is going to be easier to find over the long run.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I'm not about to question the experiences of others, but after shooting, literally, truckloads of deer with the .338 Fed, .358 Win, .35 Whelen and .350RM using full power loads and experiencing no problems with excessive "damage" and no complaints from all the deer that fell to them, I'll stick with the regular and warm loads for deer, hogs and black bear. I've simply not seen any issues with using such loads, even the 2 bucks killed with a 200gr TSX @ 2875 FPS (35 Whelen)

For those areas where ranges tend to be very short, I do also use the .356 & .375 Wins tho.

·
Registered
704 Posts
It would seem like a waste of lead to use a 200 or 225 gr bullet on deer when the 160gr or 180gr bullets in the 338F will kill any deer with less recoil.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I prefer the 180gr Accubond out of my .338F, but I can no longer find that load. My rifle is sighted in with it, about 4 rounds left. Tempted to use it on a big Georgia hog in February. But, no flies on the 200gr Fusion in the .338F either. I don't notice any difference in 180/2800 FPS and 200/2700 FPS recoil-wise.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I'm not about to question the experiences of others, but after shooting, literally, truckloads of deer with the .338 Fed, .358 Win, .35 Whelen and .350RM using full power loads and experiencing no problems with excessive "damage" and no complaints from all the deer that fell to them, I'll stick with the regular and warm loads for deer, hogs and black bear. I've simply not seen any issues with using such loads, even the 2 bucks killed with a 200gr TSX @ 2875 FPS (35 Whelen)

For those areas where ranges tend to be very short, I do also use the .356 & .375 Wins tho.
Doesn't it just give you a warm, fuzzy feeling to know that the rifle that you're carrying will take any critter that wanders by? No need to run home and get your bigger/smaller gun to fit the next (imagined) situation!

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Yes Sir, it does! I've never been known to use the term "overkill" ever! Deer with a .450 Marlin, why not? Deer with the Whelen? Best darn deer cartridge I've ever used and I've used over 20 others.

Ya never know when that mountain lion confirmed to be in Tn, Sasquatch, or a very hungry black bear might be sizing you up for a meal. I plan to be ready! :D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Doesn't it just give you a warm, fuzzy feeling to know that the rifle that you're carrying will take any critter that wanders by? No need to run home and get your bigger/smaller gun to fit the next (imagined) situation!
Then we should all be packing the 50 BMG.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I counted over 30 bullets available for reloading the .358 Winchester. Not counting the pistol bullets. Since they are terribly outmoded caliber guns send them all to me. :D After they arrive I might send you a refund for the shipping box and freight. ;) PM me for address and further details. Thanks in advance for the guns, (junk). Bandito
To expedite delivery of these guns to Bandito, don't forget BATF regulation UFOOL429, Section 11, paragraph 19 that states the guns must first undergo an inspection prior to shipment. I am certified to do this inspection and promise to forward said guns once completed. :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas everyone.

Reactions: Timc

·
Registered
1 Posts
338 Federal vice 358

Many have commented on bullets intended for magnums (e.g. 338 Win Mag) as too tough to open at 338 Federal velocities. My decision has been to reload 200gr Hornady SST bullets. SST's tend to be not so tough and have a high ballistic coefficient for long range shooting so they can expand at lower velocities. (Hodgdon has loads for this bullet/caliber combination on their web page). I have never tried to load Hornady FTX bullets in the 338 Federal case as some have suggested--I haven't found published data for that combination. As always, approach maximum loads with caution.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Is this the record...Love 338 Federal

Yes, my lowly Tikka T3 in 338 Federal would be the last to go. From the original post til this revival the cartridge has come and gone and currently in a resurrection. What a life!

·
Registered
546 Posts
It's always enjoyable to see the passion for certain calibers and cartridges, but the truth is, that with similar constructed bullets, there is VERY little difference between two adjacent calibers. The .338 vs. .358 debate is no different from the 7mm vs. 30-06 debate or the 44 mag vs. 45 Colt debate. When comparing two different cartridges on the same parent case, if you compare bullet weights, then the smaller one will have a higher sectional density while the larger one will give more velocity at the same pressure, so a wash. If you compare sectional densities, say a 225 gr .338 to a 250 gr .358, then the smaller one will have a little more velocity while the larger one has more bullet weight. The point is, by any PRACTICAL comparison, there is no difference on game.

I recently went on a multi-species hunt on the Big Island of Hawaii (of all places!) and took my 35 Whelen Improved. I killed a 180 lb. sheep, a 200 lb. goat, and a 900 lb. bovine, all with one shot, using my 250 gr Nosler Partition handloads at 2600 fps. muzzle velocity. There was no overkill, no damaged meat, just certain, quick kills. A 338-06 Improved with the 225 gr Nosler would have done exactly the same thing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm still a fan of the .358 Win. I have owned two of them over the years, the first one (which I wished I'd never gotten rid of) was a Browning BLR. However, the second one which I still have is a Ruger M77. I shoot exclusively 250 grain spitzers at 2280 fps which generates 2885 foot pounds of energy. One of the early posts stated that they could only get around 1500. Anyway there isn't nothing in North America that will stand up to that as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Browning BLR in a 358 Win: I had one, once, not long ago. Honestly it was the least accurate rifle I've ever encountered. Beautiful looking. Handled well. But Browning needs to address the absolutely poor barrel it had from the factory. I couldn't hit a 8 inch paper plate consistently at 100 yards with a scope! It didn't matter what factory load, or custom hand load I ran through it. I never had any confidence to take it hunting. I have more respect for the game I pursue than to subject them to bullets that might be hailed from a rifle that made the shooter look like a blind man. I sold it as I require my rifles to at least be capable of shooting 1.5 MOA minimal at 100 yards. This rifle scared me from ever buying another Browning rifle. Tikka T3 lite and all Savage rifles still hold the water for me. They come from the factory as tack drivers!

141 - 160 of 165 Posts