Shooters Forum banner

161 - 166 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
308, 338 and 358 all based on the same cartridge.
The 338 was a solution to a problem that had been solved years ago.
Shooters needed another 308 refugee like they need a 308-40. Not only is there no need, there is no demand for such a round. I suppose that is why the cartridge is fading into oblivion already. Wait! we can still make a 308-45. No, that would require a case to headspace on its mouth and we all know that's "impossible". ;)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
SilverDollar said:
Browning BLR in a 358 Win: I had one, once, not long ago. Honestly it was the least accurate rifle I've ever encountered. Beautiful looking. Handled well. But Browning needs to address the absolutely poor barrel it had from the factory. I couldn't hit a 8 inch paper plate consistently at 100 yards with a scope! It didn't matter what factory load, or custom hand load I ran through it. I never had any confidence to take it hunting. I have more respect for the game I pursue than to subject them to bullets that might be hailed from a rifle that made the shooter look like a blind man. I sold it as I require my rifles to at least be capable of shooting 1.5 MOA minimal at 100 yards. This rifle scared me from ever buying another Browning rifle. Tikka T3 lite and all Savage rifles still hold the water for me. They come from the factory as tack drivers!
Are you sure it was the rifle? Here's what my 358 BLR did at 100 yards with the 200 Sierra, a 10-shot group that I threw one:

And the 200 Core Lokt SP, granted this bullet isn't as consistent as the Sierra and haven't shot one that tight since, but the rifle did it:

I shot a deer no problem at 200 yards with the 200 Hornady at about 2550 fps, I thought I'd catch the bullet but no such luck, it went through, creased the heart and busted out the opposite shoulder dumping it right there.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,470 Posts
Holy cow!! You should shoot pdogs with that rifle Randy!!!

RJ

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,470 Posts
Randy, I have an extra room, cheep.

RJ

161 - 166 of 166 Posts