Shooters Forum banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
308, 338 and 358 all based on the same cartridge.
The 338 was a solution to a problem that had been solved years ago.
Shooters needed another 308 refugee like they need a 308-40. Not only is there no need, there is no demand for such a round. I suppose that is why the cartridge is fading into oblivion already. Wait! we can still make a 308-45. No, that would require a case to headspace on its mouth and we all know that's "impossible". ;)

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
SilverDollar said:
Browning BLR in a 358 Win: I had one, once, not long ago. Honestly it was the least accurate rifle I've ever encountered. Beautiful looking. Handled well. But Browning needs to address the absolutely poor barrel it had from the factory. I couldn't hit a 8 inch paper plate consistently at 100 yards with a scope! It didn't matter what factory load, or custom hand load I ran through it. I never had any confidence to take it hunting. I have more respect for the game I pursue than to subject them to bullets that might be hailed from a rifle that made the shooter look like a blind man. I sold it as I require my rifles to at least be capable of shooting 1.5 MOA minimal at 100 yards. This rifle scared me from ever buying another Browning rifle. Tikka T3 lite and all Savage rifles still hold the water for me. They come from the factory as tack drivers!
Are you sure it was the rifle? Here's what my 358 BLR did at 100 yards with the 200 Sierra, a 10-shot group that I threw one:

And the 200 Core Lokt SP, granted this bullet isn't as consistent as the Sierra and haven't shot one that tight since, but the rifle did it:

I shot a deer no problem at 200 yards with the 200 Hornady at about 2550 fps, I thought I'd catch the bullet but no such luck, it went through, creased the heart and busted out the opposite shoulder dumping it right there.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,555 Posts
Holy cow!! You should shoot pdogs with that rifle Randy!!!

RJ

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,555 Posts
Randy, I have an extra room, cheep.

RJ

Reactions: M1Garand

·
Registered
87 Posts
one thing about the 338 it aint no 358 which its trying to be

Reactions: M1Garand

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I have a 750 in 35 whelen and it is the bees knees.
Very nice rifle! I owned a M7400 in .35W and it was a reliable, accurate rifle. It was sold to a good friend when the M750 Carbine in .35W came out. That rifle loved 225gr Sierras and produced 1" groups (3 shot) @ 100 yards. Nice rifle! But, it moved out when someone offered me about double what I'd paid for it NIB. (y)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Silver Dollars I wouldn't tolerate an an inaccurate rifle myself. But I never owned one. I have 308 and 358 Winchester BLRs and both are minute of deer at 200 yards. Bryce Towsley put together a nice custom rifle as a project for an article, shot it and pronounced the 358 winchester a brush gun. In other words he said what lots of other rag writers said. He had the perfect opportunity to poo poo the silliness that had been said in the past but didn't bother. I remind people that say those things that the same case has been the basis for great sniper rifles and used in battle for over 60 years. If you can't figure out a long shot you're not a sniper. Maybe not even a good hunter. But contrary to what I just said, I have never shot anything at more than 120 yards and one buck was about 3 or 4 yards with the 358 Winchester. I just get closer. In the process of ambushing a whitetail I got a feeling of accomplishment. YMMV but I like the 358 Winchester, all four of mine... Be Well, Bandito.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Silver Dollars I wouldn't tolerate an an inaccurate rifle myself. But I never owned one. I have 308 and 358 Winchester BLRs and both are minute of deer at 200 yards. Bryce Towsley put together a nice custom rifle as a project for an article, shot it and pronounced the 358 winchester a brush gun. In other words he said what lots of other rag writers said. He had the perfect opportunity to poo poo the silliness that had been said in the past but didn't bother. I remind people that say those things that the same case has been the basis for great sniper rifles and used in battle for over 60 years. If you can't figure out a long shot you're not a sniper. Maybe not even a good hunter. But contrary to what I just said, I have never shot anything at more than 120 yards and one buck was about 3 or 4 yards with the 358 Winchester. I just get closer. In the process of ambushing a whitetail I got a feeling of accomplishment. YMMV but I like the 358 Winchester, all four of mine... Be Well, Bandito.
In the summer I hunt woodchucks with the rifles I plan to use for big game that year. This year it is my savage 99 in 308 shooting 165 grain round nose Speer bullets Killed 2 this past Saturday one at 272 lazer ranged yards. Brush gun indeed. I have sent a lot of whistlepigs to the happy hunting grounds with 35 caliber rifles using big game bullets. Chucks don’t seem to realize what hit them. I have shot chucks well over 250 yards with my deer rigs. Sharpens my range finding skills and gives me good practice from field position shooting. I shot a chuck last year at a shade over 200 yards with my 35 rem in a Marlin 336. Short range brush gun my butt. I believe in what I see or experience not what some self proclaimed expert writes in a gun rag. Set your own limits, practice on vermin and coyotes is good prep for big game hunting.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I shot one at 200 yards with my BLR with the 200 Hornady at around 2550 fps. Was hoping to catch the bullet, but no such luck, went through and broke out the opposite shoulder. I really didn't use any Kentucky windage, so much for a "brush" gun.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I was thinking that the range of .338 bullets would be a lot less than that of .358, but I was amazed to see that there are actually so many bullets in .338. Didn't count exact numbers of products, but I think it is close to the same amount for each. Don't see how the two cartridges could be that far apart as far as ballistics go. Really don't think that a deer sized animal would ever know the difference.........................................

·
Registered
514 Posts
The deer would not know the difference, and neither would 99% of hunters. Just like comparing the .270 WCF and the .280 Rem or the .44 and .41 Mags it’s a wash in practical terms. Unless you’re a ballistics chart warrior, then of course a few inches drop at 600 yards is a huge difference and renders the cartridge with more drop an abject failure which only fools would ever shoot. At deer. At 200 yards. Right.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hello All,
I didn't have time to read all 9 pages of this thread so apologies if this point has already been made:
No doubt the .338 Fed is a great cartridge. That said, the Barnes .358 200 grain TTSX boat tail is practically MADE for the .358 Win. It's "stumpy" and can fit a 2.8" mag without crowding the powder, yet sports a .369 BC. It can be easily started at 2700 fps from a 22" barrel with 51-52 grains of TAC (I shoot this in my M99 Savage and it works smoothly and safely). This gives >2000 ft lbs to 300 yards, and > 1800 FPS (to expand the TTSX) to 500 yards. At 5000' elevation, sighted 2.75" high at 100 yards gives a 3" PBR of around 270 yards and only 6" low at 300 yards.
I've no doubt the .338 Fed can offer similar performance, and that's my point. The two are "similar", and handloaded to the same pressure, with similarly designed, same weight bullets, you'd have to get way far out in range before the .338 showed an advantage over the .358, due to the .358's greater MV because of its higher expansion ratio.

Cheers,
Rex

·
Registered
429 Posts
Rex,
A guy could probably load that Barnes bullet in the .356Win and make his levergun into a long range two shooter.
(i haven't read the previous 9 pages either)

·
Registered
108 Posts
And you can hand load both cartridges by sizing 308 brass. Two peas in the same pod.

161 - 180 of 180 Posts