Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is the better bullet for deer the 200 gr.speer or the 200 gr. ballistic tip. I would like to get around 3000-3100fps out of my Ruger M77. Also whichis the best powder imr 4350 of r19. Right now I am using r19 with the 200gr.speer at 2990fps. I know the deer won't know the diff., but I would like a little more.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
I have very little experiance in this area.
I have seen ONE whitetail buck taken with a 200 gr Speer and a mid range load of IMR 4064. I do not remember the load but it was in the mid-range from listed loads in the Speer #12 manual.
The shot was 112 steps over level ground. The deer was quartering toward us. The shooter was a young man (teenager) and he aimed just behind the near shoulder. The bullet broke a rib entering, travelled under the remaing ribs along the body and exited in the flank area. There were flakes of lead and jecket along the wound channel. The majaority of the bullet exited leaving an approximate 2" exit hole. The deer fell at the shot and was dead when we walked up.
The rifle was a Savage 110 series and it shot this bullet very accuratly. The bullet seemed to do every thing that was needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts