Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen a rifle chambered for this yet from one of the major manufacturers. I think it would be a nifty little round. I suspect a higher BC than the .30-06 and the .300 wsm, but less recoil than the violent .338 win mag and likely the .300 win mag. Recoil probably comparable to the .300 wsm I'm guessing, and better performance (flatter trajectory) than the .338 Federal.

Found an article from 2004 on a custom .338 WSM:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/338-winchester-short-magnum?page=1

Any of you guys experiment with this round?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm...I may have answered my own question. I just read one of Chuck Hawks' articles on the .325 wsm, and it sounds like the wsm cases work best in calibers between .27 and .31. Apparently Winchester did try it in the .33 cal and it didn't work out well.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/325wsm.htm

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
Yep, Winchester tried awful hard to make a 338WSM, but no matter what they did, it was obvious it could never compete with the 338WM. Smart move on their part, chambering it in .323" diameter and I hope it continues to be at least a moderately successful round.

However, the Aussie's have taken the WSM case and gone even bigger, with the 35 Sambar round. It's simply a 325WSM necked up to 358 and is used on much of the larger critters found down undah.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Several shooters/Hunters, in Indiana, have had rifles chambered for the .358 WSSM cartridge which meets legal cartridge Max. length. Haven't heard much about it though.:confused:

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Isn't Hornady's 338 RCM essentially a 338 "WSM"?
I'd agree, even knowing the case is of course based on the .375 Ruger (shortened) rather than the WSM case design. ;) A very good friend of mine has recently purchased a Ruger .338 RCM in SS and I am waiting for his first range report. His load of choice (for now) is the 225gr SST and his scope choice came down to the Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 (30mm) with firedot #4 reticle. Sure sounds like a great combo to me. He was looking to buy either a SS Ruger Hawkeye in .35 Whelen or the new .338RCM and went with it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Several shooters/Hunters, in Indiana, have had rifles chambered for the .358 WSSM cartridge which meets legal cartridge Max. length. Haven't heard much about it though.:confused:
Search and ye shall find. I am exceeding factory .35 Rem by 300fps and oh so close to handloaded .358 Win.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts