Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to order some cast bullets for my .338 win mag. I'll be developing both a shooting round and a  heavy moose/bear round. I've always used jacketed 250 gr. before. Rifle is Sako carbine 181/2" bbl, don't know the true bore size. The 235 and 250 gr bullets look quite a bit different, any insight into the performance differences? Any suggestions on sizing diameter for a Sako? Any favorite loads using H4831?  Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Eric,

That Sako you have wouldn't happen to be one of the 18.5" barrelled Handi-Hunter Models would it, with the factory iron sights and Sako scope rings?  

I had one of those, and like a fool got rid of it when I got my first Chronograph!  That little gun killed everything I pointed it at, and the palm swell in the pistol-grip area made it fit me like a custom gun.

Had a favorite load of 239"-235g LFNGC/74.5g H4831/Federal 215 Primer and Winchester Brass.  That load killed LOTS of game in Southern Oregon.  Like a fool I decided that the gun wasn't worth having when the load Chronographed ony 2440 fps!  I figured on at least 2700 fps out of that load, then when I discovered the true velocity, traded it off at the next Medford, Oregon Armory gun show... for a Ruger KM77MkII... straight across!  What a dummy... the things we do in our early twenties!

Anyhow, back to your question.   The load listed above worked great in my rifle, and laid game down like it knew what it was doing!  Very accurate too I might add.  The 339" diameter bullet filled the .3395" throat very well, and the groove diameter of that gun was .338" on the button.

You might shy away from the 250g LFN bullet, as the Sako's have short throats, and to use them, the base of the bullet has to be below the case neck into the powder capacity of the case in order to chamber with the short throat.   The 235's work like a champ!

Hope this helps... and if you decide to get rid of your .338 let me know!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 2 of 2 Posts