Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member looking for information regarding a rifle that i have pruchased recently thinking it was a 340 Wtby, but actually is a rifle build by J. Shannon of Spanaway Wa. in a 340 Shannon wildcat on an enfield action. Any info regarding reloading of this cartridge would be appreciated. The dies came with the rifle but no information at all.

Thank You in advance.
D. Piper

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Welcome to the forum rpiper. Rules are simple, be nice and join in.

What case is the 340 Shannon derived from if you know. I couldn't find any reference to it on my net search. At the worst you might have to make a chamber cast or cast of the dies to find out what case it's based on. If you got any loaded rounds you could mike them and compare them to other cartridges. Have you tried contacting Mr. Shannon?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob in Idaho

Bob, thank you for reply. The case is based on the original 340 Wtby Mag. When fireformed
it changes the shoulder to a sharper shoulder, ie almost the same as PO Ackley wildcat
case. I googled J Shannon Spanaway Wa and other searches to no avail. Also contacted
a hunting buddy that lives in Post Falls Idaho to see if he could find out anything pretaining
to J Shannon. I'm assuming this rifle was probably made sometime in the 60's or 70's.
Not sure of that, just assuming as i have owned it for approx 15 - 18 years, just got
interested in shooting it over the last couple of weeks, sort of stupid on my part.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sounds like you've got an 8mm Remington necked up to .338

·
Registered
2 Posts
340 Shannon

I see this may be years too lat but, Jerry passed away some time ago. I knew him well he was a personal friend of most everybody that was important in firearm from the 1920's until they died or he did. With all the work that he did to 1917 Enfields I am surprised that you knew it was an Enfield. I watched Roy Weatherby roll one over for several minutes before guessing that it was something else.
About the 340 Shannon: Jerry made his first 340 about 20 years before the 8mm Rem. Jerry had very little regard for Roy Weatherby's double radius case design. In 257, 270, and 300 Weatherby he had customers that demonstrated brass flow and neck thickening. I'm not sure but I think a friend on Elmer HAT had a 333 OKH but wanted something more for a bear hunt in Ak, about 1966. Jerry used a 375 Ackley case necked to 338. So you basically have a 30º standard shouldered 340 Weatherby. If you have not already discovered safe loads, by Jerry's standard 'no less than 10 reloads for a case ion an 80º day' you should start with 340 Weatherby loads. Jerry used H-4831 for his 340 and 358 Norma, well, for that fact he only used H-4831 for everything from his 263 Saber and up. I think I may know your rifle, did he stamp a name on the bottom of the barrel? It most likely has a straight grained walnut or a bird's eye maple stock from Rhinehart Fagin.
I hope you enjoyed the rifle. I'm in the process of building a 340 Shannon of my own, and I dearly wish Jerry was still here to do it for me.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Welcome to Shooter's Forum, D Jaxon. :)

With stories like that to tell, I surely do hope you stick around and share a few more.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Here's how you start...

Here's how you start: Determine the case capacity in grains of water, then find shells with the same bullet diameter that also have the same or very similar water capacities. I'm going to guess a 340 Weatherby is one of those really big shells with a short neck and a double-radius shoulder. I'm going to guess water capacity is about 95-100 grains. Just of the top of my balding pate, the 300RUM has a capacity of 105 grains. So look up reloading data for that shell, do a little math and reduce by 10% to start. You could also PM ASSASSIN. He's a very competent gunsmith, and could probably lead you in the right direction...

·
Registered
9 Posts
This thread may be long dead, but just incase. I happened into some of the estate of Jerry Shannon. In it included some 375 H&H cases formed to the 340 Shannon cartridge. If you still have the rifle, give me a holler and we can work something out . Be well. Justin

In that lot were two sets of dies, that I belive were made by the above poster D Jaxon
One set in 30-30 and another in 300 savage. Nice work JAX.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another side note: That 26 Nosler cartridge that everyone seems so excited for.... It's actually the 263 Sabre, made by, yup you guessed it, Jerry Shannon in 1967.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Another side note: That 26 Nosler cartridge that everyone seems so excited for.... It's actually the 263 Sabre, made by, yup you guessed it, Jerry Shannon in 1967.
You think Nosler waited until all was quiet on the Western Front before they brought out the 26? Exactly how close to the Shannon is the Nosler?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Gunslinger13, that one looks like some kind of 6.5 x 06. The newbie 26 and 28 Noslers are made from the 7mm RUM cases, which Nosler also sells. So they are also rebated, 0.550" diameter case heads, and Jefferey based. I believe that the 26 Nosler has 93 grs. of water capacity to its case mouth. But by how much it will out perform a Shannon 263 Saber is open to conjecture. All things being equal, I bet this Shannon Saber will feed better out of a CRF action.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I stand corrected. The article I had read had clearly stated the use of 30-06 parent case for the Nosler.
It so rarely happens of what you read on the Internet is wrong:eek: How can I know that anything else is ever true?!? lol
Thank you for steering me right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jerry Shannon of Washington Load Manuals

Anyone know if Jerry Shannon of Spannaway ever wrote a Handloaders Manual or some form of literature that gave the pertanent information on his caliber designs?
Specifically he necked the 7x61 Sharpe and Hart to 6.5 and called it the 6.5x261 Shannon. At least that is what I've read. Now if I wanted to build one do I accept the old Sharpe and Hart case or the new Norma Super case?
I would think there might even.be reamers out there.
Anyone with info on Jerry's work please leave me a place to contact or here.
thank you

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
I would think there might even be reamers out there.
First place I'd look for reamers is Pacific Tool and Gauge. They have hundreds of designs in their catalog. CH-4D is another place that offers a slew of dies for oddball cartridges.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a new member looking for information regarding a rifle that i have pruchased recently thinking it was a 340 Wtby, but actually is a rifle build by J. Shannon of Spanaway Wa. in a 340 Shannon wildcat on an enfield action. Any info regarding reloading of this cartridge would be appreciated. The dies came with the rifle but no information at all.

Thank You in advance.
D. Piper
My landlord has a 340 Shannon custom rifle, all the reloading dies, data and bullets. He would be willing to sell the lot or $1,000 OBO. If anyone is interested contact me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts