Shooters Forum banner

340 Weatherby - I Think I Am In Love With This Rifle

6K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  old roy 240 
#1 · (Edited)
######### &&&&&&&

#2 ·
I think I need to get my RUM rebarreled to .338 RUM. Then you and I going to have to get together and go kill something tough and mean :D

Good shooting. I knew the 250gr Accubonds would work well. I havent found many guns that dont like heavy for caliber Accubonds. My Wife's 7 Mag loves the 160's.

#4 · (Edited)
Sunday Funday Sunday, tune in to the match up of the year. Wby vs Rum :D

See how fun that sounds ?

The Nosler 6th, shows IMR7828 as the most accurate powder tested. BUT, max is 86gr, and they only acchieved 2818 fps. You managed to get .338 Ultra Mag speed out of yours. Very nice job !

#12 ·
It will be very hard to beat Beartracker's rifle, plus at the end of the day he can BUY ammo in a pinch. For all the extra money blown and a factory gun turned into something else, you will not do better than Beartracker, from what I can see. Nice rig BT. Hope some people remember this is YOUR thread!;)

#16 ·
Thanks guys, I do enjoy all of your comments, discussion and impute and your encouragement about my new rifle. It will be fun to see where it goes, but if I was to stop right now that under max load at 2913fps with the 250gr Accubond grouping just over a 1/2" from center to center would be very respectable as a hunting load. So anything else I can accomplish with this rifle is just gravy on top the potatoes. :)

#21 ·
That is a great picture Tang! Cool to see all the 338's stacked up there. Wonder what bullet is in the 340WBY?

Mike, that is dead on. If you stopped load development now, you would have one heckuva load with that 340, and no elk or bear would ever notice the difference. Excellent first load and look forward to seeing more. Scotty

#28 ·
That is a great picture Tang! Cool to see all the 338's stacked up there. Wonder what bullet is in the 340WBY?

Mike, that is dead on. If you stopped load development now, you would have one heckuva load with that 340, and no elk or bear would ever notice the difference. Excellent first load and look forward to seeing more. Scotty
I believe it was a 250gr Woodleigh http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=664325

#32 ·
Wow, great bull elk!

Tang, I guess the Woodleigh looked bigger in the 340 case, thought it might have been one of the 300gr'ers that are available. Scotty
It may be. I dont remember who gave that to me, or I would ask.

Tang, thanks for the reply on recoil. I won.t be needing one here in New York! Those large .338's must be VERY effective on the big stuff.

Anytime. I'm a cornucopia of useless calculations and ballistic software charts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.