Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for data for the 348 Ackley improved.  It has been difficukt to come by especially for the more modern powders.  I am using a Browning 71 carbine with 20' barrel.  All help will be much appreciatted!!!

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Garth,

I've scanned the data from P.O. Ackley's Volume I Handbook For Shooters & Reloaders, 1962 version on the .348 Ackley Improved.

Please keep in mind that the Powders we have today, even though they have the same designations by name and number, are different than they were forty years ago!  Also, Parker Ackley wasn't bashful about pressures!  He often times published data that is downright scary!

However, all disclaimers put aside, this should give you an excellent place to start.

Proceed with prudence!  God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
82 Posts
Try Wolfe Publishing's Big Bore book. Has a great chapter on the 348 Ackley. I shoot a 35/348 IMP, pretty much the same except for a little bigger diameter bullet. Cases last forever and velocities can be surprising. I normally shoot 250's at 2500 but have gone up 2750. You are lucky that Barnes makes an X bullet for you. Buy  a bunch and go hunting. The Hornady 200 grain is a little soft for big game, but is fine for deer. Good Hunting!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try and find that Wolf book!!
Velocities not all that impressive so far but have only tried IMR 4350.   Gettin about 2475 with the 220gr. X bullet.  Not quite 2200 with 250Gr. Barnes.

thanks again!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
garth,                  
 I have a 71 browning
carbine also. I've
thought about the .348
ackley some, who did
your rechamber job. how
much did it cost? with
mine I load 200 gr.
hornadys to 2450 fps wth
63 gr. IMR4350,REM#9-1/2
primer. shoots about
1-1/2" at 100 yds. with
a peep sight. the book
"BIG BORE RIFLES &
CARTRIDGES" actually has
2 stories, first about
the std .348, then the
2nd. with same model
browning 71 and same
bbl. length. not quite
as good as the gun but
close.  they show 250gr.
barnes originals at 2420 fps with a top load of 66gr. of IMR4350,CCI 200 primer. 2407 fps with 57gr. of IMR4064,same primer. hope this helps out...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pete,  Bain & Davis did the rechamber job some years ago.  I had purchased the reamer and they charged &#3675.00 to do the work.  My gun displays similar accuracy to yours shooting araoung 11/4" to 11/2" with anything I put in it.  I am not getting that hi of velocity with 250gr. bullets thus far, but my load development has been very limited. Mybe I just have a slow rifle.  The 220gr Barnes X at about 2500 seems best so far for all around use. I am planning on trying some of Hawks bullets soon. If you decide to rechamber forming cases can be a problem. I have found that without annealing I would lose almost 50% to splitting in the shoulder area. With annealing I have no problems.  If you need a reamer I could loan you mine, It's just sitting around.

Thanks for the tips,
Garth
[email protected]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Watch out for those hawk bullets. I've shot three of them into mule deer and am NOT impressed. The only piece I recovered weighed 19 grains and that was on a 50 yard center chest shot. The bullet entered the heart and exited in FOUR pieces, the only one I could find was  a piece of lead that weighed 19 grains. These were .358 diameter flat points with .030 thick jackets. Muzzle velocity was 2350. These bullets will also skyrocket pressure as the jacket is very soft. I have some Kodiak 250's now but haven't used them on game. Just ate the last of our elk last night so maybe this fall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Garth, I have a 1945 Winchester Model 348 that my grandfather bought new in '46. He had it bored by P.O. Ackley in 1963 when he was in Utah for a couple weeks. He has since passed down this gun to me, among many other old Winchesters. I have tried many different loads on it and I have found only 2 that really do me any good. Since I can't find a 180gr. bullet anymore (anyone?) I have to use 200gr. bullets, but 55gr of 4350
does great on Whitetails and 68gr. does good on Caribou and Moose. I have tried the 71gr. load but to be honest, that one scares me a little. I'd hate to ruin the gun since it is irreplaceable to me. Anyway, that's what I have found that works for me.

Kurt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts