Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting a .348 WCF Ackley Improved: This is the most effective AI job I have done. I also have a 7x57, .258 Roberts, 8mm-06 all of which have been most satisfying. I hope somebody has developed loads for the Leverevolution powder in .348 WCF?

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Welcome to the shooters forum!

Concerning your question, I haven't shot a .348, regular or improved nor reloaded one. Maybe a call to Hodgdon?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Welcome Cspook.

might want to try Hornady 200 gr FTX, plastic tipped bullet. will put you 348 into 35 wehlen class. 320 BC

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Harry: I did call both Hogdon and Hornady: Both had no infor or recommendations. Basic reason: Too few folks shooting .348's to make it worth their time to work up loads. I am however using the FTX. they are much too fragile at the speeds my Improved chamber produces. I am still working up other bullets, but sure wish I could try the LVR powder

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,331 Posts
Alternatively, it could not be used because it's a progressive. They can be cranky, or just flat lousy for velocity when taken outside their happy place.

Cheers

Reactions: broom_jm

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have used Leverevolution in many Levergun cartridges before data was availiable. What I found was that it did not work good on heavier bullets. Other powders gave better velocities with heavy bullets.

This powder is not for you because it was designed with the 30-30 and 308 MX in mind. It is not the same powder that is used in the 338MX. You can tell this by looking at load data for the 338MX. The max load using Leverevoulution is about 200 fps slower than factory ammo. So there is no magic in this powder for your 348AI. Over at Marlin Owners they use 2520 to get close to the 338MX factory velocity.

·
Registered
515 Posts
According to Hodgdon, LVR powder is used in Hornady .338MX and .35 Remington factory ammunition. Hodgdon .338 MX data shows that LVR produces over 100 fps more velocity than any other powder with the FTX bullet and comes reasonably close to Hornady factory-published ammunition velocity. No reason it would be inappropriate to try it in the OP’s rifle - if he has the skill to safely develop a load.

https://www.hodgdon.com/leverevolution/

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,331 Posts
1) According to Hodgdon, LVR powder is used in Hornady .338MX and .35 Remington factory ammunition.

2) No reason it would be inappropriate to try it in the OP’s rifle - if he has the skill to safely develop a load.
1) No, that's isn't at all what they claim. You think they said A, whereas their words actually say B.

A) This is the powder that Hornady uses to load the following factory ammo, 338mx, 30-30, and many more.
B) This powder gets used somewhere in the LeverEvolution brand of factory ammo. It is really limited in magic, but when appropriate can offer gains over factory loadings.

The link you provided further lists some cartridges that you can use it in, not what it is used in. Looking at that LeverEvolution ammo line, over on hornady's site; the factory ammo for both the 35 Rem and 338 Marlin is 100+ fps faster than Hodgdon's load data....

2) Sure there is, it's found in the link you provided:
The list of cartridges and bullets is limited with this highly specialized powder, but where it works, it really works!
Unless someone has some load data for that powder in that application, no amount of "skill" will inform them of the pressures being run, and therefore the safety of the load. Only equipment and testing can inform you of such things.

Cheers

·
Registered
210 Posts
LVR and rl-15 give identical velocities in my 35-300 20in. barrel marlin 336 with 250gr speer bullets but is an average of 70fps different with 220gr speer fn I believe the burn rate is identical but the rl-15 starts quicker by the look of my primers I hope that makes sense. .if you can find rl-15 load data for the 348 you may be able to figure a starting point for LVR ..im using 358 winchester brass with a 40% shoulder and little shorter neck ..not sure this helps but I believe it can be done

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Hodgdon has been very explicit in their guidance on both Superformance and LVR powder: They don't recommend using it unless they have published data for it. They don't provided that guidance on other powders, which suggests there is a VERY good reason that they do so on Superformance and LVR.

The LVR we buy off the shelf is NOT the exact same powder they're using in the factory loads; at least not for all of cartridges/loads under the "Leverevolution" brand name.

The 348 AI has a lot more case capacity than the 35 Remington, 30/30 or even the 338MX. It's one thing to extrapolate on how much spaghetti to make for a large party of dinner guests...extrapolating on how much of a progressive powder to use in a dramatically different cartridge is really quite risky.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The best option I found with the 348 Win was the Barnes monolithic Hollow Point, it layed deer and elk in the grass, but for whatever reason Barnes discontinued it, probably due to lack of sales and few folks even knew it existed..Today I use the 220 Barnes original...

I like the 348 Ackley but it just too **** expensive these days for components of all kinds, brass at $90. a box of 20 and a box of ammo if you can find it is $90 to $105. I have 300 cases and dies, just can't bring myself to make the change to a Ackley for what little you get for you buck..Being an old wildcatter, Ive become anti wildcat these days, just no place to go but fiddeling around with something new that has no real advantage other than the only difference in men and boys is the cost of mens toys!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts