Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that a 30-30 or 32 Special levergun can be reamed to .358 to clean up corroded rifling. Then it's simply a matter of neck sizing the parent case to accept 35 caliber bullets. But I'm wondering if a 30-30 has ever been bored for .348 bullets. Seems like an easy way to shoot 250 grain bullets from a handy carbine such as the 336 Marlin.

I recently handled a Mosin Nagant that had been bored to accept 8mm bullets. The owner stated to me that it was quite accurate, indeed. But I'm wondering if the same rifle would do just as well bored to .348. Yes, I'm attracted to the notion of owning a wildcat rifle that shoots .348 bullets. An original Winchester 71 in .348 is too costly for me to consider.

Please share any comments or input. Thank you.

TR

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Most of the ".348 Wildcats" were rounds based on the 348 Winchester cartridge, necked up and down. Some of those cartridges had the rim turned off and and extractor groove cut in...but that ain't what you're asking about a'tall. :)

Buy an old 30/30. Send it to JES out in Oregon and have it bored out to shoot .348" diameter bullets. Contrive a way to neck a few 30/30 cases up to hold a .348 bullet, then start writing checks. You might not need a dedicated reamer, but you will need custom dies made up.

In the end, you'll wish like h*** you'd just gone with a 35-30/30 or a 35 Remington. By shooting bullets that are .010" larger, you gain access to a bunch of standard and wildcat rounds, plus a relatively huge selection of bullets to choose from.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am convinced that my .348 Wildcat ideas are far too limited by bullet selections. Thanks for the input!

TR

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Costly plus..

Might just go find a 38-55 or a Win. 307 ..... 348 components are few and costly...What a lot of folks don't understand is the 348 clones the 30-06 as to ballistics...Go check your reloading books..Ive had more challenges and apoligises on that statement than you can imagine..I have always had a Win mod. 71 in .348, love the gun, not to hot on the caliber in an form...

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
No one will chamber anything based on the 348 Win. cases in a Win. M. 1894 action. The carbine barrel's threaded tenon is only 3/4'rs of an inch in diameter. Win. went to the 94 BB for first the 375 BB, and then for the Angle Eject 307, and 356 BB's, which are reloaded with 308 and 358 dies. They also managed to alibi their way to chamber the shorty 444 Lever Revolution, but you still need to use Hornady's sleeved seating die for those shorter than standard 444 M. cases. Plus, all of these require good roll crimped ammunition to run in lever actions' tubular magazines. The BB actions use a nominal 1 inch in dia. barrel tenon, in a skeletonized receiver.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Buy an old 30/30. Send it to JES out in Oregon and have it bored out to shoot .348" diameter bullets. Contrive a way to neck a few 30/30 cases up to hold a .348 bullet, then start writing checks. You might not need a dedicated reamer, but you will need custom dies made up.

In the end, you'll wish like h*** you'd just gone with a 35-30/30 or a 35 Remington. By shooting bullets that are .010" larger, you gain access to a bunch of standard and wildcat rounds, plus a relatively huge selection of bullets to choose from.

you had my attention until you mention the custom dies!!!! the most expensive dies i have is around $120 from ch4d. JES Reboring did my win m94 into a 35/30-30. i luv it!!! and yes, it is my most expensive dies. bullet selection is abysmal, but boolit selection is a God send.

but 348/30-30 custom dies makes me wonder. i'd go and buy post '64 win 94 in 30-30 and i would send it to jesse to make a 35/30-30. you won't be sorry if you do!!!!

oh!!!! and buy a williams fp sight too!!!!!!

sighting it in

Attachments

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The O.P. said 30-30 action

They do base a lot of 348 wildcats in the Marlin 336 rifle. including the famous 50 Alaskan.

https://www.wildwestguns.com/product/wild-west-guns-custom-alaska-guide/
Wild West Guns in Alaska uses the larger Marlin 45-70 G. actions for those truncated 50-110 Win. based proprietary cartridges.

I have an early Marlin Guide Gun with the ported 18 inch long barrel. It's a different customer than the 30-30 Win. M-336 lever action carbine. I once had a 444 M. Centennial Marlin Lever action, but I can't speak as to it's barrel tenon's diameter. I never took it's barrel off and put on one with Winchester style riflings, instead of the slooow 1 in 38 micro-groove tube that came from the factory.

Later I made up a wildcat 44 x 356BB, in a post 64 Win. M-94, but I have to be careful about the pressures my hand loads develop in it. The two BB's are 51mm just like their rimless counterparts, so my cat is also 51mm long. The 444 Lever Revolution cartridge is 52mm long and it will not go all the way into my chamber. This is good, as it is loaded way too hot for the old 1894 vintage, 0.750" barrel tenon.

BTW, it doesn't have the classic 30-30 Win. rim, either. So it's not worth trimming these 52mm cases back, unless 356BB brass becomes unavailable. Then I can modify my top ejector claw to handle the 444 Marlin's rims. But, so far, that's still far down the road.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The .348 bullets are made for the 348 Winchester, they may not preform well at slower speeds. Look at a .358 bore.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The old 71 Winchester is great for its intended purpose. Why try to screw it up by making it into something that was never intended. 200 gr. WW factory ammo clocks 2488 fps from my Browning M. 71 Carbine and 100 fps more from an original Winchester M 71 Rifle. Unfortunately, you are not getting the best performance from this rifle/cartridge combination until you step up to the Barnes 250 gr. Original bullet. That will get you 2297 fps. and more knockdown power on both ends in a superior Black Bear combination. Original Winchester Model 71 prices are reaching the stratosphere, and Browning Model 71 prices are not that far behind. You can duplicate .348 Win. performance with the .358 Winchester and ballistics are virtually identical with 200 and 250 grain bullets. 200 gr. WW factory loads clock 2489 from my Savage 99, and a 250 gr. WW Flat Point bullet registers 2355 in my .358 Win BLR. Both are proven bear killers. Unfortunately both rifles are no longer made, but everything has its price. All good cartridges, and rifles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts